What's the latest "best" floor modeler?

EataPeach

ive been reading about the Digitech RP 500 etc... But that's more than I need..

The Zoom G5 reads well too.

It'll mostly be for practice,and very small jams. I'll probably just go into the PA, or an acoustic amp set flat.

Thanks

burningyen

If the RP500 is more than you need, you should try the Zoom units, the "lesser" Digitech units (I liked the RP355 better than the RP500), and maybe the Fly Rig. Take your main guitar and headphones to your local store and try out every unit you can get your hands on.

BoB/335

I guess it depends on what is viewed as "latest" and "best". I have spent the last month researching this same question. Started out looking at the Boss ME80, then the Boss GT100. Several guitarist I know was steering me to the RP500 and most forum folks recommended the RP1000 over the 500.

That was all until I came to this forum where several members informed me (rightfully so) that this technology is a decade old. What do I know? I've never had a multi-effects unit and was never interested as I never heard a unit cut through a live mix that I liked. (But I also don't get out as much anymore.

Anyway, I was being persuaded to check into something called an AmpliFire by a company Atomic. Gee wiz! It's a bit more than I wanted to go but........ The demos sound great.

I case I still have your interest, be sure to check with Sweetwater.com RIGHT AWAY as they have a great payment option till the end of March on the Digitech!!! And a ton of other gear!

EataPeach

You're probably in the wrong forum, my friend. :D

Kidding aside, the lower budget modelers are all roughly the same. I have a buddy that played an ME80 into a solid state Crate head and 412. Sounded great.
Ya,I was scared to ask!! Lol

I've sold most all of my electric gear so now just want a simple,but nice, set up to mess with.
I don't gig,but want the floor unit so I can have a 'pedal board'

rsm

I dig my Boss GT-100, GT-001 and GP-10. I also dig my Line 6 AMPLIFi FX100 and may pickup an AMPLIFi 150. I had a Zoom G3, G5 (and many older Zooms), Vox ToneLabs, AxeFX Ultra,...

If you want the "best" floor modelers, you're looking at Helix or AX8. At the mid level: $300 - $500 or so, they are about the same, with different strengths and weaknesses; the best one for you is based on what you need, what you play, how you play and your budget. We all have our "best" / favorites.

FWIW, I dig my Boss kit, but I'm finding it much faster, easier to dial in tones on my FX100. Instant gratification. Does not sound as good as my Boss perhaps, but it's very good.

ivanh3

I would look for a Pod HD 500, without the "X". Essentially the same tones as the Pod HD 500X, but you can find them used for a fair amount. They sound great and are flexible. Right now there are some on eBay in the upper two hundreds. I had an RP360, and it didn't sound very good to me, but it was cheap.

EataPeach

The "best" is the one that satisfies your needs at the price point you are willing to pay. That should be easy...right?;)
I understand that and pretty much go by that logic...

I have been out of the MFX game for yrs and just wondered what brand is most up to date with technology etc.
My needs are simple.....So far the Boss ME 80 is getting my attention because of the ease of use....not a bunch of menus to navigate throug etc...
Though I've read a lot of good about that Zoom G5n.
What I like about them is the pedal board set up...
I may look into the Digitechs again too

Mandrax

What is your budget? At the lower end of the spectrum I really liked my Zoom G5. Decent tones, decent price, easy to use. I only sold it to help fund the Amplifire, I would have kept it otherwise.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
If you've been out of the mfx game for years and mostly will jam through PA or flat acoustic amp my advice is start with the lower priced units, ie., Zoom G3/G5 or Digitech RP 360. They have different bells and whistles but are essentially the same.

And, since you like the ME-80, consider that. But imo the Boss can't compete on basic "raw" amp tones for low to mid gain stuff. yymv.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Hey, OP... I know it's not fashionable to like it, but the ME-80 is, in fact, likely perfect for you. And you should be able to find a store where you can try it to be sure.

Zoom G3 or G5 would be great, too.

EataPeach

If you've been out of the mfx game for years and mostly will jam through PA or flat acoustic amp my advice is start with the lower priced units, ie., Zoom G3/G5 or Digitech RP 360. They have different bells and whistles but are essentially the same.

And, since you like the ME-80, consider that. But imo the Boss can't compete on basic "raw" amp tones for low to mid gain stuff. yymv.
Hey, OP... I know it's not fashionable to like it, but the ME-80 is, in fact, likely perfect for you. And you should be able to find a store where you can try it to be sure.

Zoom G3 or G5 would be great, too.
I've been reading on the ME80. So many have said the preamps on ODs suck. I'll try it, but I'm eyeballing the Zoom and Digitech now.
Going to GC to research.

BoB/335

I've been reading on the ME80. So many have said the preamps on ODs suck. I'll try it, but I'm eyeballing the Zoom and Digitech now.
Going to GC to research.
I went to GC and they had NOTHING set up to demo!!! Not even the boss pedal display they used to have set up. All of this big floor boards were hanging on the wall in their boxes 12' up! Walked out disappointed. I asked what's up and their answer was their 45 day trial period.

2 days left for the Sweetwater extended payment plan offer and the Boss $100 rebate offer on the GT 100. ( check out the double display feature on that. Makes it look as easy to use as the ME 80)

Trending Topics