What's the next logical step in profiling? I hope you say "Reverb"

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Scott Whigham, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

There's just too many crappy digital reverbs that just flat out don't sound natural on a guitar (to me at least). I hope we get the "Kemper Profiling Reverb" (or Axe Fx Reverb Matching or whatever - don't make this yet another Kemper vs. Axe Fx thread please :)) and then a bunch of dudes upload their various Fender/etc spring reverbs, an EMT 140, some killer other plates, etc. Would be awesome.

What else? Can we profile a Klon and then "own" it? This is just such an awesome time to be alive :)

2. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Reverb IR's take up a lot of memory, for example a 10 sec Hall IR reverb takes up the same space as 240 AXE-FX CABs.... so I don't think you are going to see this in hardware modelers unless they are specifically built for it with lots of memory.

If you can use a VST Reverb, allow me to recommend this one:

http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallaroom

It's the most amazing reverb I own, and I have owned lots of them, hardware and software.

:aok:aok

3. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

Funny how many people think reverb is simple. Its frickn hard. That said, count me in for one that can do a Bricasti M7 at <$400.00!! I'm sure they would sell a lot of them! [​IMG]

4. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

There is a free sampled IR library of the M7, you can download it here:
    http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/

I also like the Best Service Hall Of Fame collection.
    Lexicon stuff, including some tape delays and spring reverb.

They are both OK but I prefer ValhallaRoom.

:D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. mdme_sadie

mdme_sadie Member

Being able to profile a room and speaker diffusion and resonance would be incredibly useful. The memory point is a good one, although modern amp sims all have access to quite a bit of memory and external storage aplenty via the copious I/O on every unit today, but even so I'd expect that this will be done via modeling first (rather than conv verb) and sooner rather than later, people obviously want the "air" as that's all they seem to talk about and the air really means the room.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

+1

I have yet to hear "ONE" MFX that provides reverb that is anywhere near comparable to the $50 VST effect above. They are all tinny and metallic to my ears.

I don't know if its poor algorithms or lack of processing power but MFX reverb is pretty lame by studio standards.

7. AD_

AD_ Member

I'd say convolution reverb would be the next thing to have in a "set top box" style device. There are already lots of very high quality IRs available commercially, and all one has to do is wrap their plugins into a self-contained unit with plenty of CPU horsepower, working RAM, and storage.

I'm kind of surprised it isn't already done. I'd buy an Altiverb rack unit :)
    The idea of a "Kemper Reverb Profiler" is a cool idea, too. Again, surprised it isn't already done. I think the technology is definitely here. Maybe not the demand quite yet.

8. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

I think the Muse Receptor can run Convolution reverb plugs?

9. Guitartrue

Guitartrue Member

It's a cool idea but... do you really think Fractal (don't know about the kemper one) needs a new reverb?

10. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

I'm hopeful of a standalone unit that has the quality of the Bricasti but at 1/4 of the price! I use the Bricasti IRs in my Waves IRL plug and they are amazing. I'd love, though, to be able to profile a great Fender Vibrolux reverb, for example.

11. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Hey Scott! Long time no talk. I think we're a product generation or 2 away from devices powerful enough to run serious reverb ir processing. I think you could run IRs live today with minimal latency using something like the MUSE Receptor. That said, there are many who still champion algorithmic based reverbs like those employed by Eventide and Lexicon which have been heard on many, many recordings over the years. Based on what we've seen over the past 5 years in modeling, I can't imagine what we'll see in the next 5. Very exciting time to be a guitarist!

12. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

That's a great link! Thanks. Need to check out VahallaRoom. :aok

13. 690MBCOMMANDO

690MBCOMMANDO Member

I run hall into spring is some of my axe2 patches and it's....taxing on the CPU to say the least.

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The axe IMO is the only modeler that has studio quality FX so i don't think its in the discussion with the lame ass reverb you find on the mid level modelers.

Seriously my POD HD and my digitech RP355 have some poor sounding reverbs.

Personally i think IR verbs are over rated. Count me as one who prefers algo verbs. They move (modulate) in real time whereas i find IR's to be static, almost stale snapshots. The analogy that comes to mind is that IR verbs are like a hologram compared to the 2D movie that equates to a good algo verb.

The hologram is impressive but its no substitute for moving pictures.:dunno

15. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

16. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

It is excellent - this morning they released an IR of the King's Chamber from the Great Pyramid of Giza. I've spent most of the day playing with it. It has a 12s tail and some quirky room resonances that you can trigger by tuning your instruments to A=432Hz and playing in F#. It sounds bizarre but it actually works - I was showing some friends this afternoon. :D

17. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Oh, yeah! I know their products, absolutely amazing!

18. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

IR type stuff has been around for longer though.