What's the verdict on the Decibel 11 Hot Stone Deluxe??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hippieboy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

It's been a couple of years since this PSU was released, what's the verdict now???. I haven't been able to find much in depth reviews by users and i'm very interested in buying one, the other option i have is the VL 4x4 but i've read several threads and forums that 4x4 seems to have some noise problems with a couple of pedals, specially when they are set directly above the 4x4 in your pedalboard.

I have a Pedaltrain Jr and this pedals:

1. Boss Ls-2
    2. Polytune mini 2
    3. Subdecay Octasynth
    4. Strymon Mobius
    5. Ep Booster
    6. Rockett Blue Note
    7. Wampler Velvet Fuzz
    8. Boss Ps-5
    9. Strymon El Capistan.

I'm mostly interested in any possible problems, hum, hiss or anything similar that the Decibel 11 may have or any other important details from day to day use. Thanks! :)

2. StratoTele

StratoTele Member

I've had mine since it came out. No problem with hiss. I love this power supply.

3. DR5Guy

DR5Guy Member

I have a smaller model (Hot Stone SN) and like it a lot. Problem and noise free, solid build.

4. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Have a Hotstone Deluxe powering a fully laden Pedaltrain1 including 2 Strymons. It is a FANTASTIC powersupply.

I started having trouble with my T-Rex Chameleon (humming) after a year or so but the Hot Stone has been flawless. The Chameleon also could not power the Strymons so I think their "300mA" rating per outlet is a joke.

5. DRGUN

DRGUN Member

Ive been using one for a couple months. Flawless operation and no complaints. Bought it from TGP member ElectricMojo who is a dealer and it was quick and easy.

6. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Thanks a lot, definitely sounds like a solid buy :) btw do any of you know if it fits in a pt jr???

7. GeoffP

GeoffP Member

I've tried a couple of hotstones including the 4 outlet high current one (HC) and the one that is most like a PP2 (the smd i think). I have sold them and now have a voodoo 4x4.
    I did like the hotstones, they seem to be well engineered and the price (in UK) was significantly less than voodoo equivalents. The power they provided was were perfect, no hum hiss or anything. However the hight current one did get very hot when running at less than at full power (2 eventides and a timeline). I did not really want to take another 400mA out of it for this reason.
    Both of them also leaked a little em noise. I had them mounted under a pedalboard and putting a high gain drive pedal on the board above them was not an option. The voodoo also does this but to a much less degree.
    So overall if you are pushing them to the limit i would go with voodoo unless money is an important consideration. I have the 4x4 running two eventides (space and H9) a timeline, a Boss RC30 and half a dozen low current pedals and it runs cool and perfectly. I love my 4x4! The PP2 seems overpriced and underpowered for todays high current pedals but the 4x4 is wonderful.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have had a hot stone deluxe for a few years. No complaints, works great, no noise. That said I am somone who can get by with godlyke poweralls. On my 2nd pedal board I am planning to go with a voodoo labels pp 4x4, has more power that I want and is made in the he USA.

9. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

So the hotstone was noisy for you and it gave you problems with a pedal on top? and you don't have any of those issues with the 4x4 is that correct?

10. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

any reason besides the extra power on why choosing the VL over another HotStone Deluxe?? btw did you had any problems with heat on the hot stone?

11. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Mine performs ably.

12. DRGUN

DRGUN Member

I have mine mounted on a PT JR and its perfect

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  13. Jimtherocker

Jimtherocker Member

I posted about mine 2 years ago.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=15252860&postcount=4

Since then, the only problem I’ve encountered is filling up all the taps so that if I get a new pedal I have to take another one off if I want to keep things isolated.

It does have a very faint hum when powered… not in the signal from the pedals but from the unit itself. Just that faint barely perceptible,”something in this room has electricity running through it” noise.

14. Class5

Class5 Member

I've been running one under a PT Jr. for ages with no problems. The setup includes running an El Cap and a Flint, and it handles it easily. I also have the smaller version on another 'board and again, no problems. I'm sold on this brand and can't recommend them highly enough

15. scott_killarney

scott_killarney Member

I just ordered one from Charles at Electric Mojo!

16. reo73

reo73 Member

I have a Hot Stone HC powering up 3 TC Nova pedals and an array of OD pedals and I perceive no hum what-so-ever. I have heard warnings of these things getting hot but I have only noticed what I would call a normal warmth in the unit. Very pleased with the unit.

17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have had no issues with the hot stone deluxe. Doesn't get too warm.

Just want the extra power of the vl 4x4 and a made in the USA unit.

18. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

My Hot Stone Deluxe doesn't get too hot either - but my Chameleon COOKED itself. I think I overstretched it by combining double outlets to power 2 Kingsleys pedals (500mA each) :)

19. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Excellent :) as soon as i get the money i'm gonna buy one!