What's up with the Zendrive??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitpicker, Aug 1, 2006.

1. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone else noticed that there always seem to be several "brand new" Zendrives FS on eBay? I know there have been several threads here about people who buy a pedal for the sole purpose of flipping them, but there are consistently more Zendrives available than Timmy's or Eternity's. As a prepaid waiter on the Zendrive list this makes me worried. I did not buy the pedal to flip it (don't get me wrong, if it doesn't work for me...), I bought it because there seems to be a general consensus around here that it is a great pedal, and I am always on the lookout for a way to improve my tone (I need all the help I can get!). I would much rather fall in love with any pedal and have it assume a permanent spot on my board than make a few $$.

So what is the deal - is it just a bunch of flippers, or is the Zendrive one of those pedals that works well only with certain kinds of rigs, or certain kind of styles, or what???

BTW - I play through a '65 Super Reverb using SC and P-90's - rarely use HB anymore - I run my amp hot and then add OD - will this pedal work for me???

help...

2. what?

what? Member

the same goes with zendrive 2, there's one on ebay, two in our own emporium. I believe that th zen 2 had just been released this month?

3. thebot

thebot Member

My Zendrive is one of the ones up on Ebay. I had another thread on this last week but I tried it and just couldn't fall in love with it. However this is not a comment on the quality or otherwise of the Zendrive, more it just didn't fit my needs. And in between ordering and getting a hell of a lot of gear has come and gone - the Zendrive was actually the first boutique pedal I ordered (and how I found this place) and to think it's actually nowhere near the first boutique pedal I got is crazy. In the meantime though I've found things that just better suited my sound.

I think ultimately you're bound to see a few going up because it's been so hyped and it won't suit everyone. If I'd been more educated when I ordered it and knew a bit more what I was after in terms of tone I probably wouldn't have ordered one - the Zendrive is just too subtle for my tastes, I want something a bit more full on.

Ultimately I didn't buy it to flip it but the GAS goes on (and on and on....) and it will fund some new pedal purchases. I'm trying to operate a strict 'only buy if you've sold' policy cause I can't afford to keep spending all this cash on pedals.

BTW it's more likely to work in your rig than mine - I don't tend to run my amp hot so I need all the drive coming from the pedal and the Zen probably isn't meant for that. As I understand it the Zen excels at pushing an amp already with a bit of drive.

4. fatback

fatback Member

From the description of your rig, the ZD should work well for you. Don't be afraid to experiment with rather extreme settings on the voice and tone knobs. There are several cool voices in there.

Both are great pedals, but just not for everyone. I sold a Zendrive last year. I dug it much more with hums than singlecoils with my rig, but was mainly playing a strat then. I currently have a ZD2 and wouldn't think of selling it.

Any pedal that gets good press and internet t(h)ype;) goes through this same cycle. Folks buy a pedal based on 2nd hand info. Once they try it for themselves with their own rig, ears, mind-set... it either works or doesn't. There is no (true-bypass) magic-bullet.
    :D

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I would like to clarify that I have no problem with someone turning a pedal - I have done it myself over 100 times in the last couple of years.

Just a quick clarification so people don't think I am trolling -
    I don't claim to know what is anyone's heart or mind - I assume almost all people who buy a pedal buy it to use it. Sure some are in it only for the $$ - but I think they are the vast minority. If you have recently sold your Zendrive that is your choice, and I have no problem with that - I am just curious as to why it did not trip your trigger...

My post was inspired by the unusually large number of Zendrives on eBay over the last couple of weeks, which inflated my fear that an unusual number of players were not digging the Zendrive, and therefore I might not (I have almost 6 months of GAS invested in this one!)

Thanks Fatback (I dig your little monsters!) - yours is the kind of feedback I am looking for on the pedal. I use my amp to provide 80% of my OD tone (because... well... BF Fender...), my OD's just kick me over the edge and add some flavor/color, which is probably why I dig Lovepedals (and why I avoid buying - so far, BJFE pedals, I could go broke because I think I would absolutely love them...:messedup ).

BTW Fatback - you have GOT to call Sean and have him build you a FAB 50 - tell him to give it some extra "stank". I have seen enough of your vids to believe you would dig one immensely....

6. el34power

el34power Member

Well you see! I don't think the Zen would work for me. I held back at least a dozen times to not order one because of all the hype here. Call me primitive but the Crunch box it THE one (for now:NUTS )

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

All you have to do is put a pic up with a Zen in Robben Fords pedal board and folks around here freek....kinda funny really. That said I'm on the list for a Zen 2 and am really looking forward to it. If I don't like it I'll flip it. Thats what I did with my Timmy.

I had a poll up a few weeks back for "Fav pedals within Price Brackets". Remember that one? I was surprised that the Timmy lost out to the Bad Monkey in the under 100 bux catagory. The bigger surprise was that not one Zen showed up at all...

