• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What's this neck pickup (Clem Clemson)

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
Stumbled across this video of Humble Pie playing Honkey Tonk Woman in 1972. The neck pickup in Clem Clemson's Les Paul is apparently some sort of single coil P-90ish thing. I can't get a good look at the bridge pup to see whether it's a match.

See 1:55 here:
Here are some stills:

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Rick's right - that's a classic "staple head" neck pickup, stock on a late '55 or '56 LP Custom. Paired with a P-90 at the bridge. Some of them are amazing guitars, and they're one of my personal faves. Gibson started the first humbuckers in '57, they were 2 x P-90's from '52 to '55 ish, and staple head neck and P-90 bridge in late '55 - '56, more or less.

Sounds pretty damn good, huh?

Thanks, Dana O.

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
Rick's right - that's a classic "staple head" neck pickup, stock on a late '55 or '56 LP Custom. Paired with a P-90 at the bridge. Some of them are amazing guitars, and they're one of my personal faves. Gibson started the first humbuckers in '57, they were 2 x P-90's from '52 to '55 ish, and staple head neck and P-90 bridge in late '55 - '56, more or less.

Sounds pretty damn good, huh?

Thanks, Dana O.
Sounds good, but then it's Clem Clemson too. :)

From the link Rick supplied I can't really get a good look at the top of pickup. Were the pole pieces always as high as in Clemson video? Or is his missing a cover?

RickC

I owned one of these and the pole pieces on mine were not quite that high. I think it was a common thing for rock and rollers (like Clem) to crank them up for maximum output.

/rick

Trending Topics