• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What's the hands down EVH in a box winner?

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Yes I have done many searches and yes I am familiar with some of the typical contenders; Crunchbox, Wampler Pinnacle, Catsmods Brownie.
I'm talking early VH tones (of course) and please spare me the "Eddie didn't use pedals for those tones and it's in his fingers" comments, not to be rude but I'm pretty sure just about everyone in the guitar universe is aware of this truth. With that said what have you all found too be the most inspiring of the various possibilities be it one from the above list or others that I may not be familiar with. Thanks in advance for tolerating yet another EVH brown sound obsession thread! :dude

cube

i have gotten pretty close with a lovepedal purpleplexi 800 and a phase 90

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Ah yes those two are definitely contenders. Thanks

Benlevy

+1 on the PP800

I had a Brown Creeper that I think was the same circuit as the Brownie. It sucked. Hope the Brownie is better...

xntrick

http://img229***************/loc512/th_94483_vanhalen_122_512lo.jpg

my sansamp gt2 gives a very nice brown sound with these settings...

Sikor

Yes I have done many searches and yes I am familiar with some of the typical contenders; Crunchbox, Wampler Pinnacle, Catsmods Brownie.
Can You say something about Pinnacle vs CB/Brownie?
I have both CB and Brownie, but recently Pinnacle cought my eye :)
How would You compare these 3 pedals?

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I should have been a bit more clear in my post. I am familiar with these pedals in the sense that I have read many posts on them as well as having checked out as many audio and video clips that I could find on them. I personally own a Crunchbox as well a Tonebone Hot British for my higher gain sounds. I'm also in situation where I haven't been able crank these pedals which makes it fairly hopeless to make any kind of realistic assesment of them. I like the Crunchbox and Hot British. I believe the Hot British is quite underrated and is capable of getting some very nice high gain Marshall sounds but it does require a lot of tweaking to find what you want. My initial take on the Crunchbox was that it was "pretty good" but it didn't blow me away considering all of the high praise for it that I have come across. I made a very slight adjustment to the internal trimmer that I feel has made an improvement.

Truth be told, I need a distortion pedal like a hole in the head but having been a teenager in the 80's I'm a sucker for the EVH tone that really propelled the concept of rock guitar at that time. I'm actually right there with you wondering if the Pinnacle is a considerable upgrade on the Crunchbox specifically for an EVH oriented sound. (marketing aside)
As we all know Ed's tone wasn't really an over the top super high gain sound and that is why I like to use it as a reference towards what I prefer. I like to hear note and chord definition with sustain and amp like presence. I've got a line 6 Uber Metal if I want a ridiculous over the top sound but I never use it and in fact if it could get quality less saturated over the top sounds I would use it because it's actually gets some reasonable sounds.

The Brownie and Pinnacle are interesting but I really have no idea if they are really "substantially" better than either the Crunchbox or Hot British. I had also forgot about the Lovepedal Purple Plexi which Cube mentioned.

Well how's that for a ridiculously long answer to your question without providing an ounce of helpful info. My apologies!

Are we missing any other gems out there people that nail EVH land?
Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

cisspcism

I heard the MXR dist + really kill your sound when bypassed which to me is a bumber cause I a really looking into one of these. The crunch box I tried and found it was too noisey and not enough gain. I actually lik my Boss DS 1 better. I have athread like this open called Marshall Plexi in a box and you are getting the same recomendations I am.

I am kinda leaning king of the brits or Zvex box of rock(only if vexter model, I dont want to pay an extra 100 bucks for a hand paint job)

wildschwein

I heard the MXR dist + really kill your sound when bypassed which to me is a bumber cause I a really looking into one of these
It can be modded to true bypass. Or you can put it in a looper:
Strip board layout for DIY - could be used to find out how to wire a 3PDT switch:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/m..._0/album17/album06/mxr_dist_plus_001.jpg.html
Actual layout for the 1978 model:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/m..._MXR_DISTORTION_VINTAGE+STYLE+LAYOUT.GIF.html
Another useful thing to do is to change out the 10k audio pot for a 100k audio as it increases the pedals output.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Brown Sound In A Box II aka BSIAB II (aka CMATMODS Brownie)

Clip the two .0022uF caps at the end (C13 & C14), replace the 470pF cap (C5) with a 560pF and use all 2N5457's and you'll be there. A lower output/vintage humbucker helps too. Works nicely with my Super Reverb RI.

EDIT:
If you listen to VH1 or VH2, Ed's sound isn't really about bass; the mids are somewhat flat and the highs are up. The BSIAB II isn't about bass either, but I don't find it weak in that regard; it's not a thin pedal at all. (if you want chunky bass for palm-mute riffing, build a Dr. Boogey).

Catoogie

I had a Brownie and it really didn't do it for me. It cut the bass and low-mids too much for my taste. I like a nice full-range tone and when I switched from clean tones or low-gain tones into the Brownie all of the low-end fell out.

I currently have the Box of Rock and it's perfect, low end is intact but not overbearing. FAT!!

Trending Topics