What's the funniest thing you've ever overheard in public?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by beatcomber, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

I remember writing this down. In the Kings Arms pub in Oxford:

He: The barbarian American hoards have invaded the Arms.
    She: Honestly, why do we even bother?
    He: It's the ales, principally
    She: Some cheek, you!

2. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

In a Philadelphia bar, about 1987 after a 6' 5" transvestite slapped a drunk college dude so hard that he fell off his bar stool: "Why don't you tell your friends you got your ass kicked by a f*ggot!!!!!"

Scrapperz, bullnose, Porfirio and 5 others like this.
  3. davess23

davess23 Member

It seems that gas often plays a prominent role in these stories. My story will just add fuel to the fire.

This was long ago, when I was a kid, at an open-air church at summer camp. Best-timed loud fart I've ever heard in my life. It was a non-denominational service and the minister had been talking about how Native Americans communed with the Great Spirit in the natural world.

He said something like, "And here we are, outdoors on this beautiful summer morning. Let's have a minute of silence, everyone, and listen to the wind in the trees, and the singing birds, and maybe you'll hear the Great Spirit." Immediately we all got really quiet. Sure enough, about 20 seconds into the silence this heavyset kid let rip a real buzz-saw of a fart, with plenty of volume, excellent stamina, and a rising inflection at the conclusion. It certainly sounded as if it must've been a really memorable olfactory delight, but I was far enough from the source that for me it was all about the music. Of course the place just cracked up. We were all on log benches, and kids were laughing so hard they fell off. I was laughing so hard it hurt. I've hoped for something similar at every service I've attended since, but so far no luck.

Kentano2000, Scrapperz, om42 and 6 others like this.
  4. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

Good for her/him!

5. Lance

Lance Member

They prefer to be referred to as, "They." Like you are addressing two people.

beatcomber likes this.
  6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

So good. Thanks for sharing.

DYNA BILL likes this.
  7. Lucky Jack

Lucky Jack Member

As two very groovy people were parting in a Whole Foods parking lot in Santa Fe:
    "Call me, we'll meditate."

8. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

True story.

I teach 8th grade. My first year I overheard one of my students say, "actually, it's not that bad if you just swallow it really fast."

So much for MY innocence.

time2kill likes this.
  9. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Well, the cheeseburger chowder at our nation's middle schools is not exactly haute cuisine!

10. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

At a bar in Bogota, NJ, they had a bartender named Tommy who was kind of young Joe Pesci character. When patrons were walking out the door around closing time he'd shout: "Drive fast! Smoke in bed!"

Fatboy666, russ6100, Papanate and 2 others like this.
  11. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

This guy was called "Madame Junior" and he had arms on him like LeBron James.

Lance likes this.
  12. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Had a big party with extended family for my mom’s 85th at the Parkside, a very old-school Italian restaurant in Corona, a neighborhood in Queens NY (as in “goodbye to Rosie, the queen of Corona...seeing me and Julio down by the schoolyard...”). As I’m walking in, a young woman and man are having a very tense hushed conversation in a corner.

(Insert THICK NY accents):

HIM: “You know I would nevah disrespect Tony!!”
    HER: “I’m just sayin’...dats what I’m hearin’...people aah tawkin’...”

It was hard to keep a poker face...moreover I was a bit worried that the party might be punctuated by an unfortunate business transaction, but thankfully we made it through the evening without any fireworks.

time2kill and Fatherflot like this.
  13. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Overheard on the SF Bay Ferry between the Embarcadero and Larkspur: "Man my urine tasted really weird this morning."

Porfirio, Papanate, Glenn D. and 3 others like this.
  14. Lance

Lance Member

Reminds me of the one time I went to NY to see the Allman Bros. on their last run at the Beacon in 2013. My buddy and I wanted one of those famous NY pastrami sandwiches. We find a great place, but I can't remember the name. We were sitting at our table and the next table over had this older Jewish couple, that couldn't have been more than 4.5' tall. We over-hear the husband say more loudly, "No, my cousin Ira. The one with the big fahm up in Yonkers." It was a total Seinfeld moment, LOL!

Leader Desslok and xjojox like this.
  15. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ Member

In the queue to go to the observation deck at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. A question from a young man in his late teens / early 20s to his father...

"Dad, how come we [the USA] ain't in the EU?"

guitargeek6298 and FiestaRed like this.
  16. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ Member

no wait, one more...

At the train station in Leeds (a city in the North of England), overheard in the gent's toilets from one of the stalls ...

(Sing it with me...)

"Oh Sh!tty you're so fine
    you're so fine
    you blow my mind
    hey Sh!tty!"

No, they didn't do the hand claps.

Kentano2000, Papanate and beatcomber like this.
  17. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

:eek::eeks:omg

18. offbeat

offbeat Member

I used to manage a grocery store, and one busy day, the son of a good customer decided to give me a hug. He was about 4, and came charging up unexpectedly. Normally, I'd squat down and give him a hug, but on this particular day I didn't see him coming. He charged head-first right into my 'package'. In front of a group of ladies waiting at the meat counter. I said "Ooof" or something similar, and hobbled toward the back room in embarrassment. As I was staggering away, I heard the little boy announce to the ladies, "I hit Offbeat in the wiener!"

bullnose, Porfirio, Papanate and 2 others like this.
  19. mango

mango Member

One of my favourite watering hole quotes,
    One of the regular geniuses had an epiphany and proclaimed , "It's not that it's crowded in here,it's just that there are a lot of people in a small area !"

time2kill and A-Bone like this.
  20. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

Urine Alice's Restaurant

[This has shown up in other places]

evanjackson and PLX like this.