what’s the LEAST versatile guitar?

Six_string_belief

Platinum Supporting Member
So, I’ve seen the question posed, what is the most versatile guitar? But I started thinking, what is the least versatile guitar? I mean that guitar that really only does one thing well. My vote is for the Kramer Beretta special pictured here. Other than some type of high gain 80’s rock, I can’t imagine this guitar being used for anything else. So let’s hear your submission for least versatile guitar and include a picture if you’re so inclined!!

*disclaimer - This post is all in good fun so please no one get angry, just keep it enjoyable!

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Add a Floyd to it and I would agree.

I play too many types of music to be interested in a bridge only pickup guitar.

However, there are plenty who are only playing rock/metal and never use a neck pickup, so I can see it. Probably the TGP litmus test is EVH only used a bridge pickup.

PRW

On one of the Smiths records, Johnny Marr actually jangled on a '60 LP Standard.

And I remember a quote from Keith Richards from some years back: "It doesn't matter if you give me a Gretsch Country Gentleman or a Japanese Strat copy, in 10 minutes I'll make it sound like me."

jackson

what do you mean by 'versatile'? some are thinking that it means a guitar can sound like other guitars (the Strat comments). I'm thinking that 'versatile' means that the guitar can be used to make a lot of good, usable sounds. In that case, a strat is the most versatile guitar.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
So instead of overall, since we all know that it's the player not the guitar...

For ME, it's the telecaster.
There is not a sound I want to hear that comes out of that guitar (not only when I play it, but for anyone else playing one either).

71strat

Telecaster with only a neck pickup, and a .1uf cap. Add in the bridge pup though, and all bets are off.

Yer Blues

For me it would be a guitar without a tone and volume knobs. I've never owned a superstrat and the 80s were before I started playing... I've always wondered how so many guys played guitars without tone knobs. That being said, there's a ton of cool songs out there played on guitars without tone knobs and some of my favorites were recorded on guitars without tone knobs.

ned7flat5

I’d generally subscribe to the view that versatility rests within the player ... until it occurred to me that I’d rarely seen anyone playing a Rickenbacker live outside of its limited relevance to Beatles or CCR tribute acts.

Even the only guy I know who owns one never plays it or takes it anywhere.

Never at a blooze or jazz jam - even Gretsch makes the odd appearance.

(Edit: just remembered I saw the Smithereens in ‘90 or thereabouts playing Rickys through walls of Marshall.)

Last edited:

PRW

I’d generally subscribe to the view that versatility rests within the player ... until it occurred to me that I’d rarely seen anyone playing a Rickenbacker live outside of its limited relevance to Beatles or CCR tribute acts.

Even the only guy I know who owns one never plays it or takes it anywhere.

Never at a blooze or jazz jam - even Gretsch makes the odd appearance.

(Edit: just remembered I saw the Smithereens in ‘90 or thereabouts playing Rickys through walls of Marshall.)
Peter Buck says "Hey" ...

Trending Topics