• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's the most transparent boost pedal you know of, under $150-Also a tech question

bbutler123

And I don't mean to be a bummer or closed-minded, but I'm more interested in pedals from brands that we've all heard of. :)

And one more very simple question for those of you who know- How does a boost work? Does it just simply overdrive the input on the amp? In other words, a boost pedal is just the same as buying higher output pickups?

Thanks guys. :)

IM4Tone

In order, of the ones I own I find most transparent:
1) MXR m-133 micro amp...purely increased signal level
2) JOYO Sweet Baby...slight coloration (in a very good way) and increased signal level

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not 100% clear on where a boost pedal becomes a drive, or distortion pedal and I haven't sampled tons of them so take this with a grain of salt. My favorite low gain pedal is the discontinued Barber LTD - the larger black one. Every time I use that with a black face amp it just shines. At lower settings it changes the base tone just slightly but adds a little touch sensitivity. Makes a clean and slightly sterile Fender amp set at 2-3 on the volume sound like 4-5 in terms of "feel". Setting the pedal to noon to 2 makes the amp feel and sound more like it's cranked up in to the 6-7 sweet spot with very little coloration. YMMV and all that but it's my favorite pedal to spice up a Fender blackface type amp.

cyguitar

I have been using the EHX Soul Food. I keep the gain low, and it is pretty transparent. It's supposed to be a Klon clone. I actually A/B'd it with a KTR, and it was pretty damn close, especially with the buffer on. The best $60.00 dollars I've spent on a pedal.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Most Transparent?
Xotic RC Booster - with the Vol all the way up & Gain all the way down.
Haven't heard anything more transparent than this.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
The Vertex (I know) boost on my board is very transparent and doesn't add that shrill high end most boosts add.

jordane93

The most transparent that I've heard, in no particular order are Lizard Leg Flying Dragon Boost, MXR Micro Amp, and CAE Boost/Line Driver

guiltless

To answer your question... A boost becomes an overdrive when clipping takes place in the circuit of the pedal itself. A boost does just that, it provides an increase in output but should not add any clipping of its own. Depending on your amp, it may or may not overdrive the amp in any of its gain stages or power section.

Swapping to hotter pickups will change the EQ of your guitar's output and will likely not give you anywhere near the increased output that a boost pedal can.

Use a boost if you want more of what you already have... Assuming your boost is perfectly transparent. In actuality, most every boost will add a little something to the tone.

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
I recently seen new Providence Clean Boosters going for $149.99 on ebay. That or used Katana. Providence might add a hair of sparkle in a good way and Katana a little warmth, but these are the winners IMO.

radiospace

A little out of left field, but: I'm using my Xotic SP compressor with the blend set to 100% uncompressed as a clean boost right now (just because I have it sitting around). It seems very transparent into my tweed-style amp. Less than 150 bucks and you get a nice compressor thrown in to boot.

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
CAE boost/line driver. Or a Timmy.

The MXR Micro-amp has been mentioned, but it is definitively NOT transparent.

silver surfer

The Xotic RC Booster to me is almost transparent, but adds just a slight amount of mid. I use it with three different blackface Fender amps and it is always on. It retains the Fender tone but that slight mid gives it just a little warmer, fuller sound. At a lower volume on the amps, I add a little gain - still a clean tone, just better. Basically, it is a transparent boost, though. majorminor did a great job describing the same way I use the RC boost with the Fenders.

evo2slo

Earthquaker Tone Job has a very transparent boost when turning up the level knob with the EQs set flat.

The soul food sounds good as a boost but it's not transparent in the sense that it's got a bit of an eq going on, for a lot of people that's a great eq though.

For transparent boost the micro amp is great but for me I would use the way huge red llama with the gain all the way down, super transparent, but with the option to add gain if you feel like it. Check out the instructional video of it by Dunlop.

http://youtu.be/QlYIDomYN1A

Trending Topics

Top Bottom