What's the stupidest reason you've ever been fired from a band?

Ryan

For having a beer. Literally, one. It was a church gig at a Baptist church. That was an interesting, albeit brief, experience.

LarryN

...because I lugged out too much stuff to an $80 gig.
Don't they get it? You have to try stuff in the real world. At my last gig the singer's boyfriend stood there while I packed my stuff. I was the last one. I get comments sometimes. Someday I'll dial it in. Not. So far, not fired for it. That's harsh, sir.

SouthernShred

Supporting Member
I was sharing a gig with a good friend of mine...he'd play with this artist one weekend, I'd play another based on our schedules with other gigs, etc...the country artist would do 2 or 3 nights in a row...on one two nighter, I played that Friday night and the bandleader told me, "Here let me help you load your stuff out, Neal is going to play tomorrow night"...to which I replied "Neal and I are cool with each of us doing 2 nights at a time, I turned down other gigs on Saturday to do these 2 nights with you. I don't understand having me load my stuff in for one night and another guitarist the next night"...I got an email the next day from his wife firing me from the gig...

Go figure

mototpsychel

I was given the old heave ho from my first garage/party band because another band member wanted to go in a differant direction- as in he wanted to be the leader. Best thing that ever happened to me. Got a bad case of "I'll show them" - brought in some guys and recorded a 45, and released it locally. Next thing you know I'm getting all the best musicians in town wanting to play with me. Pretty soon we're getting all the best gigs and kicking ass. If I wasn't given the boot, I don't how long I would've stayed in the garage.

We did fire a drummer once because he didn't have a van...after he said he did. Hey man, vans were important.

Nurk2

"Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod
"And if the band your in starts playing different tunes...."

Sancho

Got fired from a band in 93 because I was talking about moving in with my girlfriend and the guitarist and singer thought I "wasn't motivated enough for music" and would "probably quit playing altogether and settle down".
Nearly 20 years on, I've been in bands consistently, recorded two albums and an EP and played Wacken Open Air, among others.
They? Settled down and quit music...

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Gold Supporting Member
1) Didn't "party" before/during shows. Two of them are no longer among us.
2) Wrong skin color.
3) Expected my bandmates to be able to read charts and to play in different keys to accommodate horn players.
4) Too old.

madbob

Supporting Member
I was playing in a cover band while i was in college and the rhythm guitar player was much older than the rest of the band (everyone else went to the same college). We rehearsed at the older guy's house and one time I brought a friend with me. We had a little too much to drink and my buddy went and hit on the older guitarist's wife by telling her her dad was a good guitar player (she was much younger than him). It took me a month to figure out what happened since they didn't even talk to me about it - just never called me for another rehearsal or gig.

shredtrash

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've only been fired once and it was my fault, although it didn't have anything to do with my playing. I could be a bit difficult to work with at that point in my life. We all grow up...hopefully.

Smakutus

I didn't get fired but...

I was asked to join a band with some older guys back in 84 and we were really good for the short time we were together.. One night in the third or fourth week we were playing some tune in a bar and I played a "cool guitar guy" solo bit that the other guitar player normally played or something and after the song he came over to me on stage and told me he was going to beat me up if I ever did that again. I was like what? I still don't know what the hell he was talking about but I finished the weekend, got paid, and told them see ya later.. They played one more week without me and then broke up. ****ing goof ball.. He's friends with me on Facebook now.. <g>

Jeff

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
I left a gig with my old band, and having had some cold medicine and a couple of beers, I decided to start a post on a message board* about some issues with the band. I was venting about how the bass player never gotten the right feel for bluegrass, and how the fiddle player/band leader played over the top of everything.

Someone saw the thread and shared it with the band leader, and he didn't like it at all. Canned me over the phone.

I shouldn't have posted about my issues, but it was a lesson learned.

* Not TGP!

cottoneyedjoe

Because I didn't look like I was on a 30 day heroin binge....

Plus I felt there was more to life than playing the suggested "disco" numbers for fifty year old women that wished they were still fourteen. We were becoming the "toy band" for one of the band member's wives. She would invite all of her friends over for "wine and cheese" while we were trying to learn material for gigs.

She would then proceed to get inebriated with her friends while watching the rehearsal and shout song titles to perform like we were a $4 dollar jukebox.

Good riddance.

cottoneyedjoe

I got "let go" because I told the drummer's wife to "F" off when she wanted us to play disco. I felt like I was in her little toy band.

She would get blitzed on wine, and then start calling out the names of disco tunes "we should play" and COMMANDED us to play them when she called them out. While we were trying to rehearse!

She would often bring over her well to do business friends and show us off like we were her "toy band". Then I realized what it had become.

We were playing together for her social status. I voiced my opinion of the situation. I was let go immediately. Within a few months the band broke up, and I am now playing with the remaining members minus the drummer.

So he got the "Reverse Full Nelson".

I love irony.
Holy Crap. I just realized I said the same sh*t two years ago! Glad my story hasn't changed. I posted this on 1/13/2010!

wolfman63

I was hired to play guitar, five nights a week, by the band comming in to replace the band I was playing in. For a month the leader, the keyboard player, would look at me every time I took a solo and tell me "No, not now!", and frown. Consequently, I got to play very little other than chords. He called me aside after we finished one night, and told me he was replacing me, but was nice enough to give me two weeks notice. For my remaining two weeks I played when I wanted to, what I wanted to, and the way I wanted to play, figuring, "What's he gonna do, fire me?" Upon finishing up my final night, he came to me and said, "Now just why haven't you been playing like that all along? If you had, I wouldn't have replaced you!" Go figure...

Rockledge

I Didn't really get fired from this one, I intentionally caused myself not to be part of it.
I was playing with some guys in a so called "Christian Rock" which is essentially mostly just gospel musicians with fuzz pedals and louder drums.
The bands front guy was a young guy, would show up to gigs with gloves with no fingers and all kinds of attempts at getting attention. He played keyboard and would jump around while playing , doing all kinds of stuff trying to pretend to "rock".
I would pretty much just kinda hide behind speaker cabs and stuff.. I wasn't interested in attention.
I was quite a bit older than them and had gotten over testosterone poisoning years before.
Every single time we did a gig, young guys would walk right past this guy and walk up to me and say stuff like "DUDE!!! Where did you learn to play guitar like THAT!"
And of course, I had to try to play it off, and it put me in a VERY bad situation with the guy that did everything to be the star.........
At some later time, the guys in the band approached me . Came to my house and wanted me to play with them again.
I told the front guy "I'll do it, but if I do it , I will do it to serve God not just to help you pump your ego up".
That was the last I seen of him.

monty

Got fired from a band in 93 because I was talking about moving in with my girlfriend and the guitarist and singer thought I "wasn't motivated enough for music" and would "probably quit playing altogether and settle down".
Nearly 20 years on, I've been in bands consistently, recorded two albums and an EP and played Wacken Open Air, among others.
They? Settled down and quit music...
Ha! Almost the same story here word for word.

essentially mostly just gospel musicians with fuzz pedals and louder drums.
LOL You've GOT to find a different crew to play with, unless by ''gospel musicians" you mean folks like Andre Crouch, Israel Houghton, Robert Randolph, or Glenn Kaiser and Lincoln Brewster (which I doubt).

Trending Topics