Whats the frequency kenneth

djdrdave

How do they get that hyper tremolo sound in whats the frequency kenneth by rem. I wondered for years but never looked it up.

djdrdave

Is that how REM does it. Out of luck i guess since no les paul or equivalent right now and cant get my tremolo effect to sound right

Thanks for the tips though.

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
having seen them LIVE and having never seem them do that correctly , my guess it was done in the studio - probably a gate being opened / closed by a click or loop

Or I guess it could've been done ONCE perfectly and then flown around in ProTools for the master

but it would be difficult to do that tightly over and over

that's a cool trick - and I use it myself - but it's usually not in a "locked to grid" type rhythm like in that REM song.. more often at the end of a song or solo where tight subdivisions aren't as crucial

JimmyR

Well I read in an interview that Peter Buck had just got himself a (gasp!) Mesa Boogie Tremoverb or whatever it's called and used the trem all over that album. I don't know if that's the effect you mean but I know that's the amp he used.

art_z

Silver Supporting Member
Well I read in an interview that Peter Buck had just got himself a (gasp!) Mesa Boogie Tremoverb or whatever it's called and used the trem all over that album. I don't know if that's the effect you mean but I know that's the amp he used.
This. I remember the same interview.

When I saw them live on that tour it was the pickup selector switch to toggles the pickups, I watched him do it.

teleking36

Supporting Member
i would think that cranking the depth on a square wave pattern would get that. i can get real close to it with my Diamond Trem on that setting. Close enough where I'm not concerned about needing a guitar with a 3-way toggle just to do it!

metropolis74

MuseCafeChris

Hmmm. I have a Tremoverb and had no idea it was capable of that type of stuttering trem. Looks like I might have to experiment with it more. "Crush with Eyeliner" is loaded with it too.

Makes me feel better about owning a T-Verb, though. Great guitar tones on "Monster."

screamtone

Supporting Member
This. I remember the same interview.

When I saw them live on that tour it was the pickup selector switch to toggles the pickups, I watched him do it.
Yep. Tremoverb.

I got in an argument with Tag about this a few years back.

mike shaw

FWIW, REM was playing live on some tv program and the toggle switch thing was how it was done. At least how it was done at that time!

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Yep,
I had a '94 Tremoverb 212 combo, and could do a spot on version of
'What's the frequency...'.

GREAT AMP,
S>
j

enocaster

I recall an article saying that during the sessions they sent an assistant out to a guitar store to get a certain type of pedal and they bought the wrong one - he came back with a trem pedal (Boss TR-2?) and they ended up using the square wave setting for that tune.

THiwaTT

I can get a pretty close approximation with the square wave tremelo on my Modfactor

I think ZVex might have some sort of crazy trem pedal that does this as well