What's up with the price of the Eternity!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneRanger, Dec 25, 2005.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Hello and merry Christmas to all!

My Christmas went to ruins (well, not really) when I checked out Lovepedals website yesterday and noticed that Eternitys price has gone up, again! It's 289 $ now, it was 229 $ about a month ago, so the price
    has gone up over 26 % in about a month.

I know the law of supply and demand and so on, and I also think that whoever produces a good product should get rewards for doing so but I think this is just too much. If the demand is too high why just not put a stop to it for a while rather than cash in for the christmas?

What does it cost to produce such a pedal anyway? I think that 200 $ is about the highest reasonable price for such products and even that is a hell of alot money when you think what you're getting material-wise and work-wise. Compare it to a high end production guitar, like the American Vintage Fender line, where you're getting a high quality instrument for like 1300 $. And shouldn't the big companies like Fender and Gibson and such be the bad boys, the big capitalist rip-offs of music industry? I think the Timmy with the 100 $ price tag puts things in to perspective a bit.

Sorry about all the emotion, but I've just been jonesing for the Eternity for so long and now I'm kicking myself for not buying it earlier.. I just think that 26 % price increase is not right.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Jeez,

What a joke! I'd like to know if the price of the components has gone up or is this just pure capitalism at work? Or is there some other reason?

I guess I won't be getting an E either. I'd rather get a Tim, a Timmy and a dozen 9V batteries...

What a shame! :(

3. rewog

rewog Member

The Eternity has been $259 for several months at least, so the actual increase is around 10%.
    I bought one 2 months ago for $259. With shipping to Australia, and the conversion, it owes nearly $400 Australian.
    Was it worth it ?
    Well I just bought a second one !

It's a bit like the CJOD discussion I guess. Supply and demand.
    If Sean stopped making pedals tomorrow, I think you would see people paying crazy prices for his stuff.

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Well, I remember noticing the E for the first time on Lovepedals website for maybe 2 months ago and then it was 229 $. I could be wrong though but even a 10 % increase in price is A LOT!

I think the CJOD comparison doesn't quite fit. Wasn't that pedal like 50 pedal limited run and the prices are going crazy on the aftermarket? IMO that's totally different thing. Normally when there's demand for a product and company starts selling more, the prices go down cause the overall costs diminish in relation with the costs to produce the product. Ofcourse the whole boutique market is a bit different with all these dudes making pedals alone. But what about Paul C, he's just taking his time and keeping the price down. How does a huge wait list legitimize a giant price increase? So only the ones who really want the product and pay an insane price are getting one?

The other possibility is to hire people to help out. Surely there's a lot skilled people that could help and the business would surely be good. What if Leo Fender had done it all by himself (which he couldnt, I know it, but this is just an example) and increased the prices when the demand went up? It's funny to see how Fulltone has become evil itself no that the business is doing quite good (I don't any fulltone stuff, just a mention).

Of course it's different on the aftermarket, when the product is no longer in production. Then it's totally up to whoever's buying or selling to determine the price, and everything is "right". But when something is offered as an ongoing business I think there should be at least some morale to it.

Question: What if Fender all of a sudden increased prices by 10 or 25 % just because the demand is high? All hell would break loose.

I think it just doens't work that way. I'm sorry if I'm getting all worked up here, that's not my intention.. I'm just suffering bad GAS for the E and this doesnt help at all, knowing that the purchase is again delayed.

5. seanc

seanc Member

hey rewog,

where in perth are you? i am a perth boy too.

good old south of the river....for now. haha

6. rewog

rewog Member

Hey SeanC - Hi there.
    I am also South of River (Melville). We'll have to get together one day for a pedalfest ?

ToneRanger - I understand your disappointment when a pedal you want is that expensive, but there are many examples in the Guitar world of people who make a fine product at home in their own time, and charge what they want. I think it's pretty much their choice to do that.
    I can name a few re-tuned TubeScreamer circuits that can set you back $400 to $600. Sean's stuff is pretty much original I think.
    If you buy an Eternity and don't like it, you will sell it instantly for close to the purchase price.
    I happen to think that Sean makes some of the finest pedals available on this Earth. I have no idea how long he spent fine tuning the circuits to achieve the sounds he does, but I am happy with the price I have paid for all the Lovepedals I have ( 13 ).
    I also don't know how long he spends on each pedal, but I know a lot of his stuff is tuned/biased etc. by ear. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Ezekial he made in limited numbers took hours to setup.
    I hope you manage to get yourself an Eternity, or try one. If the Eternity is out of reach for now, you might want to consider a COT50 before they go up. They are FANTASTIC.
    Good Luck.

7. drolling

drolling Member

That must have been a sale price. I got mine in September and paid 284 shipped to Canada. I think that's a fair price considering how unique & versatile the pedal is. I've been paying about the same for BJF pedals if you want to compare prices.

Yes the Timmy's a lot cheaper. I ordered one at the same time and I'm still waiting for it, so there's that to consider as well..

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No sale price... I bought mine from Steve's Music on 11/30/05 and it was $259. You're right about resale though- sold it for $240.

-Ben

9. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

As a note, The eternity's resale value is NOT that stunning...

I can understand the Timmy's prices going up by $50 or so just bc they go for so much on ebay, but a used Eternity can be had for 10-20% LESS than what it costs new, wait and all....

That's definately not a necessary price jump...ESPECIALLY since he doesn't ship the extra chips w/them anymore either...

looks like i'll just get one used now....

...then he won't have to make me a pedal(easier on him) and i won't have to give him anymore money(easier on me) ......hehehe:horse

-j

10. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Considering it's compared to Landgraffs and other top notch pedals (I own both) $289 seems like a bargain. Remember, we are not just paying for parts, but the way those parts work together to produce a desirable result.

