• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Whats Up with "the Devil Voice"?

Roadeye

Anyone else notice that for the past 10 years or so, most male rock singers have to sing in this voice that sounds like the devil (or the cookie monster)?

Whatever happened to a ballsy voice with original tone?

rob2001

I notice an effect thats being used in current pop rock. It sounds like a lower octave added. But thats different from the laughable "gutoral" vocals on display in a lot of new metal.

sixty2strat

funny always thought satan would have a soothing calm voice like bobby D in angel heart....not sound like cookie monster

geetarboy

Yeah, I just can't listen to it. The only band with cookie monster vocals i can listen to is Opeth. He only does it half the time and the music is so great that I can live with it.

Stew

I watched a vocal instruction video and part of it talked about how to 'sing' like that without ripping up your vocal cords. It showed some guys practicing making those noises. It was funny. It cracked me up.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
i think it`s supposed to scare you ...like your daddy yelling at you when you were 4 years old

guitgator

nothing more genuine than singing like your life is ending then cashing a big check and getting on the custom-designed Prevost as you head to the next town.

twinrider1

I don't know. I like metal. But the cookie monster vocals have just killed it for me. Just have to keep listening to the old stuff.

Its friggin awful! I bought a Hawthorne Heights CD at Circuit City for $2.80 and it wasnt even worth that. The Cookie Monster voice is just plain stupid.

Bankston

I'm not a big fan of the cookie monster vocals but I love the way Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage does it. And he can singing melodically as well.

Yeah, I just can't listen to it. The only band with cookie monster vocals i can listen to is Opeth. He only does it half the time and the music is so great that I can live with it.
I feel the same way. Part of that is Mikael Akerfeldt's sweet "normal" voice. One of the most powerful, emotional singers I've heard.

Polynitro

Its hard to pull off, sometimes it fits the context... makes no sense for a Black Metal band to sing like Tiny Tim for example.

Its hard to pull off, sometimes it fits the context... makes no sense for a Black Metal band to sing like Tiny Tim for example.
Well, with bands that have names like Cannibal Corpse, I certainly don't expect Tiny Tim. A lot of the screamo stuff just sounds really badly over the top. As far as black/doom metal bands go I far prefer growlers like Tom Araya.

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
As with all genres of music, there becomes a "typical" voice to characterize that style. The GREAT singers are the ones who maybe fit the mold of "rock singer", "metal singer", "blues/gospel singer", etc, but have an unique quality to their voice.

The ones I love, who I can always tell who they are by their unique voice, are Peter Gabriel, Peter Steele, Geoff Tate, David Coverdale, Phil Collins, Jeff Buckley, and YES, even some of the cookie monster types of vocalists from the bands Killswitch Engage, Demonhunter, In This Moment, and other hardcore/nu-metal bands.

I love the ability in a vocalist to display a unique voice, and the ability to convey emotion through a range of operatic/bluesy/scream-core styles.

Yes, it does suck when I watch Headbanger's Ball (on rare occasion,) and EVERY heavy band has a vocalist who just grunts or screams.

If anyone wants to hear what a truly spectacular example of a singer who can SING, scream, and everything in between, check out the following link... and PLEASE listen to the whole song to see that there CAN BE worthwhile "cookie monster music":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrNh6Y9Sw0&feature=related

Hopefully, someone will enjoy this.

If not, that's OK. We all love music here, just different stuff.

:)

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
I actually thought of something kind of funny--

The first time I heard of "cookie monster vocals" was in an interview with Dave Mustaine in Guitar World, maybe 15 years ago.

He (Mustaine,) was talking about how the "new crop" of metal had no singing talent... I think he was talking about the band Testament, and said how he couldn't believe how anyone could like their singing, "C is for cookie!! Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!!!"

I thought 2 things immediately after reading that:

1, though I like some Megadeth songs (and the fact that Dave has turned a new spiritual leaf,) he really is NOT a good singer.

And,

2, Testament at that time was definitely NOT a cookie monster band, Napalm Death was... Plus, Testament's singer sounded much more like James Hetfield than a cranky demon/maniacal baked goods eater.

Trending Topics