What’s the worst guitar tone you’ve heard on record?

GtrGeorge!

Ah....There are so many excellent candidates... truthfully it's an honor just to be nominated..
I think we just need a list. A Long List.

Guitarworks

Daryl Stuermer's tone in the 80s on all them Phil Collins albums. So thin and processed and nothin' but treble. His single notes sound like insects. His barre chords sound like something out of an 80s video game. I guess that's what Phil wanted at the time.

RickV

Todd Rundgren during his Utopia period. He’s an incredible musician with just awful tone. Thin and way over-processed for the most part.

BriSol

I absolutely hate this kind of trendy sound where the guitar sounds like it has no mids and a boosted attack, and a bunch of wammy pedal type of effects. It's sort of like directly hearing the tone of the strings on a guitar with 8's in a way, really percussive, thin, and clanky. And in the case of this Polyphia example, the guitar track in some ways is so based on studio effects and tap harmonic trickery that it doesn't sound like a natural guitar part.

Some of the modern extreme two handed tappers have a similar problem to this. Just a really hollow/midless and weak kind of clean tone. As much as I appriciate his talent, Stanley Jordan himself tends to have this issue. It sort of naturally comes with relying on tapping with a bone dry and overly thin clean sound. The notes can seem weak or choked out, more attack than sustain.

Last edited:

Doomrider78

I absolutely hate this kind of trendy sound where the guitar sounds like it has no mids and a boosted attack, and a bunch of wammy pedal type of effects. It's sort of like directly hearing the tone of the strings on a guitar with 8's in a way, really percussive, thin, and clanky. And in the case of this Polyphia example, the guitar track in some ways is so based on studio effects and tap harmonic trickery that it doesn't sound like a natural guitar part.

Some of the modern extreme two handed tappers have a similar problem to this. Just a really hollow/midless and weak kind of clean tone. As much as I appriciate his talent, Stanley Jordan himself tends to have this issue. It sort of naturally comes with relying on tapping with a bone dry and overly thin clean sound. The notes can seem weak or choked out, more attack than sustain.
That's a classic case of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Trending Topics