Whats the most important thing you know or have learned about playing in a band?

highway-one

I recently got back into my giging trio band and think this could be a usefull friendly thread for all kinds of musicians, I geuss my idea is, not thinking when im playing and trying just to feel the music is a verry important part of playing music professionally.

guitarua

LISTEN, LISTEN and LISTEN! You must listen to the players around you and hear where you fit in. Becoming one musical unit, with one intention will make everything vibe. Selflessness is not a common trait among musicians, but it is a quality found in the greatest ones.

Jon

That musicians in the band who were poor-to-average when you joined the band will not suddenly become inspired by your example and improve dramatically. Gigging with guys who aren't very good serves only one purpose - to make you realise how lucky you are when you get in a band with guys who ARE good.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
That most of the people who are there came to hear singing, not guitar playing... adjust volume accordingly.

Jay Mitchell

1. The players who want to rehearse the most are usually the ones who most need to practice. They are also the ones who don't comprehend the difference.

2. A band is what it is. You can't play hipper than the other guys are playing. If you try, you'll just make yourself look silly.

3. Entertaining an audience with music is all about sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made. :rotflmao

hot lava mike

1. Agree with the above poster about listening.

2. Also- learning the difference between just playing your instrument and performing.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with all of the above.

Knowing when to play and when to not play is as important as what you actually play.

funkycam

dynamics.
timing.
knowing your place.
understanding that the singer is more important than anyone else.
good energy.
being flexible & easy to work with, yet genuine. ie picking your battles & learning when to shut up.

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
Personality and work ethic is WAY more important than talent, skill, chops etc.

When there's only one slice of pizza left, or you really don't want to sleep in the van another night, or you know somebody's wrong or when you pull the short straw and have to sleep on the floor of the hotel room or when your driver is being mind-numbingly indecisive after two weeks on the road; ask yourself "Will I care about this in two days?" If the answer is no, just let it go.

Jamie

dewey decibel

When there's only one slice of pizza left, or you really don't want to sleep in the van another night, or you know somebody's wrong or when you pull the short straw and have to sleep on the floor of the hotel room or when your driver is being mind-numbingly indecisive after two weeks on the road; ask yourself "Will I care about this in two days?" If the answer is no, just let it go.

Jamie

+1. Being in a band is like being married to 4 or 5 guys the the same time.

Pick your battles.

Don't worry about little mistakes while playing, nobody but you will notice or care. Just chill out and enjoy yourself. If you hit a wrong note don't make a face or body gesture letting everyone else know.

No matter how cool you sound playing with the CD, playing live in a band is something else and a real test your musical skills, you can't fake it in a band.

Above all else, treat everyone the way you want to be treated.

gigs

There is always someone who can play it better than you... and he's probably in the crowd tonight.

SRVYJM

There is always someone who can play it better than you... and he's probably in the crowd tonight.
AND he'll probably come up and tell you he can play it better than you, and he's probably right! But you're up there, and he isn't so remember that when he's mouthin' off!

But more importantly is LISTEN and WATCH! The singer is the leader, like it or not. If you don't like it, you better be the singer! You have to LISTEN and you have to watch the leader for queues, like when the song is ending, and when your solo is over. Can't tell you how many times I've watched guys solo for 12 bars beyond when the singer signaled for them to stop.

Trending Topics