What's the value of this used 2012 Gibson Historic R9 VOS? Hold out for a 13'/14'?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SinglecutGuy, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

I have a friend at a reputable music store that has a used 2012 VOS R9 in Bourbon Burst that he's asking $3900 for. I have just started getting my feet wet looking for a good R9 and I'm thinking that for a 12' this is a bit high. A bunch of research that I've done has led me to believe that the 2013 and 2014 models are the best in terms of quality. This 2012 is in decent shape but the back appears to have some wear. I saw a couple on eBay that sold for considerably less than this but I'm not sure why or if they're any different.

Is this a good price for one used, or should I wait for a good deal on a 2013 or 2014? Money isn't really a problem, it's more about the value of the investment. He's a very good guy, and I've had good experience with him and his shop, so I don't doubt his credibility, I just don't know enough about these yet to know what I should pay for one, and the limited research I've done says to look at 13'/14' models.

What say you?

2. Bogner

Bogner Member

If money is no problem buy a new one at full pop that plays to your liking and be done with it. :)

3. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

That's no bargain in my opinion. Keep looking. I'm seeing some nice flamed 2014 R8's out there for the same price or less.

4. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

It's not a problem, but I'd like to have a better investment than that. If I need to sell it, I'd rather not take a huge loss, if any at all. I'd also like something that may appreciate, so starting at a lower price point would be a better value.

I'm looking at it from an investment standpoint as well as a pleasure purchase.

5. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

2012 R9's can be a problem to resell due to the laminate fret board on some.. Right or wrong - It's perceived as an "issue" ;)

3900 is full pop for that guitar IMHO - he's not doing you any favors. 3500? If it plays nice and has a good top...I start getting interested. ;)

6. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

This ^

They were selling closer to $3000 for a while.
    Some dealers won't even touch them due to the 2 piece fret board issue.

Les Paul forum has a lot of info. May want to give marks guitar loft a call,

That's way high specially with wear

7. 73Fender

73Fender Member

My thought as well. I'd try to find a 2013 or 2014 or if, as you mentioned, you want a good deal, don't rule out previous years.

I thinks used prices may be rising with all the talk of price increases being imminent on new ones.

8. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

9. M40A1

M40A1 Member

Absolutely agree with this. FWIW, Dave's has been getting a plethora of nice R8s in lately.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

12'? That's pretty long for a Les Paul! Mine's only about 3'.

I'd say playing it would be a major factor. The years might be considered better or worse, and the '13s and '14s have a good reputation, but it comes down to the individual guitar, as always. But if you're just starting to look, it might be wise not to grab the first one that presents itself, especially if you suspect you might do better.

11. Bogner

Bogner Member

I would go for a 13 or 14 and find/create a deal.

12. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Okay it seems you want a top shelf R-9 for the pleasure of playing, as well as hoping it keeps or increases a bit in value=Don't get the 2012!

As forum member 'Rango' pointed out right or wrong all 2012's are going to carry the stigma of having a period incorrect 'Baked Maple" fretboard. Personally I am waiting on the arrival of my third guitar with a 'roasted maple neck' as I love them, but it is a totally different guitar. An R-9 is on my bucket list but I personally wouldn't get a 2012 myself. If you are going to buy the top of the line you may as well do it right!

That is not a knock on anyone that owns a 2012 R-9 as it probably sings incredible and if you were just looking to buy one to gig with I would say go for it, though that price your so called friend gave you isn't any bargain in my book. But you are also looking at it as collectable and unfortunately that year is as off in that department as can be because of the fretboard. You stated the "scratch" isn't an issue, so my advice would be patient and you will find the one that meets your demands in both departments.

13. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

When I was looking last year a good friend who knows those guitars well told me to get the newest with the best top. I listened and ended up falling for a mint '13 R9 w/a killer top and an vg+ '14 R8 w/some light flame. No regrets. I paid a grand more for both compared to what the R9 alone would of cost new. Keep looking is my advice.

14. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Which year was it that the fingerboards were made out of veneered layered rosewood?

If I was going to drop $5k on an R9 I'd want to know 2 things, 1) solid rosewood fingerboard and 2) non-chambered/weight relived.

15. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

16. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

2 years ago I saw a used 2012 R0 at a local shop. They were asking like $4,500. It plays really well and has a great top on it. I asked the guy at the time if he would move on the price due to the laminated board. He wasn't inclined to move on the price.

Recently I stopped in the same shop and he STILL has the guitar for sale. Mind you he does a lot of internet sales. It's not just walk up business. I played the guitar again. I still liked it. I assumed he has to want to move this guitar by now. Again I asked him if he was willing to work on the price. I told him I was aware he'd had it forever and that the board is laminated and most guys looking for those guitars won't touch it and this is why it hasn't sold.

He got defensive and kind of blew up on me..."I don't believe in this 'good wood year, bad wood year BS'. I told him it wasn't about good wood or bad wood, but about a year they had to make concessions in build quality. He didn't want to hear about it, and continued to be grumbly so I just left again. He still has the guitar.

Honestly, many good guitars have laminated fret boards. It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me. I have never had a guitar dilapidate on me due to a laminated board. I have a 2012 '61 RI SG and I love that guitar. That being said, I would not be a sucker and over pay for one because a seller refuses to face the reality of what they own. If you ever get in a position or make a decision to sell it then you are the one holding the bag on the loss. Their problem is not your problem.

Things are worth what they are worth. Make him a fair offer based on what you know. If they take it, great. If not then they can just keep hoping for an uninformed rich guy to walk in the door and over pay their asking price. The guy I mentioned above has been waiting over 2 years for that uninformed rich guy to walk through the door because most guys who are looking for these guitars, and have put together the money to drop on one have done some research. We live in an internet world. These kind of sellers are at a disadvantage these days.

17. johnpace2

johnpace2 Supporting Member

For sure get a 13/14 or any other year other than 2012. Regardless of the truth/fiction of the laminated fret board, the value is impacted substantially.

The 13/14's are killer guitars though. Just head over to the Les Paul forums and it won't take you long to find the one you want.

18. tele1951

tele1951 Silver Supporting Member

I would look for a clean,used '13 or '14 R8.

IMO, the Custombucker pickups and Hide Glue neck joint are what makes these guitars the best Historics Gibson has ever made.

19. johnpace2

johnpace2 Supporting Member

The Custombucker pickups in my 13 R8 sound fantastic!