What's w/ velcro...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lolaviola, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

ARE YOU VELCRO CRAZY?
    Do you need to cement your pedal in place in order to figure out you want to sell it?
    4 out of the last 5 pedals I've bought lately came with VELCRO.
    And they were all "used only slightly," "like new," or 2 hours old."
    So...what's up with the "2-Hour old" pedal with velcro?

2. deovinde11

deovinde11 Member

haha I dont like velcro that much either, what I am doing right now is just leaving my pedals on my board throwing a couple sweatshirts on top of them and then putting the top on the board, this way no velcro, and they dont bounce around too much. but then again I think its just because I havnt found my ideal set up s my board is changing a lot

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

If the velcro is in usable condition, I see it as a positive thing.

It's probably because TGP puts a gun to your head and forces you to buy a pedaltrain, so velcro is a necessity.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I love getting pedals with velcro already on them. Saves me the time & effort. If you gig with them, you're gonna have to attach them some way. If you're just playing at home maybe you could skip it.

5. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

as a gear cheap skate, it's a very welcome addition to any pedal purchase IMO

6. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Velcro degrades to resale for me.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Yeah, and I use bike chain links to attach.
    Do you honestly buy a pedal and velcro it before you plug it in?

8. Ghost219

Ghost219 Member

9. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I don't see the problem with having velcro on a pedal. even if you don't put the pedal on a board it will help it keep in place on carpeting.

10. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

If it spends more than a couple of days on my board, especially if I'm going to be transporting my board somewhere (like to band practice...) it gets velcro. Sometimes it takes using at practice to decide whether it is a keeper or not.

Sometimes I take it off before I put it up for sale, sometimes I don't.

Velcro on a pedal I want to buy is hardly a deal breaker. Like others have said, it saves me the trouble of adding it.

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i do agree that you should probably try things out before commiting teh velcro to it. i love using velcro, and accept it willingly on a used pedal, but to advertise 'like new' or 2 hours old and than have velcro on it is definitly false advertising of condition.

12. zachman

zachman Senior Member

In my case, it's 3M Dual Lock-- and my pedals sit on a tray in a rack, so IF I were selling a pedal to someone from my rig, it would appear barely used at all, since I don't stomp on it continuously or have spills to contend with.

13. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

The amusing part is when people make their own board and put the hook part on the board and the loop part on their pedals, and then sell their pedals with loop velcro attached. Hahaha.

14. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Is there a rule of thumb? I've seen prefab board come both ways and when I made my board a few years ago I apparently just put velcro on however I felt at the moment, then when I replaced pedals I made sure I put the matching side on the new pedal. Very frankenstein-ish.

15. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

Don't think there's a "rule". However every prefab board I've ever come across has had loop on it, and probably 99.9% of the pedals i've seen out there for sale that have velcro have had hook..
    This makes sense to me cause having hook on the pedals means it'll attatch to more than just it's velcro opposite - carpet for example.

16. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I don't use velcro or anything to fasten my pedels to my board. However, my board is jam packed and has a lip around the outer edge to keep my pedals from moving. The lid has egg-carton foam to keep the pedals from moving when the top is on. I had it special ordered from NYC Pedalboards. I would never need to velcro unless I was planning on holding my pedalboard upside down, which I will never do.