What's the ideal weight of Les Paul? Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FireBottle, Jul 12, 2008.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I've never paid much attention to this but I've become friends with a butcher and have used his digital meat scale for a couple of my guitars. The Les Paul Stnd. I've got listed now came in at 8 lbs. 10 oz. which surprised me - pretty light, as these guitars go, yes? Is there a generally accepted / favorable weight range for Les Pauls and Strats? My EJ Strat seems MUCH lighter than my SRV...those are next in line for the scale...

2. DonM

DonM Member

Strat - tele 7 or under - partsocasters require a bare body of 4 or under to come in at 7 or under once assembled

les paul 9 or below - preferring 8 or below - buts that 8- is a bit of a stretch!

3. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I like em light due to my back problems. Strat as said above 7 and under. For the LP I picked one of the chambered R8's and she is 7.2lbs. Perfect for me.

4. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

Thanks for the comments - love this forum.

Maybe a dumb question but - other than comfort - is the main advantage to lighter bodies mostly about ehancing the resonant charactaristics? At what point does this affect over all sustain?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

No such thing as an ideal weight. Some guitars just have "it" and some don't.

IMO of sourse :D

6. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

PRS Spruce top hollowbody.. 5 lbs! seems to "float" after playing all the others. I agree that strats and tele's should be under 8.. closer to 7# is better (my nocaster is in that range) My masterbuilt is an ash body that is closer to 8.

Les Pauls.. took forever but finally found an R7 that weighs 8.1.. (no chambers.. nada.. just lighter wood that sings). Anything heavier than that is "a lot" in my opinion. 10 lbs to me is ridiculous, I don't care what it sounds like!

7. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

For LP's the 9-10 pound range is ideal, those LPs have those singing, sweet registers without being too heavy. I have played a Norlin that probably weighed in 12-13lb range, but I'll be damned if that wasn't an awesome LP.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I don't think there is an ideal weight really. I mean we should buy instruments based on how they sound.

9. KBR

KBR Member

I have a wicked tone, and my guitars weigh Tele w/ Lollar HBers 6 lbs 3 oz.
    Mustard Hard tail Strat, 2 Lollar P90's 6lbs even
    Burgundy Mutt Caster with Titanium trem block 6lbs 7 oz.
    Don Mare Equipped Pinecaster 6lbs 4 oz.

so any T or S axe under 6 1/2 lbs. that's 6.8 lbs (they, POuNDS ,are divided into 16 oz.)

a LP, 8-8 1/2 LBS, but I had a home brew Korina that was strong and Albert King like at 7lbs 1 oz.

http://www.myspace.com/kennyblueray

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I generally don't take weight into account unless it overly light or heavy.
    I see how a guitar sounds and then out of curiosity find the weight.

Almost all of the best I have had have fallen in the medium weight area.
    Strats- mid 7's
    Teles- low to mid 7's
    LP's- 8.6-9.5

I have played lighter and heavier that have been nice but the cream of the crop so to say have been right in the weights I have isted in my experience.

I'm one that believes density and a well matched neck and body make the biggest difference.

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

This has been almost my exact experience as well.

12. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

My Jaguar weighed 8lbs10oz so I'd say thats a good Les Paul weight if not a heavy Jag. I like under 8, over 7 for Teles;7.5 is about perfect for me.

It has nothing to do with anything except gravity.

13. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I agree with the medium weight opinion. I have two Historics and A/Bd a ton before buying them. I didn't pay attention to weight, just sound. I found that my tastes for Les Pauls hovered a bit above or below 9 lbs. One thing that I've been finding lately is that a really resonant unplugged sound doesn't always translate plugged in. I think the guitars that move you emphasize certain frequencies that you can't generalize with a weight category. I look for a guitar that responds to my ears to my pick attack to give me vowel sounds when I play lead.

14. bluesjuke

As long as the tone you're looking for is there the rest is that "just right" feeling.

15. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

yeah I had to put that disclaimer in there because people tend to get all upset if you even mention weights and guitars...I used to not care about weight until I got a light guitar and I was like, "Oh so they don't have to be heavy?"

16. bluesjuke

And on the flip side heavy enough to know that it's there.

17. KBR

KBR Member

I have been playing Pro around 40 years, so I learned along time ago, get the big Frets,
    and get a light Guitar, I weigh 258, so It ain't like I can't handle a 10lb axe, but Why?
    I have 2 herniated discs, and like a 6 lber.
    Get a Big Warmoth Boatneck, Soft V kinda like the 10/56 Tele sized (nocaster sized,) they really help the axe get Mojo.

18. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I go by both. For Les Pauls, I like them 9lbs or less. Then they have to feel right, sound fantastic and look good. There are so many of them out there, I don't see why the one you buy shouldn't have all the best qualities.

19. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While there are exceptions to every rule, for some reason the better sounding Strats I've played tended to be right around 7.5 lbs.. To my ears, heavier one's tended to sound ice picky and lighter one's tended to sound unfocused but, like I said there are exceptions. So, when it comes right down to it, each individual guitar should be judged on its own merits...and I let my ears & hands make the final decision, not some electro-mechanical device that has neither.

However, I have yet to hear a Les Paul that sounds good to me, heavy or light. Just not my cup of tone ;).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  20. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I just weighed my new partscaster at the post office...7.4 lbs.
    I don't think that's so bad since it has the callaham block and bridge on it.
    The bare body weighed 3.10.