What's up with people who don't play guitar NOT consulting your advice?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by waylay00, Dec 17, 2009.

1. waylay00

waylay00 Member

OK, this is a minor thing that bugs me, but it bugs me nonetheless. I don't claim to be an all-knowing encyclopedia about guitar gear, but I do know enough that I can advise people on what to buy when starting out, or simply for their budget, given their tastes, goals, etc... (just as I'm sure many on here could do too).

But first, imagine this hypothetical situation. You want to get into competitive kite racing. You don't have the faintest clue about kites, but your friend loves it and it's his main hobby. Instead of buying a new kite blindly (and potentially wasting hundred of dollars), you would ask your friend first right?

Anyways, I have a wealthy friend whose sibling is just starting to play. Now keep in mind that the friend obviously knows that I play. Well, the other day, he comes in and explains how he just bought his brother this guitar and that amp, totaling more than $5000. Everything brand new of course. And no, none of it was boutique. I sit there and kind of laugh, because I knew that for that money, he could have gotten an arguably higher quality and rewarding setup. Or he could have simply spent more wisely and saved some money. Of course though, nothing could be done at that point, so I just rolled my eyes (to myself) and moved on.

The thing is, is that this has happened more than once with various people I know. I don't know, but I guess I find it somewhat arrogant to ignore the advice of a friend whose life practically revolves around a given hobby.

2. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I went to pick up my son from piano lessons yesterday and a mom was buying her kid a new guitar and amp. The salesman was giving her such a line of crap and charging her full price that I had difficulty not saying anything. A little research is a good thing.

3. Tuco

Tuco Member

Consider yourself lucky. I have a friend who, whenever he's in the market for a new tech gadget like a computer or HDTV, calls me and wants to talk specs for hours!!! I try to be as helpful as I can, but after a while, I just want to scream.

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

People ask me gear advice/opinion all the time. Beginners and seasoned folks.

5. heavypick

heavypick Member

Ok, here we go (no joke). Got a 9-year old student who is pretty good, looking for a guitar upgrade (from a cheap Ibanez GIO or something). I guess his budget is $350-700. What to get?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  6. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

I only tell people that I play guitar just in case one of their relatives has a '54 Strat, a 52 Blackguard, or a '59 Burst in the attic.

7. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Depends on what he wants to play. I would tend to lean toward a PRS SE.

8. shane88

shane88 Member

:crazyguy that's a good idea

but to OP > rich peeps don't care about such things in fact they are prone to go into a store and ask for the most expensive thing ..... this dude prob spends $5k on lunch so ..... anyway it could be the kid will never play the thing - it'll just be more stuff to have ....

there's a lot of cashed up asian students in sydney (because a big oz export racket is selling university places to foreigners) and they buy heaps of top end (always american) gear and they mostly can't play much .... but if it has gibson or fender written on they will buy it

9. heavypick

heavypick Member

That sounds good, probably better than an Epiphone. What about those cheaper Parkers?

10. Randy

Randy Member

Fixed - commas are important sometimes...

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

Sometimes **** happens and people make stupid choices. But I'd personally wonder if they found something about me and my opinions distasteful. I wouldn't dwell on it, necessarily, but I'd just consider whether I've been too forward with offering my opinions in the past and maybe that's why someone close to me wouldn't ask my opinion about something they know I have a lot of knowledge and experience with. Or, like has been said, sometimes people want to do things their way and learn from their own mistakes, and that's no reflection on me. That failing, see my first sentence.

12. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

That's funny! I thought he was meaning the kid was good looking....:stir

13. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

People are always asking me to give them lessons. I can't imagine why they'd want to do everything the wrong way. :facepalm

14. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

Maybe he picks up on attitude.

15. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Just to reiterate.

16. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

My brother in law did that to me when he "wanted to learn how to play guitar". His first guitar was a Taylor 810. We went to GC together to "pick out" an acoustic for him and I picked out and played several mid priced guitars for him to hear and gave him my opinions. He said he had a lot of thinking to do and we left.

He calls me later in the day all excited telling me he went back and bought the Taylor (it wasn't one of the guitars we even looked at!) because he liked how it looked. It kills me to see that guitar sitting out on a stand covered in dust since he never plays it or keeps it in the case with a humidifier.

-R.

17. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Supporting Member

Maybe his brother already knew what he wanted?

18. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Some people just like to figure things out themselves. Maybe he checked out TGP and saw how much consensus there is among these learned forumites.

19. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

It's amazing what you see in music stores sometimes. I remember seeing a father buy his son a $3500 Tom Anderson one night - no joke. The guy obviously had money and wanted to buy the best I imagine. The kid could barely play and was just thrashing around on this beautiful guitar.

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't know why people don't just consult me on everything.

Kinda bugs me...but what the hell...