• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's with some people?

dougdnh

Here's something that's been bugging me for years. We have gone to many free outdoor music performances in parks, street corners, parking lots, etc. Often the bands are very good, and putting everything they have into it. It's very odd how some people passing by don't even seem to notice - don't look up, stop or in any way acknowledge what's going on. How can some people be so uninterested?

j_el_jee

Silver Supporting Member
Often the bands are very good, and putting everything they have into it. It's very odd how some people ... don't even seem to notice - don't look up, stop or in any way acknowledge what's going on. How can some people be so uninterested?
Man you're describing folks at my last gig... in a club... and we were the headliner. Should I take a hint??

Low Watts

When you take a plane, do you stop by to ponder and look at the engineering and craftmanship that goes into making a hundreds thousand pounds of aluminium flying at 10 thousands feet.

When you walk into a public parc, do you take time to appreciate the floral arrangement, how the grass is cut, how things are kept clean....

Answer is in the question, they are not interested.

We are all caught up in our thought sometimes, and the list of things worth paying attention to is endless and vary depend on who you ask. I don't think there's anything to judge here.

Saltbath86

Yeah, I have several friends just don't like live music and for some it's incredibly anxiety inducing.
Also, I used to work downtown in a small city that would constantly have live music/events outside of work. I'd get off around 10 pm on a Friday night and would have to walk past all of it on my way home.
Some nights I was just too tired/overcome with FOMO to care.

Cal Walker

When you take a plane, do you stop by to ponder and look at the engineering and craftmanship that goes into making a hundreds thousand pounds of aluminium flying at 10 thousands feet.
No. But I would wonder why this "hundreds thousand pounds of aluminum (or aluminium, as you put it)" would be flying at "10 thousands feet" and burning all that fuel. Is something wrong with the pressurization or some other system that would require us to be flying this low?

Last edited:

LolainNB

Well those people also don't go up to the PA and check out the specs. Or get close to the stage and have a look at you pedalboard. To them music playing from your live act, a recorded source is just music. They have more important things to do.

I think if they don't even notice you that means that you were good. So good actually, that they were able to seamlessly absorb your music without disturbing their outing.

When I pay live, People always look my way. The dissonance and lack of rhythm is jarring to them I think

Low Watts

No. But I would wonder why this "hundreds thousand pounds of aluminum (or aluminium, as you put it) would be flying at "10 thousands feet" and burning all that fuel. Is something wrong with the pressurization or some other system that would require us to be flying this low?
I'm glad to see that you are paying attention to planes much more than I do. :)

PdL

Gold Supporting Member
Here's something that's been bugging me for years. We have gone to many free outdoor music performances in parks, street corners, parking lots, etc. Often the bands are very good, and putting everything they have into it. It's very odd how some people passing by don't even seem to notice - don't look up, stop or in any way acknowledge what's going on. How can some people be so uninterested?
Even more surprising, many civilians remain unaware of life’s basic necessities like owning a small arsenal of $250+ boutique stomp boxes & half a dozen electric guitars. :thud

Last edited:

Liko

Hell, we've played gigs that sound a lot like what you say. Welcome to music as an omnipresent "service" that nobody bothers to pay for anymore.

That really is the basic problem, and it's twofold. First, "if it's being given away it must be worthless". Busking out on a street corner is basically enhanced begging, and has been for centuries. While you may not consider what the band was doing to be busking, there are significant parallels to draw to live music acts booked as part of a wider entertainment event. Whether the event coordinator is charging admission or not, whenever there's other stuff to do at the event, you're background music for those other activities. Don't expect people to stop whatever they're doing to clap and cheer in between your songs. Music is omnipresent in our lives, but it's largely been relegated to this role, outside a few more traditional "active listening" events.

Second, and closely related, is "I'm waiting for the real acts to take the stage". Even in "active listening" situations - concerts, music festivals - where the music is what you came for, you're usually there for the headliner. I saw this at Kenny Chesney's Trip Around The Sun tour when it came to DFW. Brandon Lay opened the night to a smattering of people on the stadium floor, a thousand max, most of whom were barely paying attention. You or I might kill to play in front of a thousand people, but for a signed touring country artist with charting hits, playing to a mostly-empty stadium, knowing how many more people are going to be there in a few hours, is a disappointment, and the frustration showed as he walked off-stage after his set. Kenny himself played to a packed house, not a bare spot on the floor, and even with an obvious sore throat (he used every trick in the book to stretch his voice to last the set) the crowd ate it up.

Such is the life of a journeyman live act. You're "playing for exposure", riding the coattails of the bigger act to play in front of their crowd, because your own name doesn't yet have the draw to fill this kind of venue alone. Brandon was expecting more of that crowd. A lot of musicians hear "playing for exposure" and gag, because that really means "play for free/gas money", but it really is an investment. It's not just "waiting to be noticed", it's "paying your dues", building up the local fanbase one fan at a time, which catches the eye of local event promoters and venue owners, who talk you up to the journeyman headliners looking for a local lead-in, you impress them and their crowds and you now have patrons in the tour circuit who ask for you when they're in town and talk you up to the people they open for. Nobody ever got their name at the top of a stadium tour without weaving themselves into this web, and unfortunately the road to the top is paved with ramen noodles.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
I think back to when I was taking guitar lessons as a kid. I practiced my ass off cause I liked my teacher and wanted to show him I was motivated. And most importantly I loved music! I thought everybody felt like that. Then later I started teaching and was really bummed thinking I was a terrible teacher because not all my students practiced like I did when I was a kid, though I had some students who really worked hard! I ran into my old teacher and told him my frustration and he laughed and told me I was his only student who practiced like that! He said some people just don't like music.
I have students who can't name the artist who plays any of the songs they like, can't name a guitarist they like listening to? It's weird!!?!!! I do my best to impart knowledge and recommend what to check out for listening, but ultimately a lot of people don't have an interest. Which to me seems strange to want to learn to play an instrument but have no interest in music.
More to the point, if even a mediocre band is playing I'm gonna check out at least a few tunes cause I love music and I'm interested to hear their take on how to do things! Not everyone feels this way!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom