Whats the scoop DL4??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ted James, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Ted James

Ted James Member

Help me out here. Whats the deal w/ the Line 6 DL4 Delay modeler??? Gets bashed all over this site. I never hear anyone recomend it. BUT it seems to show up on everyone's pedal boards - from the pics of Gear Page members boards to what seems like half the pro's out there. Is it a love/hate type of thing???? Reliability suck??? Tone suck?? Looking for a good delay and would love to do both long and short. Bang for the buck seems great.

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I've got a Keeley modded DL4 and it's pretty cool. I use my Echo Parks more.

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

Do a search. A number of folks here really like it, and I myself just got done posting my own endorsement of it on another thread just five minutes ago.

Or better yet - try one out and see if it works for you

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The DL-4 is notorious for crapping out on a more-than-significant percent of owners out there. Many use it with no complaints, but there are many in the other camp as well.

Save yourself the risk and go for the excellent boss DD-20

I think many pros use it because it's easily replaceable and does sound good when it works properly

5. Ted James

Ted James Member

So is the Keeley mod a necessity? Is the volume drop off significant. I guess I could just try one out. But thats why I'm here looking for info first.

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't think any pros would go onstage with something they knew was likely to crap out but is 'easy to replace' - think about it.

I'm sure the DD-20 is a very good pedal, but I've never liked the sound of Boss digital delays and the DD-20 is no exception. And I don't see nearly as many 'players' using them, for whatever that's worth. Not much if you love it, I imagine, but it doesn't provide the 'evidence' you're looking for here...

I got the Keeley mods done. Yes, I think they sound great. No, I don't think they're 'necessary'.

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have never bashed the DL-4. I use it on my board. The only "issue" I've had with it was a nut on one of the switches came loose after about 2 years of use. I simply tightened it down and it keeps on a runnin.

8. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

Theyre on so many pedalboards it hurts my skull.

For a player with a backup and the cash for it, the DL4 is fantastic. I use the DD20 because I cant afford such an expendature. Plus, manual mode :BEER

9. dave s

dave s Member

Mine had a connections issue, (internal circuit board) during the 1st year of use which the local dealer took care of at no charge. Since then, its been on my pedal board another 4 years without issue.

Best thing is having the 3 different presets at the push of a button. Tone suck? I don't know ... it works for me! If it crapped out tomorrow and become unrepairable, I'd probably have to buy another copy!

dave

10. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Not a bad sounding pedal, owned 4 of them and they either arrived DOA or had major problems within a week. I've sworn off Line6, just my experience.

11. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Yeah, those switches can be funky on the pedals... & my SansAmp PSA-1 sounds better then the POD so I really don't have any need for Line6 either

12. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I recommend it:cool: I use it all the time. The switches did get loose way long ago and I had to open it up to get 'em back right. My pedalboard gets severely thrashed around. 3 presets & tap tempo. Works like a charm.

13. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I've had mine going on 6 years (got it as soon as it came out) and i've never had a single problem...

...now, of course, as i type this, the switches are probably crapping out as we speak!

Brian

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I used mine for a year, and liked the versatility. But after it crapped out at a gig (software glitch, that caused the loop-sampler to play back the loop from the previous song no matter which button was pressed :eek: ) I didn't trust it, and then shortly afterwards when I played a gig with just a Boss DM-2, I noticed how HUGELY better my tone was, as did other people present. I sold it immediately after that. Tone sucking and unreliable... not good IMO. (And the power supplies are crap, my first one was DOA, the second broke within 24hrs but I fixed it myself rather than going to the hassle of going back to the shop for yet another one :(.) I also realised that it's at least as big as three separate normal Boss-sized delays (or one and a DD-20), so the versatility really isn't all that much of an advantage after all.

I do miss the Sweep Echo patch on the DL-4, but not enough to want to own another one... in fact I think it's highly unlikely I'll own another Line6 product.

(FWIW, for a while I replaced it with the DM-2 and a DD-5, but the DD-5 crapped out as well - though not in quite such an embarrassing way, the delay just stopped working leaving just a dry sound - this is the only Boss pedal I've ever had a problem with, and I've come across another one professionally with the same fault... it was a chip fault too, not something I could fix easily. That's enough that I'll never own another one of those either. I have a very low tolerance for unreliability. Now I use an old Boss DE-200 rackmount delay and the DM-2... which sounds far better than any previous combination I've had as well.)

15. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have had mine for a few years now. Worked great until a few months ago. It just started skipping certain presets. I can only switch to certain delays and every delay has a slight modulation effect now. There is no way for me to dial it out.

Any help would be great.

16. 6789

6789 Member

I bought one when they first came out and after two months it crapped out and wouldn't turn on. I got it exchanged for another and it has been fine ever since. I use it on my board.

17. drolling

drolling Member

I don't care how many pros use 'em.. They have serious QC issues at Line6, and I can't for the life of me understand why some players will go through 3 or 4 Echo Parks trying to find one that doesn't hum/hiss, or why at least one poster has said that they've already been thru' a couple of them, but they're cheap enough to replace every couple years. WTF's up w/that? I've had pedals for 25 years that are still working fine.

The dealer who sold me my Gretsch told me he had to stop carrying Line6, because so much of their stuff kept coming back for repairs.. Check HC reviews for plenty horror stories.. But somehow, Line6 devotees seem to take it personally when someone posts about a less than positive experience, kinda like the rare satisfied 'Toyz customers.

When my DL4 tanked out, I had to pay a $50 bench charge to find out that repairs would cost more than a new one. Too bad. The loop function alone was a real blast.. still miss it sometimes.

18. david eaton

david eaton Member

had mine on my board since they came out in what, 98 or 99? No issues. Sounds good, easy to use, I have no complaints.

19. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

yeah part of all of that is cheap components (switches etc) and the digital nature of stuff being subjected to gigging environments. My DL4 has been great. No issues at all, but a lot of people do have problems. it really sucks because in theory and in practice, for what it is it's really cool, but in the end, I really wonder why more solo acoustic people don't have the Akai headrush and or the Bozz loop sampler or the lofi loop junkie, the majority of people gigging the DL4 use it mainly for that sampler. I guess it is smaller and cheaper than a boomerang too. It'd be phenominal if it were built better.

The all time worst ever device I've ever experienced was the Johnson Millenium (digitech 2120 mated to a power amp) Around $2200 bucks I think originally, I probably sold 5 of them, every single one, including some store demos crapped out in less than a month.

20. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

3 years..not one issue. It's been a great pedal with a ton of nice sounds.