What's the must have volume pedal....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

these days peeps?

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Supporting Member

Find the most expensive one. Have it modded with an expensive buffer from a booteek builder that uses the mojo in his mom's basement. Wait a year. Its that one.

p.mo, DonaldDemon, xcc and 1 other person like this.
  4. thesooze

thesooze Member

Most boards still use the Ernie Ball. Junior seems popular.
    I like the looks of the Tapestry Audio ones.
    Interested in the JHS Seesaw, whenever that gets released.

5. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Dunno. Don't care. I've heard the mini Dunlop is just fine and my Ernie Ball is going strong but way too big.
    It's a fxckin VP. You won't hear a difference unless you're a snob of the highest order.

Abram4235, Pao and CaptainLou426 like this.
  6. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

I like my boss FV-500 (though I use it as an exp at the moment). Good sweep, feels great, could be used as an offensive weapon if I get burgled.

blackba, tremolo3 and MoonshineMan like this.
  7. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

If someone got skulled with an old Ernie Ball VP, there'd be nothing left for forensic scientists. Hopefully he carried a wallet. It's basically a wiggly brick made out of aluminum. :)

Cgkindler, Caprica, xcc and 1 other person like this.
  8. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Dunlop mini is great.

xcc and MoonshineMan like this.
  9. jjasleby

jjasleby Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lehle. Pricey, but every bit as good as EB in terms of travel and volume taper with none of the pot-based drawbacks. Worth every penny.

Spec, DrGonzo and Caprica like this.
  10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Gahhhh. I need one for sessions. I've needed one for a couple of years now and can't seem to make myself go spend the money. I would probably go get a BOSS, honestly. Something low maintenance for sure. A bandmate had a BOSS and I like the taper & sweep for swells.

I have a Goodrich 120 that I bought new. In retrospect, since my primary use is with steel for recording, I should've gotten the L-120 model with the lower profile, for ease of use when sitting.

Doesn't really matter, I used the Goodrich 120 at a couple of gigs and at a few sessions - very low hours - and the pot started getting scratchy on me. It's a sealed pot if I remember correctly, but I hit it with Caig DeoxIT, which cleaned it up enough to get through a session, but it was a short-lived fix and the noise came back. There is not a direct replacement for the pot. Supposedly, the Dunlop Hot Potz is the best replacement for a 120, but there are dissenting opinions as to how good a replacement it actually is. Supposedly the sweep is different. No experience. I never was convinced enough through my research to actually get one and install it. Maybe I should, but for now my Goodrich 120 is an attractive paperweight which saw very little use before going south on me.

Before the Goodrich, I had a Dunlop High Gain volume pedal, which I had no issues with, but I didn't like the sweep and feel for swells. Might be the rider and not the horse, but it seemed very herky-jerky to me.

Active vs. passive is a consideration.

Seems like the Hilton was all the rage a few years back, have never played one.

This might be worth a read:

http://equipboard.com/posts/best-volume-pedal

11. Lamby

Lamby Member

This. Love mine.

12. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Pshaw, I bet you lot actually use your guitar's volume and tone controls as well!

Mr2D and MoonshineMan like this.
  13. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Almost to my detriment. But it keeps on working. ;)
    VP is just for lap steel.

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  14. jjasleby

jjasleby Member

I honestly don't know how Goodrich is still selling volume pedals. I've owned two. One had a scratchy pot right out of the gate. One developed the problem within six months or so. Virtually everyone I know or have seen on here has had the same problem. And yes, the pots are sealed, so there's basically nothing you can do.

Chadley and Tim Bowen like this.
  15. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I do.

And when my hands are too busy I just ask the whole band to stop and wait while I adjust my guitar volume.

Then I signal them to start again.

Why don't they invent a volume control you can use with your foot?

-bEn r.

televisual, JVJ and Blanket Jackson like this.
  16. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Like Jimi/Jimmy did?

17. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Mission vm-pro

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/volume-pedals/vm-pro/

Edit - I picked up this one because it has an internal toggle switch for making the output 'fuzz compatible', and also that it runs on 18v for higher headroom. I've got it on a board with a wireless, so while not ideal, does the trick well enough to make the fuzz work better! (germanium fuzz does not like the wireless buffered output, and while I lose the ability to get the fuzz to 'clean' up as well as it would when connected to my guitar directly with a cable, it does ok..) It's also got an option to set the heel down to something higher than '0', as in, if you don't want to make it go full-mute at heel down, sort of like a lead boost as a sweep pedal instead of on/off. I've kept mine as 0-100 for now, and have it placed pre-dirt pedals, so it does a different type of sweep to the gain as opposed to post dirt or in the fx loop of my amp.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    blackba, ogguitar and frontingbravery like this.
  18. jjasleby

jjasleby Member

If you work on your flexibility, you can just move your volume/tone pots with your feet while you play. It's totally changed the way my band is able to play live.

JVJ, Cgkindler, dmutter and 1 other person like this.
  19. kowalski440

kowalski440 Member

a banana republic run by an orange monkey
    Hilton.
    Although I did own a first version Virtual Volume pedal that was quite good. I sold it because I'd rather use my volume knob but I liked that pedal a lot.

20. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Thanks.

I actually keep an old EB stereo volume/pan pedal on the floor between my pedalboard and amp.

-bEn r.