What's the one pedal everyone should own?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jbbusybee, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I wonder what you all think. I've never owned an effects pedal, I currently have a Rivera Pubster which is soon to be join by a Swart. What does everyone think is a good pedal to have? I have no particular tone in mind just some new flavour for fun. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

You mean besides a tuner, right? :D

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

It's not worth having a pedal unless you personally like it, of course, but I would try a nice fuzzbox like an Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer or MXR Distortion +. It really depends on the tones you like to hear, but I notice that the guitar magazines that have diagrams of pro rigs from the guitar hero du jour almost always include one of these. Next would be a wah-wah. From there on, be sure it's something that gets you a specific sound you want or need, because you'll wind up with a boneyard of old effects you tried and didn't like. I think I'd be happy with just a Dunlop Cry Baby wah, Tube Screamer, and an analog delay.

Of course you could just try one of those digital things that does everything, then see what you like and compare it to the individual boxes of a given type.

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

5. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

If you play with a clean amp, then I think the one pedal you should have would be a good overdrive. If you get your overdrive from your amp, then I think the one pedal you should have would be either a good delay, or a good wah.

6. Matt F

Matt F Member

I really like the Pedalworx Silas which is a Silas and a Jfet boost in one. Also, along the same vien would be the Analogman King Of Tone. I like Guitar -> 2 stage pedal -> amp.

If you like the tones (overdrive) of the amp the way it sounds. Delay pedal would be a nice addition. Boss DD20 is really fun and not too over the top price wise.

7. ur86d

ur86d Member

Time traveling on a moonbeam through interstellar
    "What's the one pedal everyone should own? "

A: The pedal that i am selling, at any given time.

Heh heh but seriously. I think everyone should have a delay.

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I concur.

9. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

delay is the one effect i don't think i could live without. if i had to choose 1, i'd say probably an Ep-3 echoplex.

10. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

Definately some type of od pedal or delay if you like your amp's overdriven sounds.

11. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

The one pedal I can't do without and wish I had twenty years ago is my Throbak Overdrive Boost.
    http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/2006/11/overdrive_boost.html
    It's like an overdrive/fuzz/clean boost/treble booster/germanium + silicon hybrid fuzz/attenuator all in one. Seriously. And it has a really great EQ. The features can seem a little daunting at first, but once you get used to it, it can do some amazing things. And it should really work well with the Swart amp.

12. gregory49

gregory49 Member

that doesn't sound quite right?? Unless the TS is broken :confused::confused::confused:

Anyway, I don't think i could live without a Fuzz. I love my Sunlion but since thats two boxes in one.. lets say sunface.... Germanium

13. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Thanks guys I was thinking of a delay, any suggestions?

14. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Analog or digital? Inexpensive or price negotiable? Simple slapback echo or versatile super-delay? A lot of specifics to sift through first.

15. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I use the Boss DD-5 delay and it works great for me. Has alot of great stuff on it.

16. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I haven't a clue, perhaps that's the answer something to start on, but with enough versatility to keep for a while. price up to about $250.

17. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

TU-2.
    or an EQ.
    Who cares if you can phase it, chorus it, delay it, or distort it
    if you are out of tune or tinny sounding?

18. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

If you don't have any pedals and just want one for fun sounds I'd say either a delay or a wicked fuzz box.

19. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

The one pedal everyone should own (at least one point in their guitar playing career) is a Boss DD-something...even if it only makes them appreciate the nicer delays on the market today.

My first pedal was a DD-6! :jo

20. jdandry

jdandry Member

A tuner pedal for silent tuning!!