What’s with JCM 800 Prices?

rock4ever

I think, within America, it's combined impacts of brexit and supply issues from COVID-19.

A rising tide lifts all ships. As price of retail units goes up, so do the used ones, simply because people will pay it to save several hundred off retail.

I sold one for just under $2600 recently. Buyer paid shipping and didn't try to haggle down. I paid 1450 for it in 2017, and have a jvm satriani head making it expendable.

I think retail price could continue to go up due to covid impacts not being fully priced in. See what used costs If it gets so crazy Marshall has to discontinue the 100w units.

Neptical

Even a 2205 is pushing absurd pricing limits now. I wanted one but having an SL-X 2500, DSL50/DSL100 - think I'm all set now.

dreamspace

Even a 2205 is pushing absurd pricing limits now. I wanted one but having an SL-X 2500, DSL50/DSL100 - think I'm all set now.
I lucked out last year, when some local guy sold no less than three 2205 heads, for $500 a pop.

Unfortunately, they sounded like **** - old tubes, old caps, scratchy pots, the whole nine yards. Probably part of a backline since the day they were bought new.

Neptical

I lucked out last year, when some local guy sold no less than three 2205 heads, for $500 a pop.

Unfortunately, they sounded like **** - old tubes, old caps, scratchy pots, the whole nine yards. Probably part of a backline since the day they were bought new.

Wait, so did you buy one? ...all of them ? Lol

Damn, and I thought I had a deal with my '83 2204 for $200 in '96.
I bought my 2204 (1982) and matching 1960a 4-12 (g12-65 loaded) for $200 for the whole shooting match in mid-2016…Craigslist used to have some good deals on it…

873ACE3A-C51A-4074-A7C5-0F3B6A055D71.jpeg

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
And to think I was considering selling my old beat up ‘84 2204.:huh

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
First of all, here's a list of all the JMPs I currently have and all of these were bought the last 2.5 years. I'm not posting this to brag or anything, I just want you to realise that I know what I'm talking about and I actually have some "skin in the game".

I'm not theorizing from my armchair. I had even more JMPs back in the 90s which I basically bought a dime a dozen and I foolishly sold all of them in late 2000s for a very nice profit, but later on I realized that I shouldn't have sold all of them, or -at least- I should have kept some of them as I saw prices creeping up gradually but steadily during the 2010s. Some of those I had and sold were so insanely clean and 100% original that I could easily sell them today for at least $3,000/each. One of those was a NOS piece.

So anyway, the cheapest one of the current list was bought for approx. $1,600 and it was the 80 JMP2203. Please bear in mind that all of these examples are 100% original with no mods at all. I also live in Europe, but that doesn't change anything; on the contrary, Marshalls in Europe can generally be found for lower prices than in the US.

Just because you were able to find one or two for $1,200 doesn't mean that this is the median price. Far from it. You were just lucky and found them at a great price. Last month I bought a Vintage Modern 2466 head for $300. Yes you read that right, it's not a typo. That doesn't mean in any way that 2466s can be found for $300 no matter how patient you are, it was pure luck.

As for "y'all gotta learn some patience" , I'm a trader/investor by profession, so patience is my domain. :rotflmao

I didn't just buy the first amp I laid my eyes on, but to be 100% frank and fair with you, I did actually find two JMP2203s one for €1,000 (which is basically $1,200) and it was very clean and 100% original and another for €1200 which was also a great bargain. But these were the exceptions and not the rule.
I love my vintage modern , way better than any 800 I’ve owned. I’m still hoping to find a 425b bottom cab for a full stack. None to be found.

lgehrig4

Gold Supporting Member
I love my vintage modern , way better than any 800 I’ve owned. I’m still hoping to find a 425b bottom cab for a full stack. None to be found.

I've had my sites on a 2466 for a while now. I've heard clips of this doing vintage Marshall all the way up to Slash/80's metal, but what type of tones do you think it excels at?

Strat_lover

I bought my 2204 (1982) and matching 1960a 4-12 (g12-65 loaded) for $200 for the whole shooting match in mid-2016…Craigslist used to have some good deals on it…

View attachment 474922

For that price, I wouldn't be posting pics of it... It was probably stolen and sold to you for a quick buck. I can't fathom in the internet age any other reason for selling something that cheap.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I've had my sites on a 2466 for a while now. I've heard clips of this doing vintage Marshall all the way up to Slash/80's metal, but what type of tones do you think it excels at?
I’m certainly No Marshall expert despite having several, but to me it’s the VH sound plug and play.

Dr.Twang!

The natural tension between art and commerce
Silver Supporting Member
For that price, I wouldn't be posting pics of it... It was probably stolen and sold to you for a quick buck. I can't fathom in the internet age any other reason for selling something that cheap.
In 2015 I found this 72 Superlead (no cab)one morning on fleabay listed as “Working Marshall amp” $450 BIN. I was looking for a cadaver to mod and use as a demonstrator for PPIMV jobs.
Ex wife selling it charged $50 shipping, got here and couldn’t believe my eyes…no mods, holes, caps, tranny, or ac cord change.
Ive left it alone.

Last edited:

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
Really? I never would have guessed that.
I don’t find such nuance in the sound I think like some VH fanatics do. It’s close enough so I go with it.
I will say it’s by far the heaviest amp head I own.

Doubtful. This guy claimed to be the original owner since 1982. Knew the year of the amp and cab, and said he gigged it from ‘82-92. Was selling as his hand hurt (he was a mason), and was leaving the playing to the “young guys” (at the time he appeared to be in his early 60’s). He conveyed way too much personal knowledge about the amp, good settings, and what repairs it needed to be a thief or a fence, imho. He even gave me a couple of stomp boxes and an audio snake when I was leaving. What kind of thief lowballs himself and gives “bonus gifts”?:D:D:p

Strat_lover

Doubtful. This guy claimed to be the original owner since 1982. Knew the year of the amp and cab, and said he gigged it from ‘82-92. Was selling as his hand hurt (he was a mason), and was leaving the playing to the “young guys” (at the time he appeared to be in his early 60’s). He conveyed way too much personal knowledge about the amp, good settings, and what repairs it needed to be a thief or a fence, imho. He even gave me a couple of stomp boxes and an audio snake when I was leaving. What kind of thief lowballs himself and gives “bonus gifts”?:D:D:p

In that case, I would consider that among the luckiest of gear scores I have ever heard haha

In that case, I would consider that among the luckiest of gear scores I have ever heard haha
I couldn’t believe it myself. It had been on Craigslist as an ad wanting $200 for a GK 250ML combo and a Marshall 4x12 cab, with no pictures or further description. It was when we started texting that he mentioned the “needs work” head. I figured it was all too good to be true…surprisingly, it was not!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom