What's up with ACME?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcshirke, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know what's up with ACME Guitar Works? I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone the past couple days. Just curious if anyone here had some info.

Thanks.

Jeff

2. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

They moved from Bear, DE to somewhere in FL recently.

I'm not sure if they are back up yet, but I do remember seeing something a couple of weeks ago saying they were delayed moving in to their new digs.

I know this because I'm moving to the next town over from Bear (Newark) in the next month or so and I was looking forward to going to their store...

3. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. I noticed they had moved, but I wasn't sure how recently that was. Maybe they are still in limbo.

Thanks for letting me know.

Jeff

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I dunno, that's been going on for weeks now. If your a "business", isn't it important to get you "business" back up and running asap, even after a move. No communication is a business killer, what's up with people these days.

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

I left a couple messages a couple weeks ago and ended up placing an order with Suhr directly. Bummer when you have no idea what's going on. Even just a quick message like "We're in the middle of a move and need to shut down for a while but we expect to be back up and running in ______ weeks"

Oh well....

Who am I to give business advice? :)

Chris

6. dave s

dave s Member

Similar service a couple of weeks ago.

1) Couldn't place an online order

2) Called left msg. No return calls

3) Finally got an online order placed

4) Goods shipped and received two days later

Apparently, if you can get an order to them, they pick, pack, ship and deliver VERY QUICKLY.

Keep trying. They worked out fine for me.

dave

7. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

I have been waiting 6 weeks for an order that their web site said should ship in 3-5 days. I've called three times and left a message asking for an update and e-mailed twice with the same request. I have heard nothing from them. I've always had quick replys from them in the past. I'm starting to get annoyed because my credit card was charged the day I placed the order. They took down the part of there message board where you could ask them questions also.

8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I bought some of their rocket powered roller skates and it through me right off a cliff into a canyon. Their anvils hurt a lot too.

[​IMG]

9. geetarman

geetarman Member

That sucks I'm sure there's something going on because George is a really great guy I've dealt with him several times in the past and he always came through with top notch timely work.

10. jamison162

I think they've pretty much gone down the crapper. I've heard from TONS of folks that have basically been written off it seems.

11. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

As I posted in another thread, my recent experience was this:

Placed an order for a pickup and a switch on March 7th. After a week had gone by, I e-mailed their order address and got an automated response. Called their phone number; it went to voice mail, which was full. Sent an e-mail on Wednesday of last week stating that if I didn't get an update by Friday I would open a claim with PayPal. Received no answer, so I did just that. Sunday afternoon I got a response from George, who apologized for the delay and let me know my order would ship out on Monday. By this point I had changed my mind and wanted to purchase a different (and slightly more expensive) pickup. He agreed, and did not ask me to pay the difference. My order should arrive today.

When all is said and done, the situation was resolved, and I harbor no ill will toward Acme. I can't say I'm happy that I felt I had to resort to teeth-pulling tactics to get to this point, nor do I think any business (particularly a small, specialty business like a guitar parts supplier) can afford to potentially alienate their customer base by not responding to e-mails. Harsh words, I guess, and I realize that it's difficult for a small operation to handle the volume that Acme probably does. Nevertheless, word travels fast these days, and it looks like Acme is going have to learn to deal with the sort of fallout that the above posts represent. Personally, I'll probably spend a bit more time looking elsewhere before making Acme my go-to choice again.

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

From their website, news section:

Acme Guitar Works relocation

For those of you who may not know, Acme relocated from Bear, Delaware to Vero Beach, Florida at the beginning of January. It's been a bumpy ride for us, and we regret that unforeseen delays associated with the move precluded a speedy and efficient return to normal operations. This has caused delays in shipping orders, and has made it impossible for us to keep up with recent correspondence.

