1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with this 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PLAYLOUD, Aug 18, 2005.

1. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

TGP members, I really need some feedback here. I've had 460 views and not one question or interest on the cabinet below. Tell me what you like, don't like about it, is it to expensive. Anything would help. Thanks.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

It looks cool, but I would hate to haul it around. Something that large could be awesome if it was a detuned thing, but that is just massive (although very nice looking)!

3. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

AAHH! So that's it. Its really not that big. I think the picture just make it look like it is and it really lite. All pine.

The deminisons on it, don't have a tape measure in front of me, but I think its 19x22x10 (wxhxd)

4. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

It's cool, but it's awfully large for a 1 speaker enclosure. I've never heard of the builder either so that probably works against your trying to sell it. I never saw your add so I'm not sure how much you're asking, but typically if you've had a bunch of views and no one is making any offers or has any questions your price is probably too high. The market may just be slow at the moment so just keep trying to sell it, list it again in a month or two or just keep it.

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Oh, well that isn't so bad. The pics make it look massive. Really nice covering. That alone should make it a conversation piece. Seriously nice job.

6. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Brion, See the deminisons above. Perhaps I'll retake the picture next to the guitar to show its not really that large.

But the builder is myself and I was originally asking $395.00 unloaded, but recently dropped the price to $350.00. I check out a couple other builders and the price seems right in line and a little less. Plus you get the nice leather.

Thanks for the feedback it helps.

7. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Yeah I saw that. I was posting as you guys were posting. A picture with a familiar guitar would help. Good luck, breaking into the market may be tough.

8. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

I saw your post in the Dealer section and have thought about the cab a few times (it looks very nice and I love the tolex), but another drawback is the width. There aren't that many heads that are less than 19" wide so they'd sit on top comfortably and "look right". Of course it could be used as an extension cabinet, but (I think) when most people buy a cabinet they usually want the flexibility of being able to put a head on top if they need to ...

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The width shouldn't be an issue, there are a lot of small heads these days, and they're probably getting more popular in the home-player (not a put-down) market. Actually a Marshall 20W head is about 19" wide - have a look at Big Al's thread about his new Cornell Plexi 20, and he specifically wanted a cab that narrow for 'domestic' reasons ;). However, be careful about that top handle - it will stop you putting quite a lot of amps on top since their feet are often shorter than the thickness of that handle.

It looks nicely made, but sadly in this very conservative market a non-known brand is hard to sell, and most people won't take a chance on it, no matter if it's made well, unless the price is substantially cheaper than the established competition. This makes it very hard for new builders to break into the market, since obviously the established guys have some economies of scale already!

There's also a perception (wrong) that a cabinet is just a wooden box - "how hard can that be to build? HOW much?!!" - unless you've actually tried it, or worked out what it takes.

If I could pinpoint things that as an uneducated buyer would put me off, they would be:

¥It looks odd with no speaker in. Put one in - anything, but preferably something cool. Obviously, the description will have to specifically say that it isn't included, but it's wonderful what a little mental association can do...

¥Grey is not the most attractive color. It just isn't. I'd paint the inside black (the brush-marks in the grey make it look home-made too), and probably choose a different grille cloth.

¥It looks odd without a logo on the front, especially as you can see the mounting panel for one - like it's fallen off.

¥It's a trick of the photo lighting, but it looks 'tatty' and used, not new - there's an effect on the upper left-hand edge that looks at a glance like scuffed tolex, and a wavy white line at the bottom of the grille that looks like a spiderweb or an old damp stain. The lower third of the grille looks dirty.

No offense meant! Just my honest first impressions when I saw the pics. It took me a few seconds to realise that it wasn't just a used, home-made cabinet. When I looked harder it was clear what it was, but you don't have those few seconds with most buyers.

I hope that helps, and best of luck!

10. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

John,

Thanks so much for your feedback. From the other responses I've gotten, which have help tremendously, I've concluded that I need to retake the pictures.

The current pictures make the cabinet look big, when its pretty standard size. Think Fuch 1x2, 2x12 or TR's cab. Also the grille cloth is black, but you're correct it looks grey.

as far as the speaker goes, I didn't want to make that decision for the customer. With some many speakers out there and just read some of the threads about speakers. There's just no way I could have made the "right" decision on a speaker.

The logo was tuff for me. If you see on the back, I have an embroided logo done, but am currently working on another logo for the front.

I'm going to revise the picture baced on the feedback I've gotten. That should make a huge difference and I bet based on your feedback, it will sell soon.

11. scottl

scottl Member

Nice cab Ben!

How is the baffle attached? Is it floating or attached on all 4 sides.

Thanks!

Scott

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Hey Playloud good thing you are open to constructive criticism. You're playing in a crowded field one where reputations are already made and is something you have to earn for yourself. You need to differentiate your product but not alienate your customer. I think Johns comments were right on and he specifically mentioned many of the things I noticed. A couple more don't put your logo on the back up against the top edge of the back it creates a visual pinch point, don't put the speaker jack dead center in the upper panel use both of those as design elements of that panel and arrange them graphically. Recess the top handle or put the handle on the side. If you have to use metal corners use black or leather covered corners. Use a grill cloth that complements the leather I too thought it was gray I think the Marshal cane basket weave cloth would look better with the brown leather. Hope this can help you improve your product.

13. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i'd be intersted to see some 2x12 and smaller 1x12 designs as i'm kinda shopping for some extension cabs.

dave

14. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Flicker, give me a call today if you can. 1-336-259-4291. I do make a small 1x12 cab that I've gotten a lot of good reviews with. I'm in some meeting today and will be out of town the next couple of days, but would like to get you some additional pics.

I also sell 2x12 configurations.

Thanks,
    Ben

15. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

I like that cab. Very funky yet classy looking. It does look big though.

It would help if you took the picture with the camera at speaker level to get an undistorted picture. Maybe take a picture of if laying horizontally too.

16. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

OK, I retook the pictures of my cabinets, see the amps/cabs section and please let me know what you think.