Bob

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

dude the wait is so long it's likely some people actually made switches from humbuckers to single coils as well as changes in musical direction, etc... in the time since they ordered a zendrive. one other possibility is that the longer you must wait for the pedal, the more your expectations grow, so the same pedal through the same rig could have sounded wonderful to you with a 2 week wait, but after 6+ months, the fact that it didn't make you sound like a guitar god is disappointing and the pedal has no chance, so why not make a quick profit on ebay...

9. scottl

scottl Member

For my own tastes, I have compared the Zen with numerous OD pedals and there has been no comparison. Zen wins. Hands down. For my tastes. Not metal tone. Not over the top. Just horn like complexity. That is what I like, and apparantly what RF and the other famous cats dig as well.

10. drolling

drolling Member

After watching some of my buddies buy & sell THE SAME PEDAL over & over again, I've tried to hang on to my gear whenever possible..

As has been pointed out, often a new amp or guitar will take an old pedal out of retirement and put it back on your main board.

And that's exactly what happened w/my Zendrive. Got one last year and I just couldn't dial it in with my strat or tele - but I got a humbucker guitar a couple days ago, AND BAM.. there it was.. the tone that everyone raves about.. Good thing I didn't flip it!!

Of course, timing is everything. Just last week I gave up my Zendrive 2 to the next guy on the waiting list.. ahh well, someone out there's very happy:angel .. and I did my little bit to lighten Alf's workload:D

11. Deaj

Deaj Member

The Zendrive was my favorite OD pedal by a wide margin for quite a while. .....until I bought a Fuchs ODS-50 amp. It isn't that I liked the Zendrive any less after getting the amp. The reason I stopped using the Zendrive is that I was able to cover the same sonic territory with the Fuchs and the amp understandably does so with more complexity. I tend to only keep the gear I am using regularly and so I let go of my Zendrive once I'd decided that the Fuchs was here to stay. I still consider the Zendrive to be one of the best low gain OD pedals being made.

12. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Member

I thought mine was a good enough OD, but it did nothing that I couldn't get from one of my other ODs, so I decided to sell mine and use the money to fund other projects.

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

For those of you with experience with these pedals, How does the Zen Drive compare to an Ibanez TS808?

To an original early 80's Ibanez TS9?

To a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive?

Thanks!

14. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

They dont compare. The Zendrive has a lot more clarity, is true bypass, and has minimal compression compared to a TS 808. It also does not have the blend of the clean note and the overdriven tone at the same time. Its not to say the 808 is not a great pedal, but they are not alike at all. The Zendrive is not for everyone, as neither is the 808. There is room for both on any board though.
    Hope this helps.
    :)

15. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Help me understand. You say the Zendrive has minimal compression compared to the 808 - Please elaborate.

How would you relate the Zendrive to certain builtin amp overdrives (Boogie Mark IIc, Marshall JCM, etc.)?

I may be asking too much, but can you relate the Zendrive to tones that are already out there: "It's like a cross between an XYZ amp and an ABC", or, "it has the warmth of a <>"?

I agree there's room for all kinds of ODs, just trying to relate this unit to something I get.

Thanks,

16. Ibanez_Guy

Ibanez_Guy Member

17. scottl

scottl Member

Agree with both Deaj and Guitarman.

Any of my amps OD tones are more open and complex than the Zen. The Zen was designed to get one of the grail Dumble tones. So are my amps hence my comment. However, I have never heard any pedal get anywhere close to my Zen when shooting for that D****** style tone. In a situation where I can't bring my amp, the Zen is a shoe in.

The Zen has less of the clean+OD mix tone that other pedals have. Definately sounds more amp like to me. But, it is a tad more compressed and closed sounding when directly compared to my amps OD. There is no OD that compares to my amps OD in my experience. That is no knock on the Zen but a compliment that it is the closest.

Scott

18. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

After learning of the huge wait times from Alf, I decided to go the Ebay route. I picked up a Zendrive a couple of days ago on Ebay for $270. :mad: Another Zendrive I was watching went yesterday for $380. :eek: I placed an order with Alf for 2 Zendrives and 2 Zendrive 2's. I figure it will be a minimum of 6 months wait on the Zendrive and 12 months on the Zendrive 2. If they are still hot on Ebay, I'll get them and flip at least 2 of them. The profit I make will buy some more gear. :dude If they aren't hot, I'll just get one of the Zendrive 2's and make the next guys on the waiting list happy.

Ken

19. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

Classy. As long as you're trying to profit from Alfs' labor, why don't you have him come over to clean out the attic and wash your car?
    :BITCH

20. TimH

TimH Member

Nice first post on our board. For those of us legitimately waiting :mad: