What's the easiest playing acoustic you've played??

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mangoman, Jan 14, 2015.

1. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

I currently have a Taylor 414ce, that I really love.....needs a little electronics work again...but that's another story...

Other than just really getting a great set up, any others that are easy players out there??

2. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I bought a Martin 000cRGTE16 for its playability.

taylor GS mini is also stupid fun to play.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Once a guitar is set up properly its "playability" is more a matter of player preference than it is a function of the guitar. I find my Martin D18GE to be very comfortable for me, while another player might hate the wide mod-V neck. The poster above likes the GS-Mini ... while I have no use for it. Whatever floats YOUR boat.

4. 8TrackJoe

8TrackJoe Member

I would second what RustyAxe about individual preferences. My easiest to play guitar is my Ovation I can play for hours and run up/down the neck with no problems, but there is another guitarist that I know that can't handle the soft V neck of the Ovation. Most Taylor guitars I find the action very nice on, but at the same time there are others that don't like them. Another guitar that I personally like as far as the neck is Yamaha. The A3 series from them just feels good in my hand. As RustyAxe mentioned on the setup, I recently played around on a Oscar Schmidt guitar that the shop had setup nicely and it played and felt good which really surprised me cause it really is an entry level guitar.

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Comfort is also not static. Just part of the body aging can cause preferences to change. It may become harder to play say a large body guitar and preferences for neck profiles and nut widths may go one way or the other. I prefer both a wide nut meaning over 1 3/4" and a strng spread of at least a string spread at the bridge of 2 1/4". Does not mean I cannot play a guitar with a narrower nut and string spread just the guitar I consider the most comfortable to play (an early 1930s Oahu Jumbo) has a 1 13/16" nut and 2 5/16" string spread. I also like a big old chunky neck which is not a problem as many of my guitars have no neck reinforcement other than the girth of the neck itself. Most folks who refer to this guitar or that having a baseball bat neck have never played something like an old Oscar Schmidt Stella. The neck on my 1940s Regal 12 string is just downright scary.

6. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

The easiest to play for me was not a full acoustic but a Godin Acousticaster, which played exactly like a good electric guitar (with a Fenderish neck). For a "real" acoustic, the easiest to play for me is easily my current acoustic, that had a good action to begin with, but which I've had the frets replaced on - with electric style jumbos. It plays with a .012-.054 set of strings on it like they were 10s.

EDIT: I forgot to say what make the guitar is, and so on... it is a custom OM model made by David Amirault of John David Scott Guitars, located in the Vancouver, B.C. area. Wonderful guitar.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  7. davess23

davess23 Member

Among acoustics, I find Taylor guitars easy to play in the sense that their necks are very "electric" in feel. If I've been playing electric a lot, going to a Taylor doesn't require much adjustment.

But "easy to play" means much more than that to me. Body size and shape, neck contour, and above all else, setup are critical. An accurately spaced and cut nut and saddle, a neck set just right and good frets can make an amazing difference. Right now I'd say my old Collings SJ is the easiest-playing of my acoustics. It just had a long-overdue neck reset and a new bridge saddle, and now it practically plays itself.

8. sanrico

sanrico Member

A Taylor 414ce. It agrees with me, so I've been looking to buy one for a while. I've been playing for three decades, but I never developed very strong hands, so I NEED a guitar that is easy to play. I hate guitars that fight back.

I have a beautiful Takamine Santa Fe DSF-48c that sounds great plugged in, but it fights me so much, I have just about abandoned it. No setup seems to help.

9. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Agreed. All of my acoustics are equally comfortable and easy to play for me, then again that was part of the criteria of why I bought them in the first place. I personally like OM's and have a Collings and Martin - both play super easy.

10. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

My PRS SE Angelus is by far the easiest playing acoustic I've ever touched.

11. rvf263

rvf263 Supporting Member

Takamine and Alvarez are suppose to be real easy and comfortable to play.

Alot of people also love the feel of a Larrivee acoustic

12. Russ73

Russ73 Member

I third the taylors for the electric feeling necks, I don't have a high end taylor....114e....but because I find it playable I find myself picking it up more often than not...sonically it bounces also so I like hearing my playing it...lol

13. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

Taylors, Breedlove, and Ovations have been the easiest for me. Well, the Ovation was easy on the neck part, but not on the body part..need to use a strap on that one cause of the rounded plastic back.

14. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

My 414ce is pretty rockin'! I can, and do, play it all night with no issues.

15. frennis

frennis Member

I'll second the Taylor GS mini. Super easy to play, comfortable (small), and sounds big.

16. Seorie

Seorie Member

I have an Alvarez-Yairi 12 (1987) string that when I got it in '98 was setup and played the 'EASIEST' of any guitar I've owned, partly due to the neck / fingerboard which are a dream.
    Now thats good and well enough - but - I you want to PLAY the thing - depending how you play, obviously your gonna have a given guitar SET-UP too accommodate YOUR playing style. A good part of that is raising the action which I needed to do otherwise with my picking style / energy the strings just clatter off the fingerboard, and you cant get the full tone or dynamics off what a guitar without being able to 'dig in'.
    I have developed enough strength and skill to handle a 'high' action so it's not a problem too me.
    heres how I play -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st7Rm28TGR

and six string -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXdGXIRSibo

I just couldn't produce the range of sound I get on '
    the easiest playing acoustic you've played??'

as Paganini said "you must take the instrument like a lion takes a lamb"

17. sunoy14

sunoy14 Member

The easiest to play for me was my yamaha gl1 guitalele. It was so small and light that I could do anything with it. Playing while lying down was far easier with my gl1 than my takamine eg440c.
    Plus it had nylon strings :D

18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

They're all easy-playing because I know exactly what I want when having initial setups done.

19. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

20. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

After many years, and many, many, acoustics, this one is my easy player... 2002 Gibson L-130 with a neck that fits just right! [​IMG]