What's with all the "Plexi" pedals that sound nothing like a Plexi?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman3001, Jan 7, 2020.

1. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I read your posts, I just don’t believe you. That is all.

RolandKorg likes this.
  2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

lol...I'm hardly confrontational. I asked a very simple question -

To paraphrase -

Me: "Why doesn't pedal X have the tonal characteristics one would expect it to have given its name?"

The TGP villagers: "You're an idiot if you expect a pedal to magically transform your cheap amp into literally Paul Kossoff's touring rig!!"

Me: "umm...wtf? That's not what I asked.... :confused"

TGP Villagers: "Well you buy cheap crap and don't know what you're talking about."

Me: "What does any of that have to do with the simple question I asked?"

TGP Villagers: "Stop being so angry and confrontational!!!"

Me: :dunno

Jess 1971 likes this.
  3. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Ah, ok. Good day then.

MmcGrouty likes this.
  4. Vox66

Vox66 Supporting Member

Now I want a Plexi!!

5. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

It's a pretty cathartic experience to play through one at full volume.

Tommy Biggs and HeavyCream like this.
  6. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Heck, most amps that claim to sound like Plexis don't sound like Plexis. They usually are 2203/2204 preamps voiced to sound more like a Plexi. Pedals will not sound the same - ever.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. bluescube

bluescube Member

I like the Lovepedal Purple Plexi, tho it gets JC800 like too

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. Vox66

Vox66 Supporting Member

I’ve never had the pleasure..... one day!

9. manimal

manimal Member

Glorious....

HeavyCream likes this.
  10. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Beat me to it. I wouldn't expect it to sound like much more than an amplified can full of bees.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. RayRay

RayRay Gold Supporting Member

hahahah. I just popped in on this thread to see what 13 pages on this topic looked like. This one is getting near pure gold status!

Tommy Biggs and Jess 1971 like this.
  12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

If you would have bothered to read the thread, you'd know that no one expects a pedal of any cost to sound like a 1959 SLP through a 4x12. Who do you believe said a pedal of any cost should sound like a 1959 SLP through a 4x12?

If anything, this thread has really highlighted the fact that people on the internet just blindly reply to posts they never bothered to read.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Jess 1971 likes this.
  13. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Coming in as hot as a mouthful of siracha, wow! I didn't think anybody would actually expect that level of accuracy from any pedal. I was remarking more that a $30 pedal would sound like crap no matter what it was supposed to sound like. Whether it sounded like a Plexi - or any pedal's best attempt - or not isn't necessarily my point. Buy cheap crap, get cheap crap, ya know?

But, terribly sorry to have offended you. I had merely read the first several pages, not all 13.

14. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

We already covered that the sound a pedal makes is not necessarily related to its cost. But thanks for playing. Even before the deluge of inexpensive Chinese clones, people loved many cheap pedals by companies such as Danelectro. No need to be a price snob. It only reflects poorly on you especially given the fact that many inexpensive pedals sound great.

That said, this thread really had nothing to do with cost until a few of the TGP price snobs turned it into that, in addition to their trolling.

15. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

I don't dispute that cheap things can be good - I'm playing a Sterling as my primary instrument right now despite plenty of price snobbery from this forum about how it isn't "the real thing" - but I really do believe that a $30 pedal just can't be expected to do much that would please the ear. Maybe we have a different minimum threshold for that. I'd tend to think that if something costs less than a TV remote, for example, it probably won't be the most inspiring piece of equipment. I understand that you, and others here and all around the world, disagree.

The core of your original post, though, can be answered fairly simply. Pedals that claim to sound like a Plexi often do not because of a wide range of factors, including but not limited to the sonic preferences of the designer/builder, the particular amplifiers or recordings used as a reference, and the pricepoint, which will directly impact the components that can be used in that pedal, for better or worse and not necessarily in a way that means "more $$$ = better sound." Sound is subjective, and what doesn't sound like a plexi to me might be a dead ringer to the guy who put it together. I take all pedal descriptions with a few thousand grains of salt. Almost as much as you include in each of your replies in this thread, but just almost.

16. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

You have a price bias whether you like it or not. When Mooer pedals first came out they were $40 or less. Then Donner came out with their clones for even less. Many people actually prefer the Mooers and Donners over the pedals they are clones of. Others simply can't tell the difference. I have a $25 Eno clone of a Rat that I guarantee you no one would be able to distinguish from the Rat it is a clone of. It even uses the same chip.

I already mentioned Danelectro.

There is no reason a Chinese factory that has mastered low cost mass production can't make a $30 clone of a $150 pedal that sounds either identical to, indistinguishable from, or better than the original. Most simple dirt pedals contain maybe $5 worth of parts, possibly even less if bought in bulk or in some cases, made by the factory that puts the pedals together. There is NOTHING magical about a $150 TS clone made with $5 or $10 worth of parts that can't be replicated by a mass production Chinese factory for a much lower cost. Much of that $150 is the labor cost in the US market, or other country that has high labor costs. Also what they pay for the parts, in a much smaller quantity, which can be a much higher cost than the Chinese factory can provide the parts to themselves for. You also have to add cost of living, R&D time, etc... and in some cases an artificial markup and deliberately keeping the supply low to drive the prices up even higher. The physical components themselves are very cheap in most cases. And as has been pointed out earlier, an automated manufacturing process will usually yield much more consistent results than hand-wiring a production run of pedals.

This isn't even MBA level stuff. This is stuff that would be covered in a primer course before even getting into Economics 101.

As for the original point I made, once we disregard the trolls and people who simply didn't read the topic, I think the most common explanations people gave are basically that the term "Plexi" has become relatively generic and many pedal makers just slap it on any dirt pedal because it will sell regardless of what it sounds like, in addition to what you mentioned - "Plexi" can mean different things to different people. To some it's a low to medium gain tone (Allman Brothers), to others it's a Plexi amp with everything on 10 being pushed by two Tubescreamers, etc...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  17. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I recently got a Rowin Plexion that is way more JCM800 than anything. If it has any “plexi” in it, it’s the hot roses 70’s EVH Plexi sound.

Be that as it may, I love the pedal. Great hard rock tone.

Gasp100 and spentron like this.
  18. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

I live, eat, and breathe Marshalls. Nothing sounds better than my cranked 1959HW head into my 1960ahw, (ok, im a high gain guy so I do boost it...). Anyways, I sometimes want a fender clean tone. So, can anyone recommend a "Fender in a box" pedal for my cranked plexi?
    :p:D:eek:

19. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Absolutely. Check out the Joyo American sound. Here's the thing though, it sells on Amazon for $35 but if you want it to sound good, you'll have to pay them at least $200 for it. The pedal will magically alter its sound based on how much you paid for it.

:hide2

BigBadOrange likes this.
  20. White Limo

White Limo Member

Relevant follow-up: Do new pedals sound better than used pedals? :D

I have to thank this thread though, I’m really interested in the Tech 21 Plexi pedal now. Videos sound really good, and love the built in boost.

Kinda funny you guys are arguing so much though. Obviously a pedal has a core voice, AND that voice is affected by the amp. A “Plexi” pedal is going to sound a LOT closer to how it’s supposed to sound through a tube power amp into a 4x12 then through a 1x8 Peavey Rage. (No offense to the latter.) I could absolutely see someone playing a good pedal though a small amp with a bad speaker and concluding that it sounds nothing like a Plexi. But OP has a good point that some of these pedals aren’t really capturing the Plexi thing at all, through any amp.