What's the verdict on Richlite fingerboards?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PLAYLOUD, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

How are you guys coming up with the $1000 number?

2. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

How much of a discount should there be for corian nuts? It's a countertop material. I don't know your scale, but I'd imagine that's gotta be at least $300 cheaper.

Dirty_Tones likes this.
  3. bluescube

bluescube Member

Here's how it's made into a fretboard

4. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    Well I did a search on fingerboards for sale and it looks like Richlite and Ebony are about the same.....and, in case you never purchased a fretboard, they are NOT expensive.

Most woods are about $20-$30 retail so a large company must be paying less than $15 (I'm being generous here....and we're talking just the board: no frets, not slotted).
    I saw Richlite for $15 so Gibson must be paying $10 or less.

So, Gibson should discount their guitars with Richlite by about $10.

I hope some people here feel much better. :rolleyes:

mrfett likes this.
  5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Yeah, but you're forgetting to adjust for arbitrariness, which makes it $1000. ;)

6. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

It's meant as a cost saving substitute, not an upgrade. I view it as such.

Bertiman likes this.
  7. bluescube

bluescube Member

The videos above show fabricating a fretboard and he pulls frets out for re-fretting

8. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

That was great!
    Thanks for posting it!

9. mrfett

mrfett Supporting Member

:roll:rotflmao

the comparison is between a regular 2 pickup Les Paul Custom and a '68 Reissue (both have maple tops, both have 2 humbuckers, both have MOP inlays). the big difference is that the regular one has a nashville bridge, modern weight relief and Richlite, while the reissue has an ABR bridge, solid body and ebony. in 2017 i think all the Reissues now are coming with a "wet-sanded" finish, meaning they don't use a buffing wheel at all so they can make the finish thinner. this adds additional labor apparently. the pickups in the two are different also.

both of these guitars are made in the Custom Shop in Nashville.

$4,799 for the regular
    $7,299 for the reissue

I will gladly eat crow now. had no idea the price gap had gotten so ridiculous. if this doesn't convince you guys of Gibson's completely insane pricing... :nuts

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Bertiman likes this.
  10. bluescube

bluescube Member

real world info from a real builder.

11. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

Make it $999.99 and we're good to go.

Jason_77 likes this.
  12. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

No doubt the pricing on their guitars is crazy!
    I simply will not and would not pay.
    I could have 2-3 guitars made out of all unobtanium and come with exceptional detail to setup, etc.

mrfett likes this.
  13. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

Your argument is like saying "Your hamburger is already 40% bun by volume so what do you care if they replace the meat with more bun?" Or to be a little less ridiculous; I like having vegetables on my burger so what do I care if they replace the meat with a veggie patty? They are different. It's not what I asked for.

The inlays being mother of toilet seat is ok because that's what I expect. The rosewood being replaced with synthetic material is not ok with me because I want wood there. It's that simple.

I'm glad lots of people love their Richlite boarded guitars. Like I said I'd be ok with it on a Parker Fly or some other modern guitar. I also chose a T over an HP Les Paul for the same reason I don't want one with a Richlite board. As for *why* I want a wood board, why do we want anything on our guitars? We have preferences. They are mostly not rational.

The arguments about ebony availability are baloney, Taylor has ebony and lots of builders are using ebony. I think it's more that Gibson and Martin don't want to be reliant on getting their ebony from Taylor (since Bob Taylor seems to have control of the only source of legal/sustainable ebony) and so they are moving to replace it with synthetic material in their lineup, at least partially.

Bertiman likes this.
  14. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

These statements seem contradictory.

Telechamp and Madguitrst like this.
  15. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

I get what you're saying but I disagree; he'll sell it to people. I think it's more that Martin and Gibson don't want to be reliant on Taylor rather than it not being available. The difference being a preference as opposed to it being expensive/unavailable right now.

16. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

No, sorry....talking out of both sides of your mouth doesn't seem to fly and Jason_77 just nailed you with your own words.

You make no sense whatsoever.
    Re-read what you just said. It = no sense.

17. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

Makes perfect sense to me. I thought my analogy explained it pretty well.

I am ok with the pickup rings being plastic because they're supposed to be. I'm ok with the inlays being plastic because I expect it. I'm ok with the knobs being plastic because I expect them to be.

It's really just my preference. I guess the bottom line is it doesn't need to make sense to you, it makes sense to me. :)

EDIT: Also, no need to get so personal my man. We're just talking about fingerboard material preferences. Maybe you need a chill pill. I don't think those are made out of plastic, though.

18. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

Yep, no one can debate your preferences.
    I do understand you, believe it or not (and definitely respect your preferences and point of view).

I would prefer ebony or other wood too, but I also have no problems with alternatives.
    I was working with the builder of my guitars on alternative woods back in 2010.
    I learned a lot, as did he (they, actually).

In all, I consider myself open minded and exploring the atypical.

If I weren't that way, I wouldn't own some of the guitars that I do (60+, fwiw).

Bottom line: to each their own. Live and let live. Don't preach to me and I won't preach to you. But if you do, I'll surely (as will so many others) poke holes in your personal theory.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  19. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

Hey I wasn't trying to preach. The thread asked what's everyone's opinion so I was sharing mine, that's it. Not trying to convince anyone. :)

Madguitrst likes this.