What's the most durable/reliable guitar cable from your experience?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sgv300, Apr 2, 2008.

1. sgv300

sgv300 Member

From your experience, what's the most durable/reliable guitar cable made?

I'm not concerned so much with sound quality as I play in bars & clubs and go through 8 pedals.

The problem I'm having with cables is that I loop the cable through the guitar strap so that when someone steps on the cable it doesn't come unplugged from the guitar. Eventually the cable develops a short about six inches from the plug, right about where the it bends at the strap.

I've been looking at the Pro Co Lifelines, they seem pretty durable. Their description says "When it absolutely, positively has to work and nothing can be left to chance".

Any experience with theses, other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Chad

2. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I've been using a cable that is magnetically attached to the jack. The jack plugs into my guitar and the other into the first pedal on my board. The cable goes between them and attaches quietly and securely but will pull off if your cable gets stepped on. It works great and is better than replacing jacks in guitars, pedals as well as replacing the cable.

It's called a Jodavi ZZYZX Snap Jack.

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I've had a whirlwind cable for about 12 years of constant use. Finally last year I had to redo one of the ends.

evanjackson likes this.
  4. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

Funny, before I even opened up this thread I thought back to my cloth covered whirlwind that finally went out this year after 12 or 13 years. That's been my longest.

5. sgv300

sgv300 Member

Excellent info, thanks ya'll! Their website (http://www.whirlwindusa.com/inst01.html) has testimonials saying people have been using the same Whirlwind cable since the 70's! Now to track down where to get Whirlwind cables. Does anyone know of an online merchant that sells Whirlwind guitar cables?

6. seajay

seajay Member

I have a ProCo Lifelines cable that I have been using for around 11 years that just won't die.

7. sgv300

sgv300 Member

I'm going to order one Whirlwind Leader Elite and one ProCo Lifelines. I'll reply back in 11 years as to which one is still going! :)

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

always carry extra cables but my choice for the most reliable is one with a lifetime warrenty! Several brands have them. You only have to buy them once!

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

my most reliable and durable 'till now have been my Evidence and Van Den Hul's. My bandmate is the new authorized distributor for vo vox in canada, so he's gonna bring me some on sat. to band practice to test out.

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

This month's issue of Guitar Player has a big cable shootout.

11. ford

ford Supporting Member

Dimarzio cables work great for me.. sound great, and the one I'm using is going on about 9 or 10 years.

rock

bford

12. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Horizon vintage II are very good.

DS

13. mike80

mike80 Member

I've used the same Planet Waves cable for about 4 years now, constantly being stepped on, dragged around, beed spilt on it, etc, and it hasn't given me the slightest bit of grief. I also run my cable through the strap, and it's held up fine. They sound pretty good too.

FWIW, I also use a right angle plug for going into my guitar, that way it kinda fits right against the body while it goes through the strap.

EDIT: That may not work well if you have an angled Strat-type input on your guitar.

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

Canare/Switchcraft "roll your own."

10 years plus, still sound/work great.

Loudboy

15. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I hear great things about Lava cable, at least sonically. Those Van Den Hul cables that David Gilmore used for his "Island" tour, don't they cost as much as a used car?