• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's the heaviest guitar you play with / keep / own?

chucke99

I have a couple solid-body Ibanez Artist electrics (late '70s builds) that I've always known are heavy, though the weight doesn't bother me. I just weighed one of them for the first time (a model 2619 from 1978) and it came in at 10 pounds on my bathroom scale. I have a 335-sized Artist semi-hollow that I know is a pound or two heavier than that.

The heaviest, by far, that I ever owned, but never played standing up with, was a double-neck Ibanez Artwood Twin. Again, I never weighed it, but it probably came in close to 20 pounds.

Last edited:

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
An '03 solid mahogany LP Historic '54 Custom at 9.75 lbs. with tone that'll make the angels cry. Thick neck and fully alive. It's one heavyweight that ain't ever leaving my collection!

chucke99

If it's sustain you're after, pick this one up. Solid brass Ibanez Artist (AR500 specs) weighing in at 70+ pounds:

Ibanez%2BBrass%2Bguitar.jpg

schwa

Like others, mine is a Les Paul Custom. It's gotta be around 10 pounds. I'd let it go, but it's such a great guitar otherwise.

I'd like to find a lighter one that was it's equal. But lightweight Les Paul Customs are kinda like Sasquach - a lot of people claimed to have seen one - but I have yet to.

Rusty G.

Like others, mine is a Les Paul Custom. It's gotta be around 10 pounds. I'd let it go, but it's such a great guitar otherwise.

I'd like to find a lighter one that was it's equal. But lightweight Les Paul Customs are kinda like Sasquach - a lot of people claimed to have seen one - but I have yet to.

I found one a couple months ago. . .'57 Reissue Les Paul Custom V.O.S. . . .weighed in at 8.5 pounds. . .Should've bought it.

I did purchase a Wildwood Featherweight '57 Standard Re-issue in ebony last month and it weighs 7.94 pounds and is not chambered, and is a joy to play.

My heaviest guitars are a '57 Re-issue in red and a Baker B1. . .they both weigh in at 9.5 pounds.

gibsonjunkie

I borrowed our postage scale from work and weighed them all...

Gibson J-40 4.2
Gibson Gary Moore L.P. 9.6
Gibson ES 335 8.6
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 9.4
Gibson Hummingbird 4.8
Gibson SJ-200 4.8
Fender American Telecaster (Natural Ash finish) 7.6
Custom FDP Jamcaster 7.6
Fender MIM Stratocaster 8.2
Custom ESP/Warmouth Hybrid 8
Aria M-100 Classical Guitar 3.2
Fender MIM Jazz Bass 9
Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway 7.2
Guild F-212XL STD 5.2
Guild D-55 with DTAR 5.2
Ovation Ovation Applause 4.6
Stol Stol Custom Traditional 10.4

This Paul has been played for thousands of hours since 1968, and by dozens of famed players.
Many were "Trying her out", as she has been available for sale for many years.
The 10.5 pound weight (and the realistic price) has killed their enthusiasm, despite the great tone and neck.
You would think pro guys who have a tech, and a dozen or more axes on the road, would be rational, but they seem to think that once they start picking they will not want to put Goldie down.
Here is a picture of Tommy playing her when she was just about new!
I think he played her a couple more times, (The first time was at his and Karen's 3rd floor apartment through a little tweed champ)
she weighs so much compared to the '60 Flag Burst, that he lost interest and never bought her. He got the brown Strat "Shoepolish" From me instead.

If my old memory is working today this must have been in early 1969. The gig was at The Glen Huntington Bandshell in Boulder's Central Park, in early Summer. Tommy has both of the Twin Reverbs Barry Fey loaned him, and on top of the one on the right is Dave Brown's Gray small box tube Echoplex. (The one with no compartment on one end, for the AC Cable inside the box.
trb.jpg

If anybody ever wants to get serious about Goldie, I am pretty much ready to sell off most of the gear I have owned all these decades.
She is no longer pretty, in fact as far as wear and tear, HAG might be a better description than Hottie. But if you are serious about being her second owner, and willing to examine and play her 2 miles from Red Rocks Ampitheater, contact me.
Chuck

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
In 1989, I was at a store that had over a dozen Black Les Paul Customs in stock. I spent a couple of hours in a sitting position playing all of the guitars. One was absolutely amazing, so I bought it. Later, at home, I installed strap-locks and a strap. I stood up playing this guitar for the next few hours. The next day I woke up with back issues. I finally weighed the Les Paul and determined that it weighed 10.8 lbs. Eventually, a super padded strap was located for it, but this guitar gets played mostly sitting down. It is an amazing guitar, but my current rule is 8.6 lbs. maximum on any new guitars.

Interestingly, I was at the Dallas Guitar Show a year or so later and saw a Les Paul that was custom ordered, for sale. The guitar was 28 lbs.!!!!!
The original buyer thought that weight meant sustain. I could barely lift this guitar out of the case! When I realized how much it weighed, I decided not play it. I don't know if he sold it or not.

Hope he sold it, I'm sure no one "lifted it".

teledude55

my '90 LP Std weighs 9 lbs, I had a black '94 that was 10lbs...wouldn't want to go any higher than 10..I'm not a young man anymore. haha

Jonny D

I have an Agile AL-3000 that is just over 10lbs. It is heavy, but it sounds heavy too. I usually use it for slide...while sitting down.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom