1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

what's the warmest sounding clean boost on the market?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by regotheamigo, Sep 27, 2005.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I want a clean boost that doesnt add any brightness when played. Basically just giving my amp more juice when soloing. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. DamianP

DamianP Member

My personal favourite is the Durham Electronics, Sex Drive.
    Does exactly what you describe.

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Klon Centaur.

With the gain control set to zero (counter clockwise) and tone control set to 12:00...absolutely no change to your tone whatsoever. Adjust the volume according to how much of a boost you'd like. A classic!

4. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty happy with my MXR MicroAmp.

It's not boutique, but it was reasonably priced and it is pretty damn transparent. One knob, no fuss.

I get better boost with it in the loop actually.

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Xotic RC, is the best one I've come acrossed.. I like the Klon also but it's too big..

6. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Time Machine Boost - Modern Side!

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'd actually recommend the green pedal from catalinbread's site. forget what it's called, but it's a modded super chile picoso.

www.catalinbread.com

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Why are people looking for a purpose built clean boost or an OD when you can use a compressor pedal set for minimal compression and get a very clean boost or a bit of compression which is quite useful for a boosted lead line if that is your app?

9. Den

Den Member

Tim or Timmy will do what you're looking for, with the added benefit of OD and great EQ if you're ever looking for that as well.

10. Tchello

Tchello Member

+1 for the Time Machine Boost, the modern side is one of the best.

11. theHoss

theHoss Member

I am really liking the ToadWorks Meat. It is versitile pedal as well. It has two independent circuits CLEAN/FAT that can be blended, or run independently. I use the clean for my LP, and I add some Fat for my Strat. It is a really nice pedal for $100. Although, if I had the $$ I would get a Time Machine Boost as well (I would keep the Meat). I really love the Modern side on the TMB.

$.02

12. MAZ

MAZ Member

Kinda what I'm thinking.... I mean, I want a KLON but I'm not going to pay $375 for something to just boost solos!!

For me, I want my clean boost to sound a little like something... either add highs, fatten the sound, etc.

To that end, the RC Booster is probably the "fattest" of the ones I've tried, but I use my Tim/Timmy for a semi-clean boost most of the times.

TO bump for solos, I use a different OD and just set that pedals vol. louder.

13. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

The modern side is the same as the Keeley Katana which is what I was going to suggest....just adds a fat juiciness to your existing tone without adding any gliss or brights.

14. eric-d

eric-d Member

I found the Micro Amp to ADD Treble when the dial is past 12 o'clock... I like the Fulltone Fat-Boost! It just makes everything sound bigger... That or the Klon.... :)

15. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

You should consider the Fulltone Fat Boost, in addition to all the other recommendations people have made. Also there's the Zvex SHO. I compared the SHO to the Fat Boost, which I happened to prefer. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Jeff

16. landru64

landru64 Member

the landgraff boost. it's way sweeter and (yet) more transparent than any of: sho, fat boost, RC, klon, mxr micro amp (this isn't even close to warm.... wtf?). john's approach is to pick parts that don't add harshness. he's very sensitive to that. the same quality exists in his DO and his wah. very sweet. even though it's warm, it doesn't turn the signal to mush when you switch it on.

17. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I can't find a url for Landgraff's stuff. Is there one? Are there certain dealers you recommend?

Thanks.

18. landru64

landru64 Member

Call John at 18503412310 or blues angel music in pensacola Fl.

19. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

SIB Fatdrive is the ultimate in clean warm boost. IT IS NOT AN OVERDRIVE PEDAL THOUGH, THE KLON IS. Use it to warm up your signal, push your amp harder for natural transparent un-colored overdrive or simply make your tone louder and warmer. If what your really need is a warm clean boost, I have found nothing better. Click link below for more details.

http://www.smfamps.com/fatdrive.htm

20. The Gainster

The Gainster Member