What's with all the 11r's for sale?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by blynn894, Feb 12, 2012.

1. blynn894

blynn894 Supporting Member

Just looking in the emporium, has it run it's course? I always wanted to try one, but never could scrape the cash together.

2. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

I think a lot of people are trying to get $$$ together to get a Kemper or maybe an AXE..

Or maybe they are just hating on AVID because they suck the big one..

3. blewis

blewis Member

Well for one...

If someone was an 11R early adopter, and they want to upgrade to PT10, it's cheaper to sell their old box and go buy the new PT10 bundled 11R.

Avid rapidly went from PT9 to PT10 and they're charging $500 + $50 iLok to get from PT8 to PT10. You can't buy PT9 new anywhere.

Mac guys with Lion are having trouble getting PT8 to work.

Also, it's not really easy to tell if Avid is serious about keeping the development going or not.

4. avalonpb

avalonpb Member

Blewis is right on the money here.

Eleven requires Protools as an Editor. PT8LE is not fully compatible with OSX Lion. It actually costs more to buy a used Eleven Rack and upgrade to PT10 than it does to buy a new Eleven Rack with PT10.

If you PM the folks selling the 11Rs you'll find they ALL have PT8LE with them.

If you don't need the computer interface part then it may be a good buying opportunity. However, if you will ever need to use ProTools with Lion (say to import user patches) it is not a good deal.

I feel for these guys. I paid over $1K for a Liquid Mix when they first came out. I've not been able to sell it here for $250. There is nothing wrong with the unit or LM software (it works with Lion). Focusrite dropped the price on the unit by half within a year of it hitting the market.

5. birdie_in_texas

The problem is, brand new with PT10 on ebay for $719, and one for $699 from vendors..

Seems like it would just be better to keep the thing and make it work..

6. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

I was one of the people watching Winter NAMM intently on new offerings in modelers and was somewhat disappointed. -

I nixed buying a new or used Eleven rack for the reasons mentioned in this thread about Protools upgrades and all the costs and headaches involved. Not only do I not want the older version with the upgrade headaches, but I'd be scared if I bought one now with PT10 and then PT11 comes out later this year. BS. I don't want a modeler tied to any program that is so transient. I'd rather just keep my GSP1101 for another year.

Also I HATE the fact that even though you can get a foot controller to play nice with the Eleven rack, it is nowhere near as easy as plugging a Control 2 into a GSP1101 - or for that matter a FBV MKii Shortboard into a HD Pro.

7. birdie_in_texas

So you guys are guessing that AVID is "done" with the 11R..?

8. shasha

shasha Member

I don't think that they're done with it, but it's basically how they go about business. The 11R at some point is being used as a big dongle for PT and if you want to continue with them you are going to have to spend money or not bother going any further than what you've got with PT8. To be fair it sold with that version and it still works and actually worked fairly well. But as we all know computers age and if you want to go further they'll gladly take your money.

I am glad that I was able to unload mine when I did, but even then I took a major loss and it took ages to get it to move. That was with the EXRP, all the updates, a bunch of good patches, software transfer, original packaging and manuals in mint condition.

The big thing for me though was that after having it for nine months and looking at ideascale.com and seeing over 200 user requests and suggestions for new firmware features and bug fixes that not one single release was made. I spent some time on the user forums and they've got a pretty faithful and extremely friendly customer/user base and they made no effort to do anything to help them out....but the last straw for me was the upgrade path to PT10. I mean if you've already got one of the 11R's and now they're bundling the newest version in there and you've got to drop $500....well that's not cool at all.

9. Chadley

Chadley Member

I am an early adopter and am considering purchasing a new 11R to get the PT10 upgrade....but I am keeping my old one as well. I want two. But, I have PT8LE working in Lion really well. I don't know what makes my situation different than other guys, but it has worked flawlessly from day 1 in Lion.

10. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

The DM emporium has "seasons". A few months ago it was axe FX standard season. More recently it was GSP1101 and HD500 season. Last june it was 11R season.

11. nsriley

nsriley Member

I hated being tied to PT for editing on your computer, even though you could open it and not have to run a full session.

12. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Yup. I had my 11rack on the emporium with no luck. I put it up on Ebay with a buy it now that was more with shipping than I originally listed it for on the emporium and it sold in 6 hours.

Now is a bad time for 11R on TGP, but not anywhere else. It's a great unit. even though I sold mine, I still recommend it to anyone who's considering it.