The distance involved with the relocation dictated a complete shutdown of the business while it was moved. We naively thought that we'd be operational again by 1/7/08, but because of delays in obtaining permits for the buildout of our new space, and consequent delays in obtaining a certificate of occupancy, on 1/7/08 we weren't even allowed to occupy the new space yet. Luckily, an adjacent warehouse was vacant and we were allowed to unload Acme from the moving truck into it.

Once we were in the new space, on 1/9/08, there was much to do. The first order of business was to get the warehouse prepared, shelving erected, and inventory unpacked. At the same time we were working with contractors to install power, lighting, compressed air, and Ethernet cabling in the warehouse, which had not been included in the initial buildout. This was chaotic, as we worked around each other, and around piles of boxes (actually about 15 pallets of cartons). We began shipping orders soon after we moved in, but the process was inefficient at best, being compromised by the fact that we kept discovering that we needed things that were still packed, somewhere, in one of the boxes in our warehouse, or in the adjacent warehouse where we still had many items stored. Every day was like Christmas, as we would open a box and exclaim something like "oh, there's the extra bag of shelf clips I've been looking for!".

The most difficult part of this, perhaps, has been dealing with correspondence, and communicating with customers affected by our delays. In retrospect we've handled this poorly, and we apologize to those customers who were affected. We were so inundated with correspondence, both email and voicemail, and we were already so overwhelmed with just getting Acme set up again, and getting on top of orders, that we've been unable to keep up with the correspondence. It has all been logged, and all will be replied to, but our focus has been on getting Acme operational and shipping orders, to the exclusion of all else. If you've been affected by our lack of correspondence, then please accept our apologies.

One result of our lack of correspondence has been that a few people have been speculating on the Internet as to whether we've gone out of business, and perhaps even absconded with customers' payments. Rest assured that this isn't the case. In fact, at this time we're 98% back on our feet, and we've shipped roughly 300 orders since the move. We're looking forward to a productive future in our new location, which, despite the initial teething problems, we're confident will allow us to be more productive and customer-service oriented than ever before.

Where we are now

At this time, we're caught up on orders with the exception of prewired assemblies, and orders that had backordered items. One consequence of being completely shut down for several weeks was that when we turned on the computers, there were several hundred orders waiting. This is nothing for an Amazon or Walmart.com, of course, but for a small company like Acme it was a formidable stack of work, and much compounded by the fact that for the first week or two after we re-opened, we were unable to work efficiently, and of course new orders were coming in every day. During the initial picking of these orders, about one order in two had to be set aside to wait until something was located, or set up, before the order could ship.

But that's behind us now, and we're operating at nearly 100% efficiency at this time. We've got a backlog of prewired assemblies, but expect to be fully caught up with them within the next week or so. There were a couple of systems that weren't operational that precluded the processing of these orders initially, so they were picked and set aside to await the completion of these systems, but they are now our main focus and will be dealt with expediently.

So at the end of the day, we're back! Sorry if you've been affected by our move; we're keeping a spreadsheet of all affected customers, and once we're fully caught up we'll be contacting these people in an attempt to make amends for any inconvenience caused. Acme enjoys a fine reputation for dependability, quality, and customer service, and we certainly take these things seriously, and have every intention of continuing to provide them. We have new products coming in 2008 that we think will be of great interest to our customers, and are excited about our future prospects!

FWIW, I had a similar experience back in January. It took nearly a month (maybe a little longer) before I finally heard anything and susequently recieved my order.

13. jamison162

Trebor, that news/post is well over 30 days old and they are still treating customers in the same manner. Numerous complaints still pouring in?? I dunno....

14. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

They used to have a thread about it on their forum. They've removed that whole section of the forum?!? :eek:

Man I hope they bounce back as they were once one of the coolest shops around, but this has been too long to get your act together.

15. jda

jda Member

Hooo boy - the internet loves it when you stop answering email and sending out product. Look out.

16. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Define quickly. I waited for 2 caps and a string tree for 2 weeks before it actually shipped with an auto response email and no other way to contact them as their voice mail was full.