What´s up with Menatone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rabbit, Sep 22, 2006.

1. rabbit

rabbit Member

A recent post of mine reminded me that I haven´t heard much from Brian and his stuff lately. I like his products very much and wonder whether he is going to produce all of his older pedals again, but in the new design...?

Can anyone offer info on that? Thanks

2. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I think his older pedals are still in production; Musictoyz recently received a couple of KarKrash pedals.

3. rabbit

rabbit Member

Thanks Telecaster!

Maybe those are the last stock ones Brian had, since the Musictoys page says they are no longer made
    http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/mena.php
    but maybe the page is not up to date. What about the other big box ones (Howie, KOTB, etc.)?

4. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

I've been wanting to try a Top Boost in a Can forever (the 6-knob version), but can't find anybody that has one. Anybody happen to know if there's someplace under the radar that has one in stock?

5. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

6. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out.

7. Ken

Ken Member

Why are there no more KarKrash pedals being made??

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I need a karkrash god darn it!!! seriously whats up with them?

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I loved the way those old style pedals looked, though I've never tried one out. I don't care for the look of the new pedals. Call me superficial.

10. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I understand he will not be making all of his old pedals in the new design. The KOTB is one of the casulties.

I bought a new Blue Collar and a Foxy Brown from Pedal Geek and both are excellent.

11. rabbit

rabbit Member

Damn, the KOTB was one of those I wanted to try. Now it´s getting even harder to find one.

RIP discontinued pedals and thanks for all the replies!

12. Medication

Medication Member

I really dig the Red Snapper and Kar Krash. Really great overdrives. IMO, the Snapper is the best Screamer-killer I've heard.

Brewmaster-What do you think of the Foxy Brown?

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'll never sell my Blue Collar. Super pedal, and I don't even really like pedals much.

I've posted it before: Brian Mena is the first pedal builder who got my ears' attention, followed by Mike Fuller, and then Bjorn Juhl. Now there are some others too.

Pretty soon I'm not gonna be able to say, "I'm not really a pedal guy" anymore ......

Brian, best of luck to you wherever you are, and whatever you're doing.

Dana O

14. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I've used one of the first version Red Snappers for over 3 years. It's my favorite overdrive ever. I would really miss that pedal.

15. He IS gonna be moving up to Idaho, he's just been super busy.
    I talked with him on the phone a few weeks ago.
    The King Of The Britains isnt being discontinued, it's just getting a new design like the other pedals.
    I have the new Red Snapper, it's fantastic, my favorite overdrive. He said that sometime this winter he will be bringing out a new version of the Howie pedal.
    Apparently the new version is gonna have BOTH channels of the Overdrive Special in it, as well as two different EQ toggles.......one with the early ODS EQ and one with the later "Skyliner" EQ.
    Cant wait to see/hear it .........

Luke

16. rabbit

rabbit Member

Luke,

you saved my day! Thanks. Cool info. Happy RS user here as well.

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

My favorite OD for a little while now has been the Fish Factory, which was a casualty....

Long live the Fish Factory....

18. drolling

drolling Member

Last year when I was in the thick of my massive overdrive shootout, I decided I needed a Dirty Blonde (the pedal, guys, the pedal..) and Brian directed me to his many retailers, who ALL seemed to be very low in Menatone stock..

I finally found a store that claimed to have one, but jerked me around for months till I had to get my CC to do a charge-back.. Lost about $20 in fees & exchange rates beteen US & Canadian currencies. I let Brian know about the situation, but never heard back - While I realize he had no direct involvement in my experience, the whole thing kinda soured me on Menatone, altho' it soured me on the store in question a whole lot more.

Got way too many pedals, anyway..

19. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Huge Menatone fan here. Yes he is difficult to get hold of but he makes the best ODs I've heard! I have the Dirty Blonde as well as Working Man's Blue (plus a few others!) and they are amazing. The WMB is clear, full, rich, complex - everything you want to throw at it sounds fab. Still my fave low-gain OD, although Timmy is getting very close.

20. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I like it, alot. It really doesn't sound like an 18 watter, at least not like my 18 watter, BUT it gives a very marshallesque/british OD to distortion. It spits and gets pretty hairy with the gain turned up. Very usefull tones at bedroom levels and better when turned up.
    A good friend of mine doesn't like it because it is "ratty" sounding to him. He also doesn't like the Maz 38 Sr for the same reason so if you are familiar with that tone, (Buddy Whittington for one), it gives you an idea of where he is coming from.
    It is a very unique sounding pedal IMHO.