what’s the LEAST versatile guitar?

Nyarlathotep

A real Kramer Baretta, not the Special as in the OP. However, it is also one of the most perfect musical instruments in history, and that offsets the lack of versatility.

Corvid

Definitely a single pickup guitar, with a non-splitable humbucker. Without tone or volume controls?

So, which *position* for our hypothetical single humbucker guitar would be the least versatile? Neck or bridge? (Or, I suppose, middle, but I've never seen a single pickup guitar with the pickup in the middle position.) I vote neck as less versitile because, to me, it has a more distinctive sound between the two, thus making it less versitile based on the presumption that a more neutral tone can be more easily sculpted to make different sounds. I suspect, however, a lot of people on TGP would vote the bridge pickup as being less versitile.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
wuts wrong with a one pickup guitar? thats why they have volume and tone knobs

Wyatt Martin

For me it would be a guitar without a tone and volume knobs. I've never owned a superstrat and the 80s were before I started playing... I've always wondered how so many guys played guitars without tone knobs. That being said, there's a ton of cool songs out there played on guitars without tone knobs and some of my favorites were recorded on guitars without tone knobs.
Having grown up playing "super strats" in the 80s I never minded not having the tone control, volume yes, tone no.

Of course I play a more conventional strat now but even still I have rarely ever used a tone control on any of my guitars I guess because of that.

Now to the original question.... I too find a Tele lacking versatility. I played teles for 15 years and when I joined a cover band I just didn't feel like it convincingly covered all the bases for my needs.

ned7flat5

Along with the British and British wannabe acts already mentioned, you could toss in The Jam ...but it reinforces the limited appeal of Rickenbacker to that type of rock/pop music. Until Johnny Hiland is up for another endorsement deal, I can't see it having any prospects for infiltrating the country market, a genre which you would think would definitely have room for Rickenbacker sounds, but for the ubiquity of that pesky Fender Telecaster plank.

shane8

disclaimer = all my electric guitars have 1 pu + 1 vol

the range of toanz available thru technique, eq & fx would I dare say confuse a lot of ya

twotone

I’d generally subscribe to the view that versatility rests within the player ... until it occurred to me that I’d rarely seen anyone playing a Rickenbacker live outside of its limited relevance to Beatles or CCR tribute acts.
I remember a gig where the band was about to play ZZ Top's 'LaGrange' and my Les Paul went badly out of tune. I grabbed the other guitarist's Rickenbacker 330 and played it instead, and it worked just as good for the squawking solo at the end.

AndyMander82

Bc Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth. Only 1 X2N pick up and made to play metal. Other than something like that I think any guitar with 2 pick ups can be made as versatile as needed.

Trending Topics