What's this guitar worth? Larivee with a top crack?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by TimH, Feb 10, 2015.

1. TimH

TimH Member

So I have the chance to pick up a Larivee EV-03e. It's got a crack on the top, along the grain, no bracing issues that I know of. I'm pretty sure it can be fixed.

What would a fair price for that guitar be? New they're 2K+

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Never heard of those.

Do you mean a Larrivée LV-03E?

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

If they are priced like that up there you are paying way too much!

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

It's a 3 series. Not worth a ton used in perfect condition. $1000 tops to count as a great deal. You can find them between $1,100 and $1,200 without no effort. New for $1,700, again with no effort.

With a non-repaired crack? I'd go $500 if I wanted to take a chance on one. But I don't, so I wouldn't.

5. TimH

TimH Member

:sarcasm

6. TimH

TimH Member

sigh... $1700*1.15=$1955 for simple exchange...and then the small market premium...yes, over $2K + 15% sales tax.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Take a trip down south, your countryman did! :aok :dude

For several years I had a LV-19 Special Vine Edition; a friend of mine has it now. Great guitar but I started wanting something a bit smaller and found it in a wonderful custom Martin, although I still may buy a Larrivée OM variant one day.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

To answer you original question, given what I could buy a custom LV-03E for new, I would guess a secondhand one with a crack in the top is worth no more than ~ $500-600ish?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  9. schwa

schwa Member

I would not buy a guitar with an un-repaired top crack. Or a repaired one (unless it was otherwise extraordinary).

Full disclosure - I had a guitar that had a top crack. It broke my heart and took 6+ months to resolve, but I had the guitar re-topped.

10. royd

royd Member

Go look at pre-war Martins and see how few there are without repaired cracks - often multiple ones. Nobody complains about them.

Especially if there are no issues with the braces, the repair is not difficult and the guitar will be stable and sound virtually no different than without the crack and repair. Of course there are cracks that also involve broken braces etc. that are larger issues. If all it needs is glue and a few cleats for a simple crack, the repair will likely be less than $200 and could be less than $100. That takes you down to about $800 - 900 for the value of the guitar...

BUT lots of folk are really afraid of guitars with repaired cracks (see above) so the value goes down even more on the market. Assuming there are no other issues, and I would check that out first, I would think the $500 or so mentioned above is a ballpark figure. Do check with some local repair folk to get a solid price on the repair. If there are other issues... subtract the cost of the additional repairs from the $500 figure.

So my thought is that it could be a good buy if the repair is as simple as gluing and cleating a small crack, there are no other issues, and the repair costs are reasonable where you live. Given all that, you can end up with a nice sounding/playing guitar for a very reasonable price. Realize that resale will be difficult and you could end up losing money vs. even your good deal price. Many folk might would expect that that guitar is only worth $500 AFTER having been repaired.

11. GermanCDN

GermanCDN Member

I picked up a used L-03 (not LV-03, but not that far off) last year with no structural issues for <$600 CDN, so the $500 tag for a cracked LV-03 is about right. There's a D-03 here in town with a cracked bridge for $550 that hasn't moved for about a year.

12. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Well the $500 figure came from us in the peanut gallery :bonk OP hasn't stated what the asking price is. I'm sure it's way above $500.

13. schwa

schwa Member

I think most folks would put pre-war Martins in the "otherwise extraordinary" pile...:drool

I don't disagree with your other points though - I suppose buying a cracked guitar could be an opportunity for a bargain.

Top cracks in an acoustic are a bit like Gibson headstock repairs. I actually have one, and I can't say the guitar is worse for it (except cosmetically). That said, I wouldn't be interested in a Gibson with an un-repaired headstock crack (unless otherwise extraordinary). ;)

Another challenge is accessing a good repairman. I'm fortunate to know a couple great guys now, but have been to more bad repairmen than good ones.

14. royd

royd Member

my point was that a crack isn't a death sentence for a guitar... but unless the instrument is "otherwise extraordinary," it can be for resale value.

Of course, if you could find that pre-war Martin with no cracks, the price would be astronomical :eeks

15. TimH

TimH Member

The background is this:

I have a Martin OM-16gt that cracked on the side for the second time...not to mention two back cracks (sigh...Canadian winters!!) and a friend of mine has offered me his LV-03e (with the top crack) and an Alvarez acoutic on trade for it. I will flip one of those to invest in some other gear or pay down a bill...

From my research is think I will likely have the Larrivee fixed and then sell it...I'll profit $600-800 buck on the deal I figure. The Alvarez will stay with me to handle cowboy strumming gigs.

16. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

Yikes. Winters are certainly brutal, my acoustics live in their cases with two Oasis humidifiers per case.

17. schwa

schwa Member

That's a lot of cracked guitars for one post.