What's up with the Epiphone Valve Master head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Jul 24, 2006.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I have one on order now. $100 is a hell of a price, but is it worth it? Anyone who owns one or has played one, please chime in.

Thanks,

IPH

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have the Combo, one of the newer non humming models, but i played both the head and the combo before opting for the combo for size reasons (head
    + Cab too big wanted/needed a small combo) Anyway you are not going to find a better new tube amp for under ~500 dollars than the valve junior, it sounds preat and is super simple. Yes there are amps that are better but not for the price so to all you nay sayers, get off it, of course a victoria or other small "boutique" amp sounds better, and it should becasue it costs 10 times as much.

Also they are supposedly easy to mod and improve thier sound, there are many web sites devoted to it, i liked my combo out of the box, that is why i bought it, so i have not moded it.

They are louder than you might expect as well, that is the only downside i wanted a small combo for apartment use, but it is too loud by the time you get that sweet overdirve.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Try a search, there have been a few threads here about the valve jr.

I changed a few resistors in mine. FWIW, It gets used quite a bit here, and I own some really great sounding amps.

4. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

I have the head and its all stock with the exception of some NOS russian military EL84s. Make sure you let the amp warm up about 15-20 minutes before playing. I made the mistake of not doing that a few times and forgetting how great this amp sounds even stock. Can't do better for the price.

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Two words.."Peavey Classic"

6. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Thanks guys. I can't wait till I try mine through my Marshall 1x12 with 20 watt celestion and my Avatar 2x12 with Vox Blues.

IPH

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have a Delta Blues and yes it sounds good, they are both good but the delta blues wieghs 53 pounds and the peavey classic 30 is at least 40 lbs, Plus the valve junior allows you to get power tube breakup at a reasonalbe volume and is still a 1/3 the cost of those amps.

8. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

:confused:
    It takes the tubes maybe two minutes to warm up in a tube amp... what possible benefit could be gained by running it for 20 minutes before playing through it??
    :confused:

9. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Gives the meds a chance to kick in! :roll

10. fyler

fyler Member

i like mine. i bought it to replace a Fargen Bastage. honestly, i think they are pretty close, tone wise. obviously, the Fargen is hand built, so it's probably more reliable & definitely uses higher quality parts...but for my low volume amp needs the Valve Jr. is just as good.

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It can take that long for an amp to reach the proper bias.

12. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

You are f#$%#$ing hilarious. If you do a search for Epiphone Valve Jr. you will see other people saying the exact same thing about leaving it on for a while. That's why I gave it a shot. Have you? I am a player and I really don't know why that is the case--all I know is I tried it and I found it makes a big difference.

What was the point of your joke? It only defeats the use of this forum by discouraging people from sharing information?

13. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Thanks.

14. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Sorry to offend you with my humor, coldn't resist a set up like that. I didn't know humor was outlawed here.:jo

Actually I have that amp head and think it's the best $100. I ever spent besides my Supro Thunderbolt back in the day.:)

15. leetamm

leetamm Member

I've had the head version for about a month or so. I'm playing it through a custom-made 2x12 with vintage alnico Utah speakers. My guitar is an ESP LTD EC-1000 with Seymour Duncan pups - JB in the bridge, and 59 in the neck. I switched the original tubes for NOS, which really added a lot of richness to the amp.

I really like this amp. After some experimentation I've found my favorite setting is to dime the volume and play it like a 2-channel amp. That is, I keep the volume pot on the neck pup turned way down and use it for cleans, while using the bridge for dirty along with a Bad Monkey OD pedal set for a "clean" boost. This configuration works really well for me. I absolutely love the clean sounds I get this way. Very very warm and throaty. The overdrive sound with the Bad Monkey is pretty heavy. Gain-wise it kinda reminds me of Weezer or Offspring. Tone-wise I'm not sure who it reminds me of. It seems to have a voice of its own.

My only complaint is that the amp's natural overdrive has a "farty" quality to my ears. The Bad Monkey dresses it up well, but that "farty" quality is still a little discernable to me.

When cranked, this amp is definitely not a bedroom or apartment amp by the way, but it's still a good way to get cranked tube sound at a somewhat reasonable volume. I'm not in a band, but I imagine you could gig it with a mike in front of it.

16. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

That wasn't humor and nothing is outlawed.
    Plus I wasn't offended . . . but I was bitch slapped.:horse

Seriously, you can do whatever you want but I think its smarter to share information rather than beat people up for their ideas, even if you think its just a joke. Doesn't it make sense that the more people are criticized for sharing info the less they will share it?

17. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

Wow, there seems to be some sensitivity here. I thought the comment was funny and not intended to be malicious, but then again, I also thought it may be a little apt. I tried out one of the combo versions when they came out and was unimpressed, but that's just me. Maybe they improved or I heard a lemon, but I thought it was a ratty sounding, buzzy, shrill jumble of future landfill. But it seems I'm in the minority on that.

As a new person here, I'm a bit struck by the amp section so far. It seems people are either gaga for these amps or head for the high-end boutiques. I wonder if someone with a Pro Jr., SF Champ or Crate V-series would be considered a schmuck who could have gotten a pair of Epis for the price (or put about 10% down on a /13 or Two Rock).

18. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I also tried the combo and felt the same way, but the head is supposed to be a slightly different circuit and like I said, it's ONE HUNDRED BUCKS!! I spend more than that at the bar on a Saturday night......:p

I'll give a full report when mine arrives..

IPH

19. pepi

pepi Member

[​IMG]

You guys that think the amp sound fizzy/farty try these mods.

R1 - 1 meg
    R6 - short this out of the circuit. This is nothing but a tone sucking resistor
    R7 - 100k
    R8 - 1K
    C4 - 3.3uf

Listen to it come to life :dude

20. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Nah, not really sensitivity. Just making a point and being a little cheeky at the same time. That's one of the problems with writing instead of talking--there's no real tone so often times things seem more intense than they really are! Anyway, I agree with your comment--I was unimpressed with the amp too. But then when I followed the advice of some folks on this board--the crazy "leave-it-on-for-twenty-minutes" method--and now I am digging it.