What's the most versatile speaker for a 112 cab?

Pseudohobbit

I'd like to eventually get a 112 cab but use several low-wattage heads through it. I've found I like closed-back cabs more than open. What I'll probably do is get an Avatar or Whitebox 112 close-back cab. My thing is I want a really versatile speaker. It doesn't have to do any one thing great, though what I play most is blues, classic rock, and lots of fusion and prog rock. None of the heads I'd use would be over 30 watts. Hopefully this is enough information. So, what would be a really versatile speaker to use?

kodou

I did a lot of research and comparisons when looking for a 1x12 speaker that could cover a lot of ground. I ended up settling on the WGS ET90 and can confirm that I believe I made the right choice. It really makes the 1x12 cab sound so much bigger than the previous speaker did (G12H30). Really controlled bottom end with the right amount of highs to give my cleans a bit of top end sparkle.

DaveKS

No contest Tone Tubby 40/40. It'll do sultry fender clean to Vox chime to iron maiden, boston, Nu-metal and never flinch.

Get the avatar with convertible oval back. Best of both worlds.

Explorer

I like ceramic weber blue dogs. vox speaker types play nice with 30w amps, and they offer them in a range of power handling and speaker doping options.

bcmatt

I've found the Celestion Creamback to be the most versatile speaker I've ever tried. Not dark, but never harsh and quite musical. Avatar also has the best prices on them... probably be even better when included in a cab from them.

WGS ET-65 is a second-place holder for me. I would consider it dark compared to most speakers, and is my go-to speaker for taming amps that tend to get harsh.

pete kanaras

I'd like to eventually get a 112 cab but use several low-wattage heads through it. I've found I like closed-back cabs more than open. What I'll probably do is get an Avatar or Whitebox 112 close-back cab. My thing is I want a really versatile speaker. It doesn't have to do any one thing great, though what I play most is blues, classic rock, and lots of fusion and prog rock. None of the heads I'd use would be over 30 watts. Hopefully this is enough information. So, what would be a really versatile speaker to use?
a Celestion Classic Lead 80 should fit that bill quite nicely

sharpshooter

The Avatar is a reasonable size match for a 1-12. Should you get one, spend the extra 15$, and get both back panels.
A real bright speaker, (extended treble range), will benifit from a closed back, with perhaps a bit of padding. A darker speaker, that rolls-off the high-end early might sound better, with the open back.
Having both backs, you can mix/match to fit your ears.

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
ASW KTS70....it's based on the G12H30 but can handle 80 watts. Great all around sounding speaker. I have one loaded into a JD Newell Pine convertable back cab.... I like it best closed back.

Pseudohobbit

Thanks for all the replies! I'll check into all these suggestions and go from there. This definitely gives me a strong starting point for sure.

Multicellular

I did a lot of research and comparisons when looking for a 1x12 speaker that could cover a lot of ground. I ended up settling on the WGS ET90 and can confirm that I believe I made the right choice. It really makes the 1x12 cab sound so much bigger than the previous speaker did (G12H30). Really controlled bottom end with the right amount of highs to give my cleans a bit of top end sparkle.
Good one. +1

Trending Topics