What's the Tremoverb's Clean like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lanervoza, Mar 15, 2006.

1. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

I have a chance to get one real cheap, a combo.

I suppose I'm interested in the dirty too.

I've just heard so many good things about these amps.

alex

2. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Hey Alex, its actually quite usable. I own a head and although the dirty channel is why i bought it, ive found the clean channel to be very versatile. I have it set up slightly dirty and am able to roll my guitar volume down for a completely clean sound. The reverb is also nice. Go for it!

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I agree. One of the best cleans out of that Manufacturer. Not impossible to dial in as well.

Still baffled why they discontinued these.

4. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Pretty great cleans with the right speakers... which imo aren't the V30s which came stock with the combo. Too much upper-mid hump which clogs up 5-6 note chords. Much better with 2 Jensen repro types, can definitely cop a classic Fender vibe with the reverb. Even the trem was excellent.

Possibly the best amp that company ever made, but then part of what made it great (again, imo) is that there were at least 2 sounds which the regular DR amps couldn't produce, and they don't do the "brutal gain" thing which was all the rage at the time.

5. angelo

angelo Member

I have owned 4 boogies -- still have 2 -- and have never bought a tremoverb because I didn't like the disto for ME!

I loved the clean and found a great and familiar fender vibe there.

go figure....

6. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I love the clean sound on this amp, you can dial it in to almost anything you could imagine, just not what its known for. I think tremoverbs are one of the best channel swithcers around, especially for the money.

7. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

Cool, thanks for all the replies.

Would you describe it as dark? bright? Smooth? Sharp? Lots of headroom or pretty easy break up?

My current amp is a Fender Pro Tube Twin Amp (the newest twin) which i really like the clean of (obviously) but the dirty is just lifeless (obviously :p).

I think I'll go for it, but I've heard they're heavy buggers - true?

8. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

103 lbs. WORD! They DO have good handles, and casters.

I just bought two Celestion Heritage G12H's which would pretty much render moot the upper mid hump of the V30's. I will say I like the Mesa V30's much better than the 'usual' V30's...much better.

Part of getting the "right distortion" (and i know what you mean, angelo) is in:
    a. properly dialing in the EQ
    b. the right preamp tubes
    c. the right power tubes

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You just asked about the clean, but the distortion is very nice too, hint of the Mesa growl, but it had more of a Marshall vibe. The one I've doinked with had the EL34's, so it would get closer to that.

Yeah, I've heard many a person sell this thing off because flat out it takes 2 bodies to move it.

EP

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I have an early Tremoverb (my son is really into it, and has taken it) and I bought it new and used it for tons of ad work over the years.

Its clean tones are good, actually they remind me somewhat of the Bogner Shiva's clean tones. That is, they're lightly compressed, with decent bite and smooth bottom end.

There isn't the touch-sensitivity you get with, say, a Two-Rock clean, unless you crank the amp quite loud, but hey, it's not five grand, either. The clean channel's gain control is useful. Remember that there is also the vintage setting, which gives you a very bluesy purr on that channel.

It's a very versatile amp; I've had several of the more expensive amp varieties, and remain impressed with what Mesa accomplished with the Tremoverb.

By the way, my 140 pound son moves the amp by himself when he gigs with it, so it isn't all that bad...unless you're an old guy like me! But with two people, it's a breeze.

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I'm 45 and can move my Tverb 2x12 combo easily with no problem. It's built great. WAY easier than most PA gear I deal with . Also the V30's in mine sound just fine. I haven't found a better sounding speaker with it out of dozens I've tried , other than I tried it thru a nice 1x12 with an Eminence Wizard I have.. That was absolutely great.. I'm going to try to swap 1 V30 with a Wizard 1 of these days.. All the other speakers (Celes, Boogie 90's, etc ) didn't sound as good as the V30's with it. ALso the CLEAN channel is TOTALLY great to me. I don't know which channel Dada'S Michael Gurley uses for most of his stuff but each time I've seen them live (about 8 times) he uses the Rectifier with Boss pedals and sounds phenomenal . The clean AND other channels all take pedals perfectly too. It's a good amp. It's missing a few features I wish it had, BUT it's got LOADS of great features that work great. Have fun

ERIC

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i had one and had to sell it because i was moving.
    Mine was Voodoo Modded, i miss it with all of my heart, that one was a 1994 and i am looking for another one.

As for the cleans been as good as the shiva, no, they are a lot better IMO.
    At least mine was better than the Shiva i tried yesterday.

Tverbs are the ****,as good as the best amp out there...

I had a combo

13. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

what did that entail, and what were the results?

14. dehughes

dehughes Member

What's the Tremoverb's Clean like?

LOUD.

Mine was a 2x12 combo, with V30s, and if I was a collector I'd still have it. GREAT AMP, but not as good as the Top Hats that replaced it.

david