What's the verdict on the new CE24s?

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't been able to see one in person. Those of you that have had your hands on one, what's the verdict?

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't care for it. Closer to an S2/SE than a core model IMO. I think the original CE's are fantastic guitars and would stick with those used.

standard24

Yeah... Used USA CE's are amazingly cheap. I'd get one and save $1200. (I this the originals are better guitars anyway.)

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I didn't care for it. Closer to an S2/SE than a core model IMO. I think the original CE's are fantastic guitars and would stick with those used.
I only picked one up for about 2 minutes a couple of days ago - but I agree. It felt more like an S2; actually I liked the S2 Standard 24 Satin I played a bit at a different store better - and the S2 Satin was a set neck for half the price.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I'd say it probably is closer to an S2. If you look at the specs on the PRS page, the Tuners and Bridge say "PRS Designed", the same as the S2's. On the core line it calls out "Phase III" and straight PRS Tremolo.

Not sure why they did it that way. The old CE's are pretty special guitars.

Lewguitar

So the new one is an import?

I had an older USA made CE24 that I loved everything about except the location of the neck pickup.

I prefer the deeper sound of a neck pickup where it's located on 22 fret PRS or Gibsons.

Can't do that on a 24 fret guitar because the 24th fret takes up the space where the neck pickup would be.

InkStained

It's made in the US.

The "problem" is that many people consider it an S2 model, but PRS does not present it as such. And it's not considered an authentic core model either.

It has S2 neck construction, but USA pickups (uncovered 85/15s, which are highly regarded.)

PRS tried to keep the price below $2K. That immediately makes it suspect for many.

So the new one is an import?

I had an older USA made CE24 that I loved everything about except the location of the neck pickup.

I prefer the deeper sound of a neck pickup where it's located on 22 fret PRS or Gibsons.

Can't do that on a 24 fret guitar because the 24th fret takes up the space where the neck pickup would be.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
It's made in the US.

The "problem" is that many people consider it an S2 model, but PRS does not present it as such. And it's not considered an authentic core model either.

It has S2 neck construction, but USA pickups (uncovered 85/15s, which are highly regarded.)

PRS tried to keep the price below $2K. That immediately makes it suspect for many.
No, the problem is it feels like an S2 model when you play it - actually the GC exclusive color S2 Standard Satin 24 I've played a couple of times was nicer. The one I picked up was blah; but then again so have about half the S2 models I've picked up, while the other half were really nice. I suspect another one might be nicer. But with the current specs I don't think it's a $2K guitar; it's a $1,500 guitar at best. And frankly the $1,500 new EBMM models, the Cutlass and StingRay, are better built, better playing and frankly nicer guitars. And I wanted to like this guitar; I still have good memories of the 1992 CE Maple Top I owned from 1992-1998. If PRS wants to make this a $2K guitar, put in the USA temolo, Phase III tuners, and ship it in a hard case but keep the S2 construction.

InkStained

No, the problem is it feels like an S2 model when you play it - actually the GC exclusive color S2 Standard Satin 24 I've played a couple of times was nicer. The one I picked up was blah; but then again so have about half the S2 models I've picked up, while the other half were really nice. I suspect another one might be nicer. But with the current specs I don't think it's a $2K guitar; it's a $1,500 guitar at best. And frankly the $1,500 new EBMM models, the Cutlass and StingRay, are better built, better playing and frankly nicer guitars. And I wanted to like this guitar; I still have good memories of the 1992 CE Maple Top I owned from 1992-1998. If PRS wants to make this a $2K guitar, put in the USA temolo, Phase III tuners, and ship it in a hard case but keep the S2 construction.

I hear what you say about the gig bag. If you buy a $2K guitar, you should get a hard case. That shouldn't even be a question.

Same deal with the S2 models for that matter. Even the semi-hollow S2 models come with the padded bags.

Honestly don't know what Paul is thinking when it comes to cases.

Whitecat

Novo Guitars (all $2200+) all include a gigbag by default. A hard case has to be special ordered. It's catching on...

InkStained

I'm confused. What does an S2 feel like?

hunter
Like a punch in the gut, according to the TGP. Worse than a private stock, core or even an SE.

It's awful, I tells ya.

These things are elusive. Sweetwater doesn't even have any in stock so you can see what they weigh.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I hear what you say about the gig bag. If you buy a $2K guitar, you should get a hard case. That shouldn't even be a question.

Same deal with the S2 models for that matter. Even the semi-hollow S2 models come with the padded bags.

Honestly don't know what Paul is thinking when it comes to cases.
To be fair, Suhr Classic Pros come with sift cases and nobody cousins about that either. I most of us probably have more hard-cases than we know what to do with. With that said, yes it should come with a hard case (as should the Suhr or any other guitar more than $1,200).

My biggest issue with the new CE-24's is the import hardware. For $2K I expect better hardware. And I love all three lines (and own examples from each) SE, S2 and Core.

I have a somewhat "rare" Maple fret-board '92 CE-24 in Refrigerator White (lol, that's the real color written in the pickup cavity) that Ive had since I bought when I was 19 in 1993. I love that guitar (though the gear ration in the tuners kind of sucks). I was really hoping for the new CE24 line to be awesome. And maybe they do play well. But again I can get an original CE24 in great condition, for half of what the new ones are. And no Import hardware. Seems like a no brainer....

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Not the same as old CE. Didn't like the feel and the one I tried had noisy pickups. Promptly sent it back to sweetwater. I really wanted to like it. I agree it felt like an S2 and honestly I prefer the SE's over the S2's.
The pickups are the best thing on it. the 85/15's are some of the best PU's PRS has ever made.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Do they have the large or small neck heel?
They have the same size neck heel as the current S2 CU24s and Core CU24s so it would be the "large" version of the 24-fret neck heel like every 24-fret PRS since about 1995. The neck is made like the S2 neck with the scarf joint headstock. If I'm remembering correctly the "large" neck heel on the 24-fret models was between 1/16" and 1/4" bigger than the "small" neck heel.

58flame

The large neck heel solved the CE's sustain problem of the 12th fret G string. Glad to hear they didn't go back to the original small heel.

Trending Topics