What's the max you roll back volume when using pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slopeshoulder, Feb 21, 2009.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I've found that with low or medium gain OD, I can back off volume a little and the clean sound I get is great.
    But with higher gain or stacked pedals, I have to roll back the guitar volume much more to clean up, and when I do, it's a little bad sounding (unnatural mids, woofy). So, although it might be ideal, I can't have one pedal set to high gain and then ride the volume all night; it's really only good down to 5 (on all my guitars). For this reason, I tend to ADD gain with more or higher gain pedals, rather than SUBTRACT from one pedal using my volume pot hwne using anything beyond medium gain.

How far down do you turn the volume knob generally, and how far before your tone starts to be not so good? What's your approach?

2. Bobster

Bobster Supporting Member

hmm i think this is different from each guitar's pickups and setups.. And how much one should back off the volume knob depends on one's preference.

Personally, i back off quite abit on my fuzz pedals to use them as ods in some cases.

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

it depends on if I'm using brass/metal picks, plastic or fingers and if I'm compressed or not.
    Generally the maximum is when it's on zero though!

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I cut back about 20-30% most times.

5. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Whether using a guitar straight into an amp, guitar to pedals to amp, or using a Big Rack rig with pedals and processors, the max I roll back my volume knob is to the OFF (Zero) position.

6. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Have you tried the resistor/cap mod to keep your volume controls nice and sparkly even when rolled back. A small treble bleed cap and a resistor across the lugs help to keep the presence in the volume control as you roll it back.

http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/articles/volumepot2.shtml

Scott

7. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

this is exactly what I was thinking. Sounds like it could be the guitar itelf as much as anything.

8. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I think the small amount of high loss can work into the equation very nice. I wouldnt want to get rid of that.. I like the extra zip on the full-on stuff and the smoother or less spiky tone of the rolled back.. like for rythym or what have you. ymmv

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Yup. Works great except under high gain with pot below 5.