What's the stupidest reason you've ever been fired from a band?

dohootowl

I refused to participate in an audition for the FOX TV show 'The Next Great American Band'. The other guitar player insisted this was our 'big chance' and in spite of the fact that the contract read like the rules of conduct in your local Russian gulag, he refused to listen and I was let go.

To follow up, the band never made it past the first round but they were still tied to the contract (as was clearly stated) and everyone in the band had to put all musical ventures on hold for 6 months. Funny, as the other guitarist owned and operated a record label. My oh my how fame can blind.
Fools rush in....

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Silver Supporting Member
I was let go from a band that I formed and played in for over a year but no one told me why.

Then a few months later they asked me back. Then they fired me again. A few months later one of the guys asked me back in, I told him no way.
That was 30+ years ago, they never told me why. I just played a concert with some of those guys last week. The crowd went wild. Still don't know why they fired me.
Did you ever ask?

Celticdave

Seeker
Gold Supporting Member
I refused to participate in an audition for the FOX TV show 'The Next Great American Band'. The other guitar player insisted this was our 'big chance' and in spite of the fact that the contract read like the rules of conduct in your local Russian gulag, he refused to listen and I was let go.

To follow up, the band never made it past the first round but they were still tied to the contract (as was clearly stated) and everyone in the band had to put all musical ventures on hold for 6 months. Funny, as the other guitarist owned and operated a record label. My oh my how fame can blind.
You did the right thing man. I had a private audition for a NBC network show (the producer got a hold of my myspace somehow) and made the first cut. When they called, I kindly bowed out.

The thing that many people don't realize is that, yes, you get some exposure BUT unless you win, you're always going to be the ones who lost. There have been a few exceptions with American Idol but I can't tell you who's won any of those other shows.

I was given a "reality" check by some big wigs in the biz about how all of that works...they told me to steer clear.

headstack

I was hired on as a session bass player for well known "punkish" band's album.
They let me go because I "was too tight and made the rest of the band sound bad".
Does that count?

guitbeef

I was let go once for being too tall (I'm 6' 3"). They tried moving me upstage, but that wasn't to their satisfaction, i guess...

dunara

I was fired for turning up for a soundcheck in an anorak (I'd just been hillwalking with my wife). I had my stage clothes in a bag. The bands manager was given the job of telling me. It would seem that I was expected to 'look the part 24/7'. I found out later that the manager had fought my corner, telling them that they were making a huge mistake.
They subsequently asked me twice to rejoin......

JohnnyGtar

I once got canned because I wasn't impressed with the bass players original tunes. I wasn't mean about it, in fact I didn't react to them at all but that didn't matter to him I guess. LOL

guitarmook

I was fired for 'having the wrong sound'... a month after we released a CD that we spent 8 months recording and mixing, with 'my sound' all over it.

Jman60

I was fired only once in 35 years,.....

I was hired as a bass player a few years ago and even though they liked what I did musically, I got canned for "sitting on a stool during rehearsals". I was told after the fact that the singer didn't like me and thought I didn't have any stage presence.

Stage presence?? In a bar band playing covers?? Go figuire!!

The funny thing was the band canned the singer about 4 months later.

lhallam

Did you ever ask?
The first time I called the singer and asked when we were rehearsing next. He said he didn't know, we didn't have any gigs. About a month later I found out they played some gigs without me.

I just figured I sucked (which I do), plus there was a power play going on to change from Tull, ABB, Yes, Santana to Black Sabbath, Mountain and "heavier groups" so there was really no need to get all tied up in drama.

The second time, I asked the singer when we were going to rehearse and he told me that I had quit. I said I didn't quit and he responded because I took my amp home that meant I quit.

I almost always took my amp because I like to practice with it. So I know that was just a BS excuse. My first post was wrong, I was told except that I didn't quit so I really don't buy that one.

I did and still do remain friends with these guys (the drummer & I are best of friends), it's water under the bridge.

I've been kicked out of more bands since then. I'm incompetant as well as a prick. It's my fault, I don't have any excuses.

FlyingVBlues

Gold Supporting Member
The first time I called the singer and asked when we were rehearsing next. He said he didn't know, we didn't have any gigs. About a month later I found out they played some gigs without me.

I just figured I sucked (which I do), plus there was a power play going on to change from Tull, ABB, Yes, Santana to Black Sabbath, Mountain and "heavier groups" so there was really no need to get all tied up in drama.

The second time, I asked the singer when we were going to rehearse and he told me that I had quit. I said I didn't quit and he responded because I took my amp home that meant I quit.

I almost always took my amp because I like to practice with it. So I know that was just a BS excuse. My first post was wrong, I was told except that I didn't quit so I really don't buy that one.

I did and still do remain friends with these guys (the drummer & I are best of friends), it's water under the bridge.

I've been kicked out of more bands since then. I'm incompetant as well as a prick. It's my fault, I don't have any excuses.
Despite Lance’s self-deprecating comments about his skills on guitar he is quite competent. At different times Lance and I were kicked out of a blues cover band by the leader, a guy nicknamed “The Mauler” for his supposedly “voracious” style of playing keyboards. The only thing this guy actually mauls is guitar players – I think half the guitarist’s in the DC area have been in, and have been fired from this band at one time or another. My transgression was wanting to play a few songs that were deemed to be too complex for the band to do.

FVB

ABKB

Never been fired from a band, mostly because I have led most that I have been in. But even then I have never fired anybody without cause (and warnings). This thread is making me think that most of the leaders out there are incompetent. Maybe that shouldn't surprise me. Duuno, but this is some very odd stuff.

Marc Roy

Despite Lance’s self-deprecating comments about his skills on guitar he is quite competent. At different times Lance and I were kicked out of a blues cover band by the leader, a guy nicknamed “The Mauler” for his supposedly “voracious” style of playing keyboards. The only thing this guy actually mauls is guitar players – I think half the guitarist’s in the DC area have been in, and have been fired from this band at one time or another. My transgression was wanting to play a few songs that were deemed to be too complex for the band to do.

FVB
You mean to say that someone named "The Mauler" was incapable of handling a complex tune?:D

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
This thread is making me think that most of the leaders out there are incompetent. Maybe that shouldn't surprise me. Duuno, but this is some very odd stuff.

Been around many musicians?

:mmm

They are not exactly known for their connection to reality.

Marc Roy

Been around many musicians?

:mmm

They are not exactly known for their connection to reality.
I played with a drummer who thought he was the leader. He didn't have much of a connection to reality either, both regarding his actual playing skills and attitude. Gotta love playing with total dickheads who think they know everything.

Lotis

Silver Supporting Member
Just failed an audition because the other guitar player told me I was "Too good" and would get bored....the singer emailed me with apologies and said the real issue was "insecurities". weird!

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Silver Supporting Member
Just failed an audition because the other guitar player told me I was "Too good" and would get bored....the singer emailed me with apologies and said the real issue was "insecurities". weird!
I played lead in my high school despite the fact that our second guitarist and even our bassist were MUCH better guitarists than me at the time (and the bassist STILL is, he's incredibly good).

I sort of backed into it. The guy played bass because he actually owned bass equipment. The other guitarist didn't want to change from his sovtek BMP and laney pro tube setup (his tone just wasn't suited for leads) and he preferred to stand in the back of the stage with the drummer.

So that left me. Since I was the principal song writer anyway, it made sense, and the responsibility encouraged me to get better at guitar.