what's this sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hoss, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Hoss

Hoss Member

i was wondering about my tech 21 tri-od pedal and in particular the "tweed" setting on it. for whatever reason it really makes my blues Jr. sound "bigger" and gives it a much deeper tone which i absolutely love. now i know there are pedals that will get me the distrotion and overdrive sounds of the "cali" and "british" settings, but what will give me that "bigger" more open sound like the "tweed" setting?! i mean is it just essentially working like a booster pedal...i'm at a loss as to how it's actually making it sound the way it does [​IMG] any ideas as to what's going on or as to what other pedals might get me this sound?

thanks,
    mike

2. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Dunno exactly, but I believe it has to do with the frequency/ equalization emphases of the simulation - a vintage bassman (I think... which it does indeed sound like). The Menatone Dirty Blonde functions similarly and creates the same effect, to my ears at least (and is the only pedal in my limited experience that simulates a pushed vintage Fender better than the Tri-O.D.). But I'm no expert - great pedal though...

3. Hoss

Hoss Member

menatone eh? i'll have to check it out! i figured that some kind of "tweed" pedal might be out there that would get me there or even improve it for that matter!

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

A Barber or big box Gainster will give you all the tweed you need.

5. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

I hear, but can't testify to having actual experience with it, the V-Stack Tweed pedal is excellent as well... cheers!

6. Hoss

Hoss Member

which barber...and who makes the big box gainster?

7. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The Barber Gainster (made by Barber Electronics) is the Gainster circuit in a smaller box with a few tweaks like a bass trimmer.

The Clark Gainster in the original big box is no longer made but still available if you look around.

I had both - though similar, they are not identical in what they do to your tone. The big box seemed slightly more organic, more amplike - though the big box was a bit unyielding. The Barber seemed more like a pedal -but- still had the tone. The bass trimmer on the Barber is a nice idea since the circuit adds tweed grain and boosts the upper mids which was interpreted to my ear as a drop in bass. The bass was still there but needed a boost for some applications.

Both are fine pedals.

8. Hoss

Hoss Member

ah...ok!

thanks for the tip...the barber stuff looks really good, i've been curious about the small fry for awhile too...it looks pretty versatile!?

thanks again,
    mike

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'll +1 the V-Stack Tweedy!

[​IMG]

10. pappafox

pappafox Member

I've read that the HAO Sole Pressure does a pretty good job of emulating tweed tones, though I have not tried one.

Jimbo

11. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Never tried it, but Snarling Dogs (are they even still in business?) had a pedal called Tweed E. Dog....

I like my Hellbaby booster for getting a fat and warm chunky-big sound like EC on From The Cradle, not sure if that's exactly what you want... maybe try a couple or few versatile boosts, as boosts make the sound bigger, usually. It hits the preamp in such a way that it hits the power amp harder, increasing sustain, singing quality, dynamics or tube "sag"... It is my favorite way to get OD, rather than juts present the amp with a distorted signal to make louder, as they work with your amp, pushing it a bit... There are lots of great boosters out there, you might try a time machine boost, as it is like four boosts built into one... check out http://www.tonefactor.com , they have a few pages of different boosts..

13. Hoss

Hoss Member

WoW guys...i really appreciate all the responses...from all the reading up on the pedals you all have suggested, it definitely appears you've pointed me in the right direction...:AOK :dude :dude :dude the Sol looks like it might be the ticket...now i just gotta find one to try out?!

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

V-Stack Tweedy.

Or get a tweed amp.....

Best, Pete.