Whats the final word on Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary?

Whats the final word on Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary?

• They´re great speakers!

Votes: 207 77.5%
  • They suck!

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • They only sound good mixed with other speakers

Votes: 35 13.1%

• Total voters

Dannyz

There´s a lot of information about this speaker, but sometimes it gets confusing.

71XETA6n-cL._SY355_.jpg

50% of people love it, the other 50% hate it. Ive heard from various folks that it sound better than the Heritage UK version (and a lot more expensive). Others said that it takes a life to loosen up the cone.

So, whats the final word about this speaker?

De Batz

It's loud, big in the bass and has an extended treble response. It's less 'static' than a Vintage 30 and less kerrang-y in the midrange than Greenbacks. Monstrous sound from a set of four. If they're too biting or treble-y for you, that's what you'll notice, but for me, they're about right.

Sounds great in a (BF) Deluxe. Suits both American and British type sounds for that big low end. Some people find them stiff (the H magnet is firmer in the lows than the M) and some people find them too revealing in the high end. It's a great speaker for lots of different applications, but as you say, some folk don't like them.

Last word: great.

illini

Nice review ^^^
I like them, but are bright by nature, and very bright out of the box. They take awhile to break in, but soften quite a bit.

Guinness Lad

I disagree with the first post, unless you have the amp for it you will find them boomy and the harshest speaker Celestion makes other than their cheap junk. If it's old and broken in with the right amp it can sound good, but the speakers that I heard that fit this mold were both made in the 90's, you really want to wait? Could possibly be one of my least favorite speakers made.

Jr Deluxe

They sound good in fenders if you want a more british sound . They sound good in lower watt marshall combos . Ive not had 4 in a x12 cab so i cant testify but i like chinese greenbacks in a 4x12 and i think its the same coil and cone. in fact i dont see how someone who likes current greenbacks think the 70th annivs are harsh. Except for the mag its the same speaker.

zenas

I use one in a 62 Ampeg Reverberocket for whatever reason I like Celestions in old Ampegs and not in anything else. Just me I suppose.
It's a very loud (efficient) speaker, so not my first choice for a home player.

MissoulaGriz

Very nice speaker. Tight, booming bass and crisp highs. Probably not best for a bedroom player and may not work best by itself in a 1x12. I’ve found them killer as part of a mixed pairing with either a V30 or Alnico. A 2x12 with either of these pairings is fantastic.

Guinness Lad

They sound good in fenders if you want a more british sound . They sound good in lower watt marshall combos . Ive not had 4 in a x12 cab so i cant testify but i like chinese greenbacks in a 4x12 and i think its the same coil and cone. in fact i dont see how someone who likes current greenbacks think the 70th annivs are harsh. Except for the mag its the same speaker.
An Anniversary and a Greenback sound nothing alike.

Sigmund Floyd

Silver Supporting Member
I had one in the tiny terror combo...
One of the best overdriven sounds i’ve Ever had, at loud volumes. I could not reproduce it with just the tt head so I think it’s a great speaker. Or it was a great match.

De Batz

I disagree with the first post, unless you have the amp for it you will find them boomy and the harshest speaker Celestion makes other than their cheap junk. If it's old and broken in with the right amp it can sound good, but the speakers that I heard that fit this mold were both made in the 90's, you really want to wait? Could possibly be one of my least favorite speakers made.

Interesting that you call it harsh. I'd certainly agree that it does have lots of high end, perhaps extended to higher highs than a GB. What amp(s) are we talking about? I'd say I prefer the mids/highs of the G12H-30 to the Vintage 30, but it's marginal.

I prefer H-magnet speakers in general for the cleaner end of the spectrum, and then for really big heavy sounds, with M-magnet speakers for mid-gain British sounds. And I've not had the pleasure of the G12H Creamback, so I'd be interested to have a go with one of those, but time/money constraints make it unlikely!

Dannyz

Ive heard that Bogner use them in combination with Greenbacks G12M. The Bogner Alchemist matching cab and Goldfinger use that configuration. Anyone tried one of those cabs (or configuration, G12M + G12H30 70th)?

Reactions: Roe

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
Ive heard that Bogner use them in combination with Greenbacks G12M. The Bogner Alchemist matching cab and Goldfinger use that configuration. Anyone tried one of those cabs (or configuration, G12M + G12H30 70th)?

Yes, terrific combination; Matchless uses this combo, too.

Reactions: Roe

indeedido

Silver Supporting Member
My experience, they are a vanilla sounding speaker. They don't excel in any frequency but don' fail either. If you think in terms of a t75 being mid scooped and a v30 pushing mids, these speakers have a balanced eq. To me they don' have any character (sterile) and are smooth. I like a little speaker breakup. I played mine with my superlead and 5150 before selling them for 20 watt heritage greenbacks.

Funny you should ask. My TopHat Club Deluxe came with this speaker from the factory. That was 10 years ago, so I can't recall if it needed to be broken in, but, after 10 years, it's still in this amp, so that should tell you that I like it. At least in this amp. FWIW, I play lead guitar in a classic rock band, so take that into consideration. It cuts through the mix well with a Les Paul or ES-335.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom