What's the verdict on Richlite fingerboards?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PLAYLOUD, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Redrum

Redrum Member

I appreciate the stability that Richlite offers. The neck of my Martin has proven the least problematic, and least maintenance intensive neck of any of the guitars I have owned, electrics included. Rarely touch the truss rod, and it's on a OOO sized acoustic with a longer scale neck. Go figure.

In my experience Richlite appears to be a stable material, assists with tuning stability and it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to temperature variations and humidity fluctuations as Maple, Rosewood or even Ebony fingerboards. I think it's legit material and a functional alternative to the standard (and dwindling) organic fingerboard woods.

I only speak with my experience with a single guitar (albeit an acoustic), but the material has merit and really shouldn't be dismissed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Maggot and DC1 like this.
  2. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

It seems like a decent alternative to endangered woods. A material like that should be used on many new guitars. Personally, I'd rather buy a used guitar with a solid wood fretboard than a new guitar with richlite.

3. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

I like Godin, and they use it a lot, but Godin is a brand that has always been more modern and innovative. I like that, but I also like the traditional brands too. So I wouldn't mind Richlite on something modern, I want real wood on a Gibson or a Martin. That probably makes me shallow, but I'm fine with that.

4. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I have an SG with Richlite. It is fine. No complaints whatsoever.

5. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Member

My Godin plays great, never an issue

tjontheroad likes this.
  6. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

I suspect I will always be among the troglodytes that want a fingerboard made of wood. I am open - reluctantly - to other, more sustainable woods, and I do appreciate and own guitars like my Steinberger GL, which has no wood whatsoever, but a traditional guitar model must be made of wood.

Now, I’d really be interested in knowing what is the perspective with bowed instruments: are there any violins, cellos etc with a Richlite fingerboard?

7. DC1

DC1 Member

http://soundcomposites.com/fingerboards.html

dc

8. brittwin

brittwin Supporting Member

I have a Gibson Les Paul Player Plus with Richlite. I also have a Traditional with a Rosewood board. Close my eyes and the playability and sound is nearly indistinguishable. If I’m completely honest, the Richlite has a more silky feel and plays a hint more effortlessly.

Maggot and DC1 like this.
  9. RJLII

RJLII Member

I’ve played a couple guitars with Richlite. They were nice. I prefer the ebony board on my LPC.