• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's the top current HIP pedals to have?

madhattertcm

As the title says - what do you think are the current hip must haves?

I think they're along these lines?

Dirt:
Fetto
P/KoT
Klon KTR
Tim/my
Bearfoot Bees

Delay:
ML2/Jr
El Cap
X4

Verbs:
WET

What's your thoughts? What do you see everyone having and creaming over? Feel free to add categories

ERGExplorer

I obviously spend too much time on the craft of writing compelling music, and not enough on worrying about which pedals others are "having and creaming over." *laugh*

Fair enough, though. If we all had the same priorities, things might get pretty boring....

Carry on!

madhattertcm

I obviously spend too much time on the craft of writing compelling music, and not enough on worrying about which pedals others are "having and creaming over." *laugh*

It's not necessarily so that anyone can be like "oh, that's popular? I want it now" - More so to see what's trending and almost have a laugh at it. Such as everyone getting wet over the WET.

cajone5

Some guy
I'd say the "it" pedals at the moment are...

SUF Muffs
Klon KTR
PCE Aluminum Falcon 2
Tim/my (always an "it" pedal)

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
Bogner is the top Flavor of the Week for dirt. KTR's are certainly up there for conversation, but since they aren't easy to get it's not a contender for top spot.

Although there are a bunch of new delays (Flashback X4, Supa Puss, Echorec, Quantum Leap), I'd say the Timeline is still number one for TGP hippitude.

Muffs were this year's Hip fuzz. Take THAT tonebenders!

Obviously the Mobius will be the Hippest modulation device, but currently reverbs with shimmer (Supernatural, Eterna, Blue Sky, etc.) are the hot commodities. last year I'd say Vibes were, but this year was all about reverb. This week? I'd say already there are more stiff nipples talking about the Mobius than actual current offerings.

If you wandered away from TGP for a bit to say, I Love Fuzz or Harmony Central, people are pretty infatuated with Iron Ether, Mountain King, Infanem, and the Red Panda.

I also predict the Barber Gain-Changer will rise to the top upon release.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Do yourself a favor, forget the "flavor of the week" pedals and let your ears decide. Check out things that look like they might work and try them or get them from a place where you can return them. If you play in a band-try them immediately with NO Velcro on the the board so you can take it back when the master of rock pedal ends up sounding like thin weasal crap.
I fell for this early on in my TGP experience and got taken in by the fanboi contingent and dropped over $300 dollars on 2 pedals that failed to deliver on every level for me. I really wanted to like them, but the proof was in the performance, and both failed. I'm not going into any more specifics because I'm not here to slag the company. The products were well built and others swear by them, but they didn't do anything for me that they were hyped to do.
So, the point of this is to hopefully pass on a learning experience to folks looking to get some new pedals. Everybody has an opinion, but the only one that really matters is yours, so let your ears and real world experience make your decision, rather than the just the popularity contest of the handbuilt from components blessed by the Pope(or cursed by the devil-whatever yer deal is-haha).
Do yourself, your wallet, and your sanity a favor. Good luck.

Fulldrive-1

Do yourself a favor, forget the "flavor of the week" pedals and let your ears decide.. . . . If you play in a band-try them immediately with NO Velcro on the the board so you can take it back when the master of rock pedal ends up sounding like thin weasal crap.
. . . . so let your ears and real world experience make your decision, rather than the just the popularity contest of the handbuilt from components blessed by the Pope(or cursed by the devil-whatever yer deal is-haha).
Do yourself, your wallet, and your sanity a favor. Good luck.

Yeah. This guy gets it.

Some of us, perhaps older players who didn't grow up with the Net, have known this all along. I've read a thread here where people claim to buy 15 or 20 drive pedals a year and are always comparing them, "rebuilding" the pedalboard, selling them, trading them, salivating over ones rumored to be appearing in the future. Some of these pedalboards are worth $3-5000. I suppose this is an interesting if expensive pass-time in itself, but how much has it to do with making music?

Find something that works to enhance your playing, keep it simple, work on your music. Don't worry about the $1200 magic Klon, the waiting lists, the bumblebee capacitors you're dying to install in your Les Paul, what gauge strings SRV was using at Montreaux in '82. Play music. Much more depends on the player than on the OD pedal.

steam-powered

As the title says - what do you think are the current hip must haves?

I think they're along these lines?

Dirt:
Fetto
P/KoT
Klon KTR
Tim/my
Bearfoot Bees

Delay:
ML2/Jr
El Cap
X4

Verbs:
WET

No interest in any of those dirt pedals. Could care less about reverb pedals since my amp has spring reverb. I'll admit that I bought a MLjr a few months ago and absolutely love it.

While I won't be needing one, I predict that the Barber Gain-Changer will be an incredibly "hip" pedal once it's released.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah. This guy gets it.

Some of us, perhaps older players who didn't grow up with the Net, have known this all along. I've read a thread here where people claim to buy 15 or 20 drive pedals a year and are always comparing them, "rebuilding" the pedalboard, selling them, trading them, salivating over ones rumored to be appearing in the future. Some of these pedalboards are worth $3-5000. I suppose this is an interesting if expensive pass-time in itself, but how much has it to do with making music?

Find something that works to enhance your playing, keep it simple, work on your music. Don't worry about the $1200 magic Klon, the waiting lists, the bumblebee capacitors you're dying to install in your Les Paul, what gauge strings SRV was using at Montreaux in '82. Play music. Much more depends on the player than on the OD pedal.

Thank you, you get it as well. Easy to go broke trying to be "cool". I've seen some guys get killer tones out of gear that the corksniffers would have a freakin anurisim if you even suggested they try it.

Yeah, I didn't grow up with the internet either, and had to learn licks off of repeated passes on the turntable:)

steam-powered

Some of us, perhaps older players who didn't grow up with the Net, have known this all along. I've read a thread here where people claim to buy 15 or 20 drive pedals a year and are always comparing them, "rebuilding" the pedalboard, selling them, trading them, salivating over ones rumored to be appearing in the future.

Fifteen to twenty od pedals a year? And to think that I was being extravagant by having three od pedals on my board (one geared towards single coils, one for humbuckers, and a 1/2 gainer for transparency).

dB

Silver Supporting Member
Mooer, in a hipster Pabst Blue Ribbon sort of way.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
I still don't understand people that come to an effects forum and constantly tell people not to be overly interested in effects.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom