What's the opinion now about Fender Custom 68 Princeton?

tochiro

Hi,

This amp has been out for a few weeks and I wonder what owners think of it. Do you still like it? Or do you wish you had bought a Pr reissue?

Cheers

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
I had one for awhile, I traded it in for a 74 pr.

It sort of seemed like a one trick pony to me at gigging volumes. It started breaking up at about 4 with single coils and 3 with humbuckers. Below 3 or 4 it sounded like a princeton should, above that it started sounding somewhat like a small marshall. It does get much louder than a pr, and the breakup sound was pretty awesome

It's been out for a few months though, I think I got mine in september

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Subscribed.

There are a couple threads on this one.

As for the one trick pony...it could make a nice amp for somebody looking for that trick.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Subscribed.

There are a couple threads on this one.

As for the one trick pony...it could make a nice amp for somebody looking for that trick.
I agree, it is a good trick.

It's actually a really awesome low volume practice amp as well. Like I said at low volumes it sounds pretty similar to a 65 pr. But crank it up and there's no comparison really

Jimmy MAck

I notice that a lot of people are wanting to have their Princeton Reverb whether it's brown, black, silver, RI, or '68 Custom, be a good but mild gigging amp. Me too.

But, after mods, and 6L6 tubes, and more efficient spkrs, and a boost pedal, mine is still a tad underpowered. Unless miked.

I suspect the PR should be reserved for quiet gigs, miking onstage, or practice at home.

Yeah, I know....a lot of famous guys make them work. Without miking, it's a struggle.

I like to feel more wattage underneath the notes... to push them, and feel them onstage.

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
I've tried for the last year to use PR's and PR clones (Vintage Sound 15 and 20) as gigging amps (and I play little bars, usually). For me, they just don't work. A Vibrolux on 3, with the volume controlled by you guitar, sounds a lot better to me than a PR on stage. Campilongo and masters of his ilk maybe make them work, to me, they just fall apart and don't have enough "spread."

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
For the guys saying a pr is not loud enough,

The 68 custom is a much louder amp actually. It has a pretty inefficient Celestion but it was still louder than the 74 I traded for which had a weber speaker 10f150t