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

A car for $289 is a bargain, a good guitar is a bargain at that price too! $200 max for a dirtbox...

Peace out dudes!

12. rewog

rewog Member

And yet in another thread you said you had just bought a D*A*M Meathead - International price $250-00, and were looking at buying 3 other D*A*M pedals. All over $200 ???
    The D*A*M Ezekiel is $300. Capatalism at work ?

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

It's all about supply and demand. I understand where Sean is coming from - up the price a bit to slow down demand. I happen to like the fact the Sean builds all the pedals himself. And I really don't care how much the components cost. Sean seems to be a great guy who makes a great product, period. If the demand is such to sustain higher prices I say good for him. Oh, and if you want extra chips you might just ask Sean when you place your order. I'm pretty sure he'll still send them if you request it.

Is the Eternitiy worth it? What's it worth to you? I got mine a few weeks ago, so I answered that question for myself. It's really like having several pedals in one. Many great sounds are contained in that little box! As always YMMV.

Merry Christmas all. I'm off to visit mom...

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

You forgot to preface your statement with: as it occurs to me...
    :AOK

15. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

None over $200 I'm afraid. Great little beasties! And nicely priced. Won't get an Ezekiel though, don't play bass...

Zeus, you've gone through the threads with a comb!

16. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Have you contacted Sean...talked to him???:jo

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

.. oh since they were mentioned ~~ BJFE pedals are that expensive for two reasons,
    One- the exchange rate - BJ is in Sweden and our economy is weak so we get killed on the exchange rate here...
    and he has a distributor ....

paying $269 for a BJF is nothing like paying $269 directly from a US maker......(except it costs you the same amount of money ; ] )

18. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Wow, lots of responses!

Rewog - really impressive Lovepedal collection! 13! Wow, dude! What's your favourite? I've got the COT 50, and it's my favourite pedal, easily! Yeah I know, it might have took Sean years to get to the point where he could make the pedals sound so sweet. But that's with anything. You have to study a bit before you can operate as a doctor, lawyer etc, and that's usually when the charging begins ;)

Perhaps my whole point is that the pricing of the boutique stuff has gone a bit insane. I know, "don't buy it if you don't like it" or so on, but I think this topic should be open for discussion and we should be able to question the politics behind the pricing here. It doesn't lead us anywhere if we just say "Leo got ir right" all the time, as they say in the Fender forum when someone suggests some mods to their guitars, know what I mean?

The boutique pedal market resembles maybe the boutique fashion market a bit. After some point you just stop paying for the quality and the desing and you pay for the name. I haven't studied marketing a lot, but have some basic knowledge of it to know that pricing plays an important role when introducing a new product. The funniest example I know is the pricing of Saab cars in the US. Atleast in the past it was so that Saab cars were quite expensive in the USA and Volvos were not. Guess what? Theyre excactly at the same price point here in Europe. The price difference was made just so Saab could have a little higher profile and to be viewed as a bit more of a luxury product.

I fall to the same trap every day, as most of us do. When I'm GASsing (and that's often) and checking out different products I just kind of subconsiously avoid cheaper products (say below 150 $) cause I just somehow think they can not be that great. And why am I such a fool? Gladly there are exceptions like the Timmy and the Hot Cake. Paul Crowther provides perfect customer service and as far as I recall I bought three Hot Cakes directly from him ca. 125 € each. And I think a pedal doesnt get much better than that. D*A*M's are also relatively "cheap" and you can get really cool custom jobs for the price as well.

As for the BJF's price...that's the only thing that keeps me not buying them. Ridicolous prices, even here in Finland although we're right next door.

The whole pedal scene is a wild wild west where normal pricing versus product quality don't go hand in hand. It's maybe because it's such a small market and places like the gear page can get a whole bunch of gear maniacs like me go totally crazy.

The outrageous prices would be totally justified if was not possible to build a quality product at a lower price! And I think the argument that the makers have fine tuned the pedals for years really dont make a difference. Isn't a level of professionalism and uniqueness demanded from anybody who wants to make a business of any kind in these days, or to put a new product to the market?

But hey, we all do whatever we want and I'm gonna go for it as well I think, 'cause what wouldn't we do on the quest for the perfect tone?
    Don't get me wrong, I think Seans products and whole vibe around Lovepedal is great, really unique stuff!

Ok, back to eating Christmas food...

19. drolling

drolling Member

I meant that 229 must have been a sale price. I've never seen them that cheap anywhere. To clarify, I got mine direct @ 259 plus 25 international shipping- AND was thrilled to get one, as Sean's apparently had difficulty shipping to Canada in the past.

My attitude about gear pricing has changed a lot over the years. When the Klon first came out, I said I'd NEVER pay 279 for an overdrive/boost pedal- I should have bought a case of them!

The first ad I ever saw for a Klon went something like- "what costs too much and takes too long to get? A Klon Centaur.."

I've never been the type of consumer who likes to pay extra AND get on waiting lists, but I'll do it when necessary.

As I've probably said on other threads, I'm pretty happy w/my guitars & amps, but these high-end FX can take an excellent rig and squeeze just a little bit more out of it- and that's worth a few hundred bucks to me.

I've got a good buddy who can wring magic out of a squire strat, a 39 dollar OD & a solid state practice amp. Guy's a phenomenal natural talent- I'm a mediocre player who needs all the help I can get, so I'll continue to support independent designers who put their heart & soul into the little boxes they build.

Happy holidays, guys!

20. basscracker

basscracker Guest

still 259.00 at musictoyz and steves music center.doubt there instock though.