What's up with Harmonic Design not taking phone calls....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I emailed and mentioned I heard about them on TGP and would like to get in touch with Scott to discuss some pickups. They declined. I don't get folks who'll email back and forth but are "too busy" to talk to a potential customer. I think a one-on-one would get to the point and be better for both parties. Email could go back and forth and there is more a chance of miscommunication and uncertainty can result. I'de rather get down to business and be done with it.

I was going to purchase some speakers from a dealer here on TGP, we emailed back and forth a few times and when I asked for a contact number, he was too busy for a phone call and never got my business.

What's with that?

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I had the same thing happen on a recent trade here. It didn't go down. Weird.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I love the HD pickups, but they get lousy CS points from me...

4. Curly

Curly Member

honestly, I wouldn't take his response personally

if you really want his pickups, and he prefers emails, just give it a try. If you really can't work it out to your satisfaction, then move on.

he's not the first maker who prefers not to take phone calls, and there are a number of those who say so on their site.

I work for a small engineering firm. We pride ourselves on our communication and quick response time. The owner is also the chief engineer, and takes A LOT of calls. He uses a headset for convenience.
    However, there are times when we have to deal with deadlines, and just take messages. I think we are the exception though. We have quite a few consultants who are hard to reach or just poor at communicating.

No biggie. People have to decide for themselves how best to run their own business.

5. Joses

Joses Member

i almost got a set of Z-90s to put into my EBMM Sub1...the difference maker was that the firm in topic took about 2-3 months to answer all my queries (a total of 6 emails were sent over that 2-3 month period, mind you - i replied on my side the moment i received their emails).

i searched for alternatives, found another firm in the boutique pickup industry, communicated my needs & desires (exchanged maybe 10-12 emails over a 2 day period) and needless to say...that's where my business went.

i'd still love to try Z-90s one day...i really would

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I had excellent email communication with HD and ended up with a set of Z-90s. And they're fantastic. So... I can sympathize with your position, but these guys know what they're doing. Really great pickups.

M

7. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

BAck in 2001 when I got my Tele Super 90 I'd get email responses the same day from them, even a return phone call. Wonder what happened.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I see their points. There are so many tire kickers or folks that just want to bs. When you run a small business, you just don't have the time. How many times has a guy like Scott spend 45 mins on the phone with someone only to have them disappear without buying anything?

9. muddy

muddy Member

he replies to me almost right away, AND he's given me quite detailed answers when i've needed them. he's actually a very nice guy. and his pups are awesome.

ml

10. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

When I ordered my vintage plus tele set in sept of '05 I had nearly immediate e-mail responses from Scott and they were pretty detailed from the pretty vague inquiry I sent.

He was pretty spot-on about manufacture/delivery time too and didn't charge my card until the pickups were shipped.

I also think this was right about when he was getting over an accident too.

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I think many people prefer to use email as they can better control it. They can set asside the 2 or 3 or 4 or however many hours it takes a day to answer all the emails. The phone is a constant interuption and if they are always stopping what they are doing to answer it, they'll never get anything done. Actually I think there is a better chance of miscommunication over the phone than with email unless you're recording your conversation. Email has a trail you can refer back to, a phone coversation (unless it's recorded) doesn't.

12. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

I work in a large high technology company. The people here fall into two broad categories: technology people (engineers) and people people (salesmen). There are a lot of engineers who I would never allow to talk to our customers. Why? Because they're not people people. They don't want to schmooze or answer questions and hold the customer's hand. They're impatient and they don't enjoy customer contact ...and it shows. In a large company, you can afford to lock these guys away in a lab and let them do what they do best; and you can afford to hire people people to do what they do best.

The problem with a lot of these small guitar aftermarket manufacturers is that they're one man operations. There's only one employee, and he has to be everything; engineer, salesman, accountant, and CEO. Sometimes he's really good at the engineering and really bad at the customer service (Mike Fuller comes to mind). I think that if you're going to do business with these guys, you just have to cut them some slack. If you know what you want, just deal with them and don't expect the red carpet treatment. If you want great customer service, then maybe you have to take your business elsewhere (after all, some guys are good at both the technical and the interpersonal). But if you want that particular product, maybe you just have to accept a few idiosyncrasies and try to make the best of it. It's the "Soup Nazi" phenomenon. The choice is yours.

13. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Did Office Space spring into anyone else's mind? "What the hell is the matter with you people! I have people skills!"