Whats up with all the iPad apps?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Spray14, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Spray14

Spray14 Member

Why are keyboard manufacturers making their instruments editable by iPad and not windows or android? This makes absolutely no sense as apple doesn't have the largest user pool by far. I wouldn't want to buy a $1500 set of keys and then have to shell out for an iPad too.
    I just don't get it. You're supposedly in business to make money and one way to do that is to have the largest potential pool of customers.
    Not only that but come on, it's 2018 and software has been being created for well over 3 decades now. You mean to tell me that Yamaha and Roland can't find somebody that knows anything but apple code?
    //Switch off rant
    Sheesh.
    James

johnkoz likes this.
  2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

What keyboards are those?

None of the ones that interest me require iPad app.

Modulator and kiki_90291 like this.
  3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

What synths are you referring to? I wish Roland did more iPad stuff - nothing they make is USB class compliant, so you can't hook any of their devices up to an iPad unless it has a "Generic" mode . . .

4. Spray14

Spray14 Member

5. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

As @GovernorSilver said - what keyboards are you referring too?
    Still - I imagine that the manufacturers go with what will sell
    the most keyboards. In your example I bet the tablet demographic
    is heavily slanted towards Apple.

sixesandsevens and OctalSocket like this.
  6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

He mentioned Yamaha, so I took a look at the Montage and breathed a sigh of relief. Also had to take a shower to get all the nervous sweat off at the thought of the Montage requiring an iPad to work..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Montage6

7. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Tablets are a great format for this sort of thing - small, touch screen, not tethered to a desktop - and I pads are the market leaders for tablets.

I don't use the I pad as a controller die hardware synths but the Streetly Mellotron app is one of my most used keyboards and it's opened my eyes to what those little things can do - I was all set to buy at one of the Mellotron Micros when they came out but the I Pad app pretty much covers me for everything I want to do for less than a tenth of the cost.

8. Spray14

Spray14 Member

Add to that Kawai Virtual Technition and Sound Museum both for iOS and not other OSes. Havent been able to find any windows or android replacements either.
    So all I was saying is that its real frustrating to be looking into getting a keyboard and fonding out you need a d@mn iPad to have full functionality.
    As I keep looking Im sure they'll be more examples.
    I started noticing this a few weeks ago and I was hoping I had missed something. But .... Oh well.
    I have been looking for a decent portable 88 key rig (73 if not) and don't wanna kill my bank account.
    I'll keep looking.
    Thanks all.
    James

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. OctalSocket

OctalSocket Member

If you’re looking for the real reason, it’s that android sucks for midi and audio implementation compared to iOS and OS X. The amount of operating system fragmentation across the various android versions makes consistent performance hard to achieve.

Most of these companies don’t have the resources to develope that heavily, and iOS makes it much easier on them.

middy, MoPho and Toowoombaus like this.
  11. Spray14

Spray14 Member

OctalSocket
    Thanks. That reply I can understand.
    And it makes sense.
    James

OctalSocket likes this.
  12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

You're right about the Roland VR. There might be some kind of Windows editor/librarian for them, but not officially from Roland.

Looks like the Yamaha apps were created for Motif XF, which recently went out of production. The ads for the MOX line mention Windows software. Didn't look too closely at the Montage because that's in a different price range (over $2500).

13. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

The iOS market is smaller but users actually spend more money on apps. Other platforms are mostly filled with cheapskates looking for freeware. That’s why a lot of services roll out on iOS first or only.

middy, sixesandsevens and FusionRock like this.
  14. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

If you were looking at the Roland VR series for the Hammond organ emulation aspect, check out the Crumar Mojo line. The picky old dudes who are always chasing a non-back breaking alternative to a real B3+Leslie rig seem to like the Mojo.

15. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Ithink korg Galileo is ipad only. Acoustic samples B5 ? There are a bunch. I was forced to get an ipad to use a UA Ox so now im in for the ios stuff but i agree with the OP.

16. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Galileo is made by Yonac, not Korg.

Anyway, the OP seemed pissed about Roland VR keyboards not having an Android app, so I suggested the Mojo as an alternative. The clonewheel crowd seems to like it a lot more than the Rolands anyway.

17. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

I’ve got a m400 and I found myself playing with the Streetly App the other day for about an hour before I suddenly thought “ this is ridiculous I’ve got a real one in the next room with 5 tape cartridges “

Jayyj likes this.
  18. Spray14

Spray14 Member

Not really pissed. Just kinda perplexed. I work in a corporation and Im still not used to how highly educated people function.
    Went with a Juno DS 88. Figure it'll be a while before I run out of explorations on it. Also it has an editor for windows. So I have that if and when I need it.

I also noticed that there are a couple of private work arounds for the VR and some of the other keyboards.
    Was interested in the VR cause it looked like it had mostly usable sounds for live use, not a thousand settings to wade through. The live tweakability looked nice also. Still may pick one up later for a "1 board" rig.

James