What's the most expensive guitar brand that you know of?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hippieboy, Jun 28, 2020 at 6:04 PM.

1. Agramal

Agramal Supporting Member

Older Zemaitis guitars spring to mind. There's a few on Reverb right now for $29,000.

Languedoc too...I remember seeing one on Reverb for $15,000.

Tommy Biggs, 76_Futura and hippieboy like this.
  2. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

If you weren’t afraid before, you should watch this...

As for the original question, most expensive guitars are probably Classical, followed by Archtops, then by Selmer style guitars, then by flattop acoustics. Solidbody electrics, even when they are expensive, tend to be relatively cheap.

ZENTISH, p6x, stephax and 2 others like this.
  3. bibir

bibir Member

Mmmmm is there any guitar match the expensiveness of a Gibson 59 LP?

C-4 likes this.
  4. Agramal

Agramal Supporting Member

Man, those Ken Parker archtops are stunning, I had no idea. Incredible guitars.

spencer096 and hippieboy like this.
  5. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

6. tea312

tea312 Member

The neck has so much wild grain and so many bark incursion/inclusions- I can’t believe they fabricated a neck with that erratic grain orientation plus that much natural defects. Anyone who has worked with wood knows that incursions/inclusions/bark takes on humidity differently compare to the sapwood and the heartwood section and much more susceptible to dimensional stability. Three zeroes need to be dropped from the $$,$$$

StockRock and McShred like this.
  7. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

If you ever get it.... there’s a thread about D’Pergo keeping a customer hanging for years with a non-stop list of excuses on why they can’t deliver

8. flatdream

flatdream Member

Jerry Auerswald ?
    He made the symbol guitar for Prince and the bow guitars and bass in the 80s

hippieboy likes this.
  9. Skullkrusher

Skullkrusher Member

Both Ibanez' and Jackson's range from $100 to over $3000. Naming Jackson alongside Epiphone and Squier is just wrong.

10. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    Buddha, 73171 and hippieboy like this.
  11. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

I was involved in that thread. Just because I namec D’Pergo does not mean I am a fan.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. spencer096

spencer096 Member

Had NO IDEA either! Was completely blown away. Absolutely outstanding.

hippieboy likes this.
  13. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

I wasn’t implying anything about you or your comment. When I saw the name D’Pergo I was commenting on it alone.

CaptNasty likes this.
  14. p6x

p6x Member

And when you look at his price range, yes it is expensive, but he stocks his own wood, like the majors. And when you compare the nowadays "custom shop" and other "Master Builders", you find that he is competitive.

I had the privilege to visit his shop; there are no pin router there. All is done by hand with traditional cabinetry tools. He really works the way Italian Luthiers' did.

He is not simply operating tools, nor does he starts from pre-made blanks.

He made violins, and look at his Archtop guitars. They are his own creation.

15. p6x

p6x Member

Very true!

CR Guitars is the site where I have so far, seen the most expensive guitars for sale... ever!

hippieboy likes this.
  16. p6x

p6x Member

We are talking about new guitars....

hippieboy likes this.
  17. bigmac53

bigmac53 Supporting Member

the first builder that comes to mind aside from the super high end archtop guys is Pensa - his guitars on average are well in excess of $5k; there are 20 on Reverb right now ranging from just under $10k to just about $3.5k (and those are used prices - check his website); and he doesn't have a "budget" line like an Epiphone or a Squier

hippieboy likes this.
  18. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

For things that I can order from a store that I've bought things from it would be Ritter which retail around 20,000CDN for an electric and then Martin where I could get a limited edition 10D200 for around $168000CDN. Both way past what I would ever spend on a guitar.

hippieboy likes this.
  19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

How in the heck could a brand new guitar go for $168k?

I knew they weren't the most expensive, but what I'm "aware of" would be Ken Parker archtops. About $35k. And personally, they're the only guitar's I would consider spending that much on - even if I was rolling in the cash. They are a unique design and beautiful. I'd love to have Green Beam...

20. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Once you reach a certain level, it becomes more then just the price. You have to love the particular guitar of interest.

Gibson offers their Citation for 33K, and over-priced or not, it is a magnificent example of an arch top jazz guitar. If you prefer a Monteleone or some other builder, it is a matter of preference, regardless of whether your reasoning is that Gibson is over-priced, or whether you just prefer the other guitar.

Still, even with the Martin custom guitars running 200K+, they don't make a lot of those ongoing. The '59 Les Paul is where the really high priced guitars proliferate, and I'm sure there are other private builders capable of building a guitar up in that end of the stratosphere as well.

If I were playing jazz today, I would be perfectly happy with a Citation, and if I couldn't afford one of those, an L-5 would be fine for me, but then I don't do solo work, so the guitar's voice having to carry, if it wasn't electrified, wouldn't be something I would be as concerned with. ymmv :)

Tommy Biggs and hippieboy